1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Its not warming: data vs. meme

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 2, 2016.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    You have all heard it said that “Temperature has not increased for 18 years” or something similar. I have previously objected that this conclusion is based on a narrow reading of satellite microwave irradiance record, and that it wholly ignores surface air T measurements, and other heat storage in oceans.

I had also heard it said that this narrow reading was only correct if you start right at 1998 (previous large El Nino), and any starting time earlier or later shows T increases. If that were true, it would not only be a narrow view of the record, but a uniquely narrow view.

Being a curious fellow, I downloaded the complete UAH TLT data set by way of DrRoySpencer.com , used only the ‘global’ data column and averaged that over calendar years. All analyses end with the most recently posted 2015 November, but I could choose any starting date. I calculated linear trends as oC per decade, and correlations between years (intervals, actually) and T.

If T increased the same amount every year, the correlations would always be 1.0 and the slope always constant (whatever it is). I wondered how starting from times other than 1998 would look.

Here’s your graph. Same vertical axis is used for decadal T trends and correlation R. Thick black line is T trend and the thin red line is correlation. Using the entire record from 1979 gives R=0.66 and T trend = 0.11 oC per decade, as has previously been reported for UAH TLT (not everyone misinterprets it!).

T trend stays about the same, but correlations decrease until 1993. Then, both metrics fall. Clearly, annual TLT does not follow a straight line (not that we should have expected it to do so).

For a 1998 start year, you get nothing, nada, zip. That being the ‘no T trend’ idea. But it is not quite unique in the data set. One could start from 2002 or 2010 to find small T trends. But low correlations show that justice is not being done to the dataset thereby.

Before anyone gets excited about high T trends and correlations from more-recent starting years, a note of caution please. These are sub-decadal trends (so calculating ‘per decade’ is already on weak footing), and ‘perfect’ 1.000 correlation from 2014 to 2015 means nothing more than ‘two points define a straight line’. So don’t be doing that.

Conclusions: Starting at 1998 does grave injustice to the entire UA TLT dataset, and it would seem appropriate for Spencer to strongly object to any such misinterpretations of his long and careful work.

There are other poor choices with more recent starting years; 1998 is only the worst one. We await Spencer’s defense of his entire record’s 0.11 degree per decade. The most recent decades’ trend (0.13) is not very different from that.

If for any reason one is inclined to discard ‘early years’, pre-1993 should be seen as a limit, after that, lying begins. Maybe I should choose a softer word?

Searches for fraud in climate-change research don’t interest me because there are other, more fundamental issues. But for someone seeking to find fraud, a look here might be fruitful.
    UAH TLT.jpg

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    >>Is the El Nino considered a global event or just a local USA event on temperature? Sounds like global in nature. Huge differences in US climate this winter.

>>Regarding the Paris "agreement" to try to hold to 1.5 deg C increase (stretch goal I know) how much is considered to have already happened?

>>As far as your analysis thank you but I do not personally have enough expertise to argue the point. I think you are showing the data in a different way than the "T-rise hiatus" analysts folks. If you have put your finger on a fatal scientific flaw of that on-going argument, congratulations are in order.

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    ENSO (el nino/La Nina) is an Pacific Ocean Osculation that has repercussions in global weather.

2015 will be around 1 degree C above pre-industrial levels
    if you subscribe to the consensus sensitivity of 3 then there is already enough ghg to produce a 1.54 degree C temperature increase (3 C x log 2(400ppm/280ppm))
    Which means either the sensitivity consensus from IPCC is wrong, or we are at maximum ghg in the atmosphere for that 1.5 C goal. The pledges so far promise that there will be over 2 degrees of warming.

The hockey stick graph in 2001 IPCC publication cherry picked the 1998 excepionally hot year for the time as the end point, and hottest year so far. It came from papers, but there really was no excuse for going from averaged data to individual years of data. That gave a very misleading expectation that temperatures would continue to rise as fast as that very fast blade.

