1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's official Toyota is full speed fuel cells for compliance after 2014

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by austingreen, May 13, 2014.

1. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ah man you guys are gonna crap all over me for that last post... :(

2. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, the "bleed-thru" is being noticed by lots of people...only they're NOT members of this forum (wink,wink).

#222 70AARCUDA, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
  3. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Why guess? The sources and availability of Lithium can be determined with some basic Internet research. What I found interesting is how much the Lithium costs in an expensive LiIon Battery.

Availability of Lithium – Battery University

Efficiency is measured at the whole car level, not by just picking select components. For example, what if I consider the weight of the entire ICE drivetrain in a conventional car. That is parasitic as well. If a BEV gets me from point A to B for half the cost, I would say that is twice as "efficient" for a cost per mile metric...and those are the metrics that get my attention.

Why would someone base BEV success on Tesla's stock price instead of Tesla sales? The Tesla issue is price, not technology limitations (nor stock price.) Is there some technology shortcoming of the Tesla S?

4. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    oh wow this is not going away...

If the ICE is half the weight of a car then I would concur that the system is parasitic by nature and therefore it is totally inefficient, ride a bike instead, but my understanding is that BEV was suppose to be efficient and superior in every way from conventional automobile AND non-plug in hybrids. The Model S' is one dam heavy car, and on their website they won't tell you how much the car weights and how much the battery alone weights and we don't know how long LiOn batteries will last.

I'm not sure why anyone would base BEV success on Tesla's stock price neither...but some actually do and have posted in this thread and another one but I forgot which one cause I'm getting crapped all over on from this forum by some members for simply agreeing with Toyota's take for stepping away from BEV's and providing my own speculations and possible explanations. Name calling is my favorite! :)

Lots of opinions on this forum from individuals and ZERO skins in the game...companies like Toyota and Porsche take huge amount of economic risks all the time to stay ahead of the innovation front and I personally don't think they make important decisions like stepping away from certain technologies lightly especially after they drop hundreds of millions of R&D on these projects...in Toyota's case over a $1B for the Prius and then they got fined for $1B for the whole unintended acceleration fiasco too and yet they're still chugging along trying everything...BEV, FCV, they were hesitant about PHEV due to LiOn volatile tendency but release the PPI.

IMO I think the only short coming for the Tesla Model S, E & X (giggity), is the battery and rear head room is less than ideal. Porsche just released the 918 Spyder plug in hybrid as their top of the line hyper car for $880K. If pure BEV was superior, Porsche engineers would have gone to Elon Musk for help to design their awesome brand anchoring vehicle.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    you may want to try searching before you claim its hidden from the website. Just click the link it will do it for you
    Let me google that for you
    4647 lbs for the 85kwh model. subtract 183 lbs for the 60kwh model, see that even tells you what 25 kwh of batteries weigh. It's much lighter per kwh than the prius battery.

We know the efficiency is great, and a test drive will tell you the handling is great and the acceleration is great. So why are you worried so much about the weight.

The lexus gsh weighs 4190 lbs but IMHO doesn't handle as well and burns a lot more gas. Test drive a tesla and you won't be so concerned about weight.

The batteries are warranted as better than my prius batteries, here in my non-CARB state. For the 85kwh model that is 8 years unlimited miles. 60 kwh model has 8 year 125,000 warranty. Its all right there on the website, or the reviews.

#225 austingreen, May 27, 2014
    movingforward likes this.
  6. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The 918 is actually a plug-in, and is a beutiful car. It has more range than the prius phv, and can drive fine in all electric mode. The 918 and bmw i8 will be used on the track, and for that bevs just won't do it, you want to get more laps than the battery will give at high speeds. Mercedes and bmw just are releasing their bevs. Porsche is likely to release a bev soon, yes there engineers are working on it.
    Gas 2 | Bridging the gap between green heads and gear heads.

movingforward likes this.
  7. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's almost as if you don't read what I wrote...but thanks for doing the search for me. 4647lb for 85kwh battery pack, so how much does the car weight now? I think 4647lb is the gross vehicