1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's new to me!

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by big_onion, Jun 1, 2017.

1. big_onion

big_onion Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just bought a new-to-me 2013 Prius v Five from Carmax with 90k miles. I had to sell back my beloved VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI and was struggling with what to replace it with. My former work commute was 120 miles round trip daily, my new commute is 12 miles round trip, so getting something a little easy on gas was important to me. I'm spoiled filling up once a month! I test drove a Kia Niro and a Hyundai Ioniq and am glad I went with the used Prius v. I had lurked here for a bit to read up on reliability and it seemed like a nobrainer to me ... and saved me about $10k!

Anything I should keep in mind as a new owner? Things to look out for as I approach 100k?

Glad to be here and look forward to talking with you all!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!
    do you have the service history? you may want to consider changing the tranny fluid, and take a look at the maintenance manual. a big service is due around 120k. wouldn't hurt to take a close look at you air and cabin filters, and brakes.
    all the best!(y)

3. big_onion

big_onion Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't have much of it, but I do have a copy of the thorough Wisconsin inspection it went through, and Carmax tends to do a pretty thorough inspection and an oil change before they sell the cars, as far as I know. Looks like they put new tires on it, too.

Changing transmission fluid wouldn't hurt -- is it a rough job? I got used to doing all the maintenance on my VW myself (DSG, oil) and some other repairs so I don't mind getting in there myself!

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota did not put changing the ATF WS in the transaxle in their scheduled maintenance, so any routine you select would be fine.

I chose 30,000 miles, then 90,000 miles then every 90,000 miles; as most contamination seems to occur early.

The process is not hard, but it needs a helper. Get 4 quarts (or litres) of ATF WS at the parts counter and two crush washers for the plugs. There is no filter. Besides normal tool you need a 10 mm allen key.

Have a long neck funnel or 3 feet of tubing that fits your normal funnel.

Jack up the car and get it level. be sure you have solid stands so you are not trusting the jack.

Un do the fill hole first, so there is no chance you drain the oil and then discover you can't refill.

Drain the ATF and use the new washer when re inserting the plug 29 ft/lbs.

Have the helper lower the long end of a 3 foot funnel for you to put in the fill hole.

They can pour the first three quarts without worry, the last one only needs about 1/2 quart and it will spill out.

That is the official way to know it is full, so you use the other new washer when tightening the fill plug to 29 ft/lbs.

He uses a pump and undoes the drain plug first.

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Go to a Toyota dealer and have them check for any open recalls that have not been done, especially the inverter software update.

6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five