Picking that same year from the chart's end point, there has been an hiatus, if we are looking just at individual years. IMHO this is equally misleading. If you use a moving average instead, there is a decrease warming rate, but the world has been warming, as expected. The problem comes in defense of the hockey stick. If you embrace the bad statistically methods used there, then you can use similar bad statistical methods to make the similar claim of a pause.

wjtracy likes this.
  4. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The difference between 1degC and 1.54degC is due to thermal lag. Think of it as thermal inertia. It is similar to the case where you set a burner on high on a stove but it still takes some time for the water in the tea kettle to boil.

Bill the Engineer

5. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    They're kissing cousins? :rolleyes:
    Sorry, couldn't resist!

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...the main thing the "hiatus" observers are saying is at some point lets say 2020 after the El Nino impact is over that the rate of increase needs to not continue to decline, and still have the models still be correct.

That much I understand because I have used models all my life, and made some of my own models, so I am very sensitive to using models to try to predict God's natural order of behavior. Often times in my career I got obtained data that conflicted with the models. I am full of bullet holes, believe me. I am a data believer vs. model believer...there are 2 types of people..it turns out.

I do believe CO2 is going up ...that's data. I do believe CO2 is a greenhouse gas.

#6 wjtracy, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    Merkey likes this.
  7. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well that is one possible hypothesis, but ... for it to be tested we need more detail. How many years is the delay? What is the transfer function? What parts are natural variation?

Since models are not nailing these down too well yet, we also must assume the null hypotesis is possible, sensitivity is not 3. Another decade or two should help tell the ghg climate signal from the weather noise. T Here may be other climate signals in addition too ghg.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Dealing with 'noisy data' is as much an art as applied statistical analysis. I deal with network data and the averages are less important than the saturation events that cause noticeable impacts on users. Averages have a place but they often suppress the peaks and valleys. The temperature records have a similar characteristics:
    • too cold - crops can fail and critters die
    • too hot - crops can fail and critters die
    So I find it more enlightening to plot the local maximums and local minimums. Unlike the average, these are the extreme events that bound whatever is being measured and have effects:
    [​IMG]
    Trends of peaks and valleys parallels the average giving a cleaner, trend.

The deniers put their eggs on 1998 and 2015 is blowing it away. I have no doubt that with a few cooler cycles, 2015 will be the new anchor for the next 'pause' claim. But deniers have strange understandings of trends:
    [​IMG]

I'm also not a great fan of using averages versus a Gausian weighted average that applies a stronger score to the middle values and weaker as the data points move away from the middle. It has the advantage of preserving the peaks and valleys. In contrast, a linear average that mutes the peaks and valleys.

In about 30 days, we'll have access to Berkeley temperature, sea level, and earth rotational data. I'll continue my earlier analysis and we'll see how another year has added to the planet changes.

Bob Wilson

9. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Heres the correct global temp from UAH UAH_LT_1979_thru_November_2015_v6.png

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Mojo and I get our data from the same place. His plot is the conventional one from which it has been concluded 18 years no warming. My graph uses the same data to ask the question whether 'no warming' is uniquely tied to that particular starting point. Turns out that it is , although nearly the same conclusion from starting in 2002.

As Spencer has worked on this since 1979, one might expect him to wish others to also pay attention to the first half of his work. Actually bigger than that: Don't choose an obviously wrong start to mis-characterize the entire record.

My graph is an extension of the idea (previously advanced) that one is required to start in 1998 to get the conclusion. I did a quantitative analysis, while the other seems to be an 'eyeball' conclusion.

I did the same with RSS TLT microwave irradiance data, got essentially the same conclusion. Could show it here.

At some point, it becomes boring: Warmer each decade, thermometers or satellites. A decade that did not get warmer, now that would be interesting. Maybe someone has a prediction?

I agree with AustinG @3 that 1998 makes a bad end point, just as it makes a bad start point. If both faulty conclusions were removed from the discussion, that would be fine by me.

I agree with BobW that extreme (high or low) data should not be 'averaged into oblivion'. But it depends on the question being asked. For crop health, I'd surely not use microwave satellites! As those are presented as 'departure from some defined index period', not all may realize that they are looking at -20 oC air.

