1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's official: Bush sewage plant on the ballot

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by dragonfly, Jul 18, 2008.

1. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Read a little history once in a while, rather than just FOX news! Saddam was our FRIEND when the enemy was the USSR. (As was Osama Bin Laden!) We have a history of arming our "friends" and then getting mad when they use those arms in ways we don't like! When they don't behave!

Our problem is that we have tended (since the end of WWII) to back the wrong guys for our own short term interest,,,,at the expense of our long term interest.

Think, Shah Pavlovi in Iran, the Mujahadiem (sp?) in Afghanistan, Marcos, and on and on and yes Saddam! It is politically incorrect to say so in mixed company, but many of our problems have been brought on by the "law of unintended consiquences", and yes,,,by ourselves through out leaders and our policies.

Sad but true. If you would only read a bit of history, (something GWB admits not doing) you would be able to make much better informed arguments.

Icarus

2. JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt Señior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That's a long list of guilty American Presidents before GW you're referring to there.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Maybe we should just BUTT OUT of other people's business?

4. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quite right my good man. GWB certainly doesn't have a lock on bad judgement! There have been a few successes, but many huge failures, not just for the US, but for the Europeans/Brits and the Russians too. Global powers have made short term choices often at the expense of their, and certainly the worlds expense. If you look back at the origins (and conclusions) of WWI and you see where a lot of the present conflict in the middle east starts.(or comes into western awareness,,see also,,,,wait for it,,,,oil!) Read Barbara Tuchman's "Guns of August" , Read Lawrence Of Arabia. Read Dean Acheson, George Kennan. Discover that there are people who have thought and sweated over this way longer and further in depth than the current crop of neo-cons.

To blame GWB, or "The Arabs" or anyone else for that matter without a deeper understanding of how we got here is, as they folly! (and foolish).

There is probably not 10% of Americans can remember how we overthrew a dully elected government in Iran in 1952 (?) and reinstated the Shah. How the Russians propped up Nasser in Egypt in the 1960's. and on and on!

With super power status, comes the potential for super power mistakes of huge magnitude. Super Powers/Empires are equal opportunity screw ups!

Perhaps we should take a page from the Europeans who are realizing after centuries of conflict, that they are way more secure working with their neighbors than against them.

Icarus

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Come to think about it, once you get over the childish yuck-yuck and haw-haw-haw factor, a sewage treatment plant . . . something which deals with life's unpleasantries and turns it into something less harmful or dangerous, is a fitting tribute to someone who had the courage to deal with the problems created by others.

A sewage treatment plant doesn't create the problem, it solves them.

Want to talk about who is at fault for perpetuating divisive politics? This ballot measure has no other purpose than to be divisive. :rolleyes:

If this ballot measure passes, it would only confirm the petty nature of the people of San Francisco.

6. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick,

Although we disagree on almost everything else,,,on this I do agree. The politics of division may win elections (see Karl Rove) but they don't lead to either good governance, or good policies.

Icarus

7. Yak18

Yak18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Pretty shameful to name a sewage treatment plant after anyone. I hope Bush sues San Francisco for using his name in such a disgraceful manner and it costs them millions. One more thing, if you know anything about how our government runs (and most democrats don't), the US President is not a dictator. He is elected. If we don't like who we elected twice, than it's our fault not his. Blame the Congressmen YOU sent to Washington for bad government/voting for things you don't like.

8. Yak18

Yak18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah Clinton was great! If he'd killed Bin Laden when he had the chance there'd be about 10,000 Americans still alive after 9/11. :mad:

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Whether Bush was elected is a matter for debate.

And I see it's all Clinton's fault again.

10. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quite frankly, it is an insult to sewage! All we need to remember GWB is the 4000 service men and women who have given everything for his misguided folly! Not to mention the 100,000's of Iraqis, nor the 10,000's of service men and women that have been maimed and injured! Honor those people instead of the fools that led us into it!

Icarus

11. Froley1

Froley1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    the background we may fail to remember is that Bush II was nominated prior to 9/11 with the singular intention by the republican party to be a figurehead Presidentfor the republican "revolution" ------

he was not nominated for his intelligence nor to be a leader but rather for the portion of the US population requiring instant name recognition...to simplify voting
    Bush equals Republican alone saves millions in advertising...

Name recognition combined with his brother supplying the florida vote honestly or dishonestly whatever was required.....he was for the time a perfect tool....He was purposefully chosen for his lack of ability--- the easier to be dominated by the republican majority in congress who thought the good times were going to roll for them....owning the house senate and presidency....

unfortunately 9/11 took place changing the premise surrounding his time in office....leading to Iraq---leading to the lowest ever opinion poll numbers for a President-------leading to economic decline----resulting in the upcoming republican ouster------------all of which he is/was woefully incapable of providing leadership toward a solution for any problem facing the republican party or the country.
    just my thoughts
    Froley

12. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When I heard him speak this past week, it was almost like he realized how much he looked like a fool. His usual 'banter' with the press was terse, his usual self-deprecating remarks were more directed at others, and much more biting. He looked and sounded tense and fidgety, like someone who's waking up to reality and not liking it. I almost felt sorry for him.

13. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I love this one, did Bush get Osama Bin Laden when HE HAD THE CHANCE?

14. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Only part you are correct on, and most Republican's aren't ever correct on anything these days, is, it is the American public that is at fault for electing a moron like Bush.

And here is a part about US government that you are not aware of, the president sets the budget, has veto power, appoints a cabinet that is supposed to keep track of the country and international policy, the president sets international policy. In all those areas Bush is a complete failure.

Here is another tidbit for you, Bush the moron is a public figure, he can't sue the public for naming something after him. :eek::usa2:

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  16. Abu Garcia

Abu Garcia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am very familiar with the history you are talking about. Things change and you have to react accordingly. It's called adapting to the situation at hand, not the situation from the past.

17. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You really should feel sorry for Bush. He's just a figure-head at best with very limited skills. In terms of the actual president (Cheney) ........ I doubt anyone feels sorry for that killer. :mad:

... Brad

18. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thus why the US keeps duplicating the past, over and over again, you are supposed to learn from history, not repeat it over and over.

19. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And you think ANY of those choices worked out well? Either for the USA's long term interest, or more importantly the worlds? If that be the case, you may 'know' history, but like GWB you haven't learned a single lesson from it!

The definition of insanity is repeating an action over and over again expecting a different result! (See also propping up dictators!)

Icarus

Every once in a while I still see a vehicle running around with a W 04 sticker on it. I think I hav figured out that those people are too stupid to figure out how to get it off!

20. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I thought the same thing myself, how stupid do you have to be, to keep a political sticker on your car forever.