1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's not the car you drive that makes you green

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by disco, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    OP Troll gets pwned. Just another day in the PC park :)

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Apr 19 2007, 05:26 PM) [snapback]426444[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol:

3. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Apr 18 2007, 11:09 AM) [snapback]425355[/snapback]</div>
    That was flippin' funny! "...Deliverance is a documentary." :lol:

On topic, I would ride a cow to work, but it fails the methane
    emission test. :(

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patrickindallas @ Apr 20 2007, 06:22 AM) [snapback]426636[/snapback]</div>
    UGG!!! Cows are filthy and disgusting. I worked on a dairy farm and I'd never ride a cow. Horses are another matter. Though I don't actually know how to ride one, and I admit the droppings would be an issue we'd need to address, there's much to be said for horses as transportation. They are fuelled by biomass, with no special conversion required; they produce the fertilizer needed to grow their fuel; and when not serving as transportation, they can be utilized as pets, though they are not suitable as housepets.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 20 2007, 10:20 AM) [snapback]426679[/snapback]</div>
    There was a time, not so long ago in the grand scheme of things, that cars were considered cleaner and safer than horses.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i worked on a dairy farm too. i've ridden cows. though they're not nearly as nice to ride as horses, and kinda just amble along wherever they care to go. but i wouldn't go as far as to call them filthy and disgusting.

7. acdii

acdii Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 20 2007, 09:40 AM) [snapback]426709[/snapback]</div>
    Compared to horses they are! YUCK! Horse poop grows great shrums! Horse poop also does not smell any where near as bad as that soupy slop that exits the rear end of a cow, and after a few days, doesnt smell at all.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Apr 20 2007, 07:28 AM) [snapback]426691[/snapback]</div>
    How times change!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 20 2007, 07:40 AM) [snapback]426709[/snapback]</div>
    Any time we had to park the pickup truck in the pasture, all the cows would amble over and press their noses against the windows, covering them with slime. They drool constantly from their noses, and as ACD points out, their poop is awful. I hated them.

9. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Greener than You!

I drive 12000 miles a year, and in my Prius, I am greener than you driving those cars for 10000 miles. You would have restrict the your driving down around 6000 miles to compete with the Prius in the Chicagoland snarl of traffic. And that assumes you drive your cars in optimum Otto engine conditions (55 mph steady cruise).

Anything published should be skeptically evaluated. Especially the incredibly bizarre stuff about the Prius recently put out. I think allot of it is bought and paid for by Toyota's competition. Buisness types have been in charge of the US Car industry for so long, they just cannot let the engineers do their thing. So there is all this guerilla marketing going on. Like the London Sunday Mail article, and the CNW Research bit. Besides all the short term testing (like Jeremy Clarckson and all the other industry inbred media) and consequent dismissive car reviews. These guys know where the bread is buttered, and its not by the car companies who are paying for the masters and PhD level engineers to reinvent the car. They cannot afford it!

BTW, that Spitfire is a good electric car conversion project. Several have been done here in the states.

Electrical Powerplants (except for the socalled Peaking Plants built from old Boeing 707 engines) are much more thermally efficient than any production car. These plants run for decades and decades. Even a small improvement pays off. The best theromodynamic design available at the time of construction is used. I read an on-line engineering paper that reported a turbine powerplant with reburn ,and other stages is better than 55 percent thrermally efficient.

10. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greener Than You! @ Apr 18 2007, 09:36 AM) [snapback]425252[/snapback]</div>
    Have you considered the environmental consequences involved with the actual CONSTRUCTION of the cars?

For example: it takes roughly 10,000 gallons of water in the process to make a vehicle. The pollution involved with the transport of the vehicle to the dealer? The amount of electricity (which is made usually from coal by the way) which is used in the assembly of the car? The lead that goes into the batteries?

OWNING a car means that the car has to be BUILT. Building a car damages the enviroment!

Edit: argh, the fag is gone.