Expanding on the previous, about 1998 being a poor endpoint. I haven't looked up data used by IPCC in 2001 that AustinG mentioned. I used HADCRUT4 starting in 1850. Ending with 1998 (as they did), the overall slope is 0.037 degrees per decade and R is 0.76. Had they instead ended in 2001, the overall slope is 0.039 degrees per decade and R is 0.77. So if they had carried on, they would have found higher increase and correlation. So yes, it would have been better.

AustinG suggests that the decision was to make the blade look steeper, and maybe so. But having now compared both, I am not swayed by this ‘cosmetic’ argument.

Data through 2015 was not available then, but I did that also. Overall slope is 0.049 degrees per decade and R is 0.83. Bigger and bigger…

Careful observers detect that 0.049 degrees per decade is small. HADCRUT4 (and all the other surface T compilations) were flat (and variable) until 1910 or so. Choose to start later, and you obtain steeper slopes. But I shall not do so here, opposed as we are to cherry harvesting.

#10 tochatihu, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2016
  11. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Could you show your work. I'm not sure what you are doing. Are you doing a least mean square fit to individual years? Averaged years? Something else?

Correlation should be shown to S x log2([curr ghg]/[past ghg])
    The graphs in question used 1902 - 1998. They drew a linear regression line to smoothed data to 1902 then actual yearly data un smoothed.

For ghg levels this should be a good source.
    http://data.giss.nasa.gov/modelforce/ghgases/Fig1A.ext.txt

Data should have been smoothed to include past data. Outliers thrown out if they distort the data. Of course the given charts exagerated the impact, and show a much higher slope at the end compared to what I'm guessing you are doing.

Fifth IPCC assesment says that slope smaller for the recent decade, which agrees with my data. I believe you are using some kind of naive smoothing, which exagerates pre 1900 temperatures. More data will improve this, which is why I think you are seeing an increase. A least mean square single sloped line is also not very good.

One poster suggested a time delay. ghg concentration in 1850 - 285.2, 1910 - 300.1, 1998 - 366.27, 2015 - 400

If we were 100% correlated with ghg concentration in the given year we should see 15% of the ghg warming in the period 1850-1910, 59% between 1910 and 1998, and 26% from 1998-today. Feel free to add ENSO changes and time delays for your ghg function.

wxman likes this.
  12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    AustinG, is this the graph you mean? If so, they did include post-1998 years (as in Fig 1a.) but you really have to magnify to see. On a 1000-year span, a couple of years are a very thin slice. If this is the graph then you are a chasing a non-existent omission.
    IPCC TAR WG1 SPM Fig 1b.jpg

Also you are asking me to correlate surface instrumental T with CO2. Not quite sure why? It has been done many times and I don't imagine that I could do it any better.

What I did was correlate surface instrumental T with years starting in 1850. You are certainly familiar with such graphs. They (HADCRUT or whatever) are flat, up, flat, up. Broadly speaking. Trim a few years off the recent end (by ending at 1998) and the correlation is something. Add those years back on, and correlation and slope both increase, because the later years are continue the most recent up part. I find this intuitive, but maybe that's just me.

#12 tochatihu, Jan 4, 2016
  13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

Follow the red shaft of the linear regression, then the large shaft. If this is a good graph (I would say its misleading without a lot of explanation, and they did explain, but it mostly is glossed over in the summary) then the 1998 to 2014 graph is also appropriate, and IMHO misleading. We have smoothed data in this graph then in 1902-1998 yearly data plotted. Why isn't it smoothed? Why a shaft in red to the instrument record. It is meant to focus on the bottom of the slaft (the drawn line) to the top of the blade (1998). The blade did not continue though, as many at the time of publication argued was likely.
    I think that is what this 2001 graph was meant to show.

I was asking what graph you are using. Is it individual years, which I believe are misleading when added to paleo. If smoothed by what method. Yes I have seen numberous. I haven't seen one that claimed warming was faster including 1999-2014 than leaving it out. That is why I asked.

I suppose if you start in 1850 and only draw a single line, you may be there.

