1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's official decided to stop using the Toyota nav

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by benalexe, May 27, 2013.

1. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    While I agree that the Nav system in the Base model leaves a lot to be desired, I do feel that it's better than trying to use a cell-phone or tablet. First of all, the Nav system is always there and is integrated into the car. I don't have to remember to pull it out, plug it in, and turn it on. Second of all, I'm not always traveling in an area with good cell-phone signal. While I may not get up-to-date traffic info, I will always have my map and POIs available no matter what.

Things I wish the Nav system had:
    bigger/higher resolution screen,
    the ability for the passenger to input info,
    automatically connects to Entune traffic (I'm using Bluetooth tethering),
    dedicated steering wheel button to instantly bring up the map if I'm on a different screen (radio, car, phone, etc).

2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can still do that. Touch screen systems have gone down dramatically in price. Or you can just buy a Garmin for $100 with far less hassle and portability. I mean besides the the nav and backup camera. The audio part of the of the system works very well. No need to chuck it.

3. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Well, I mean get an after-market system that would replace (change-out) the touchscreen/navigation system, but keep the back-up camera, keep HD am/fm and satellite radio, add a better mapping software, high resolution display, etc...

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, you can still do that. My friend owns a car stereo shop. There has only been 1 stock system that has deterred him and its the old late 1990's vintage Ford Taurus that places ovals in everything including an oval entertainment system that was completely integrated with the car.

His friendship has meant I am kept abreast of the latest car stereo trends and prices. Something you're asking used to cost many thousands of $. Now I think it can be done for $1k and you'll be able to watch DVDs on the screen while the car is moving, although you shouldn't.

5. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mayb some upgrade options from Toyota may help.