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    No I still don't understand. What I excerpted was Fig 1b. Surely you have also seen Fig 1a, right above it on their page. Fig 1a shows yearly T since 1860 with 95%CI for each year, and a heavy black line from decadal filtering. Fig 1b (posted here above) shows the yearly thermometers, as near as I can tell, as red line segments connecting the dots, until 2000. The entire right portion of this page explains the figure, with further reference to the main report chapter.

I simply don't see how your objection in post 3 could have been based on this page of the TAR WG1 SPM. That is why I asked if you were looking at something else.

After studying Fig. 1b in my (this AM) downloaded pdf at 800% magnification, I would have drawn it a little bit differently. Put the annual red instru T on the 'top layer' in whatever graphics program was used. In the presented version it appears to be a few layers down and I really can't see anything red before about 1900.

Could it be that this is AG's beef? Not very beefy, with Fig 1a being so close by.

#14 tochatihu, Jan 4, 2016
  15. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure, easy to answer your questions. The graph I posted, which is the one I remembered, and the first one that came up in google was figure 2.20 from the IPCC in 2001. If you right click to just open the figure, or google yourself;) you will see some features. There is a dashed line drawn in to form a shaft of a "hockey stick". Its labeled linear trend 1000-1900. There is a dashed line not on the legend but labeled 1998 instrument record.

The paleo record is naturally smoothed, as each of the proxies is smoothed or moved in time. I believe in AR5, the IPCC with a better paleo record did not like talking about periods of less than 30 years. Why go further in the smoothing by adding a linear dashed line to pretend noisy data was not noisy? Why not smooth the instrument record by 30 years to work with the paleo record, or 10 years, or at least 3 years which was common with hadcrut at the time? Was it to call out 1998 as they did with the extra graph line? Of course it was. This is not my private beef, these were criticisms at the time of the chart.

Which means, if you like this chart figure 2.20 from ipcc 2001. Then those charts with the 1998-2013 with a line showing no warming are also valid. My point is not to defend these later charts, its to denounce all these misleading charts.

The warmists are pushing to include the single year 2015 even before all the data is in. The skeptics seem to want to cherry pick the same date that the IPCC cherry picked in 2001, 1998. That does not seem skeptical but cherry picking and misleading. Now my memory is not perfect, that fig 2.20 did include 1999, you simply can not see it, but its in the legend, nor is it called out by its own line that draws extra attention to it.

Why not smooth at least 10 years in these charts of temperatures if we are using them to look at ghg warming. The noise in a 10 year period is highly susceptible to things like ENSO according to IPCC ar5. Now if we are using the temperature record to model ENSO and not green house gas warming, then sure 1998 is a very important year.

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Because it removes the peak and valleys:
    • < 1 year - shows seasonal variations, why we don't set our hair on fire for 'hottest month' nonsense
    • 1 year - moderates the seasonal effects
    • > 1 year - excellent approach to hide peaks and valleys
    • > 10 years - hide them better
    • > 100 years - might as well not even discuss it
    • > 1000 years - perfect for orbital mechanics
    • > 10000 years - Ok, we might see the ice ages
    It is called 'framing the question' and I'm OK if others choose to leave the discussion by using a math trick to make it go away.

In about a month, the middle of February, I can resume add data through June of 2015 to my earlier plots. This will barely include any of the current El Nino data. For that, popcorn is advised.

Bob Wilson

17. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Phil Jones refered to this grafting of unlike time frequency and extention as Mike's Nature trick, Mike is Micheal Mann. He first wrote against it, but decided to include it in the IPCC 2001 report.

The statistical trick is to not average when the other parts of the graph are averaged. This represents unlike things to make the data seem stronger than it is. Mann also said in now disclosed conversations that he thought his results were portrayed as more firm than they were. The paleo record diverged from the temperature record, so temperature record is substituted. Biaffra's data was also transformed using this mathematical technique by jones in ipcc 2001, so that it would look more like the mann data.

Certainly in marketing such statistical methods are used to exagerate actual differences. These are quite legal, but do we want our science treated like corporations treat claims.

Certainly if we are being unscientific and doing these tricks to exagerate, then the pause is fair game. It too uses statistical techniques of individual years and variation to show no statistically significant warming. If we force both to use proper techniques there is warming, but if we allow this foolish single year religious discussion you can't come to any scientific clarity, only competing advertising claims.

Sure, but individual years are pretty meaningless when it comes to ghg warming, as has been repeated by scientists that actually care about the science. For those with a political bent, yes 2015 is likely to score points for the warmists, as they have ignored the slower warming data.

To me what is the point of these individual years when we know there is multidecadal oscilations that have greater variance than ghg warming in these single years? If you are doing some proper multi year averaging, then yes adding 2015 will continue the trend, as 2014 did.

Are we so starved for news stories that we should forget the science. Why not look at 11 year averages or at leat 5 year averages. Lets go small. When 2015 comes in you can add the data point for 2013 5 year average. Better yet for looking at the trend would be 11 year (half solar cycle, which is key in natural variation) which will add the 2010 data point. Do we really need to guess and add false detail and add 2015 individual year?

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Your points are valid if one is trying to stitch together modern and paleorecords which also includes ice cores. The accuracy and coverage significantly degrades as one uses non-instrument, proxies. Just I prefer modern instrument era data. The story here is quite compelling.
    I enjoy the modern temperature records but am fascinated by sea level and earth rotation. We're air breathing critters and tend to notice air temperature. In contrast, the sea and earth rotation involve masses whose behavior as the surface warms is interesting.

BTW, I had never really looked at the Antarctic ice cover but this year promises to be entertaining. I never realized the extent the sea ice disappears in the Southern 'summer.'

Bob Wilson

19. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That is the graph that I have a problem with in that old report. The good news is in AR5 the current IPCC report, they finally appear to have taken the criticism to heart and have corrected the misleading nature of it all. That is how science should work, where mistakes are corrected when data comes out. The process simply was slowed because of politics.

As to strictly temperature record, it is all about what you are trying to do with it. If you simply want yearly data, well that is what you should take. If you are trying to reflect ghg to temerature, in a white box type model, you should either account for the solar cycle and oscilations, or do some sort of smoothing to remove them. Definitely if you are trying to figure out solar cycle, seasonal graphs may be the best expression.

Here seasonal records probably are best. What are the hottest 3 months of the year for the region, what are the coldest 3 months, and use those, instead of global yearly.

Antartic ice seems to reflect not just land and sea surface temperatures, but underwater geothermal heating seem to have a big impact.

20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    My original intent here was to consider microwave satellite record and its subsets. As it started in 1979, a 30-year window is nearly the whole thing. This is not to say I oppose a 30-yr climate window, but we may always be constrained by data.

We moved off to IPCC 2001, and I happily report that intervening years have provided additional clarity. We really haven't gone through AR5 here and perhaps we should, in a different thread. Objections to AR3 (then called TAR) are perhaps after their 'sell by dates', but not for me to censor. Hockey sticks these days have bent shafts, so it seems to me. Whether the tip of the blade is highest may still depend on details. HADCRUT4 30 yr.jpg

My point was and is, right now, some people rely on 1998 start to 'make a point' absent from either UAH or RSS TLT in their entirety.

I hope AustinG will lead our future IPCC discussions. Now it seems that his objection is that 30 (or longer) yrs smoothing was done for paleo T proxies, but not for instr T that were stitched to them. I would agree with that - the same smoothing should be used throughout, whenever disparate records are presented along an X axis.

For the moment the best I can offer is HADCRUT4 ending Dec 2015, looking back over 30-yr windows. All prior years are equally weighed in window; it would not be a correct use of Gaussian centering.

In the graph above, 30-yr climate shows no recent T pause. Earlier there were, and even small decreases. If one supposes no ocean heating (delectable or not), then CO2 driving cannot explain it. Or, you could give the ocean its due (1000x or more heat capacity than the atmosphere).

To distill this, we might say that declaring a pause from (-20 oC) TLT data depends strongly on data subsetting, and is not seen in instru T over climatological periods (30 y). I'd not back that horse. For the future, well, we'll see. There are 'ice age' predictions and 'faster warming' predictions, but I look more to the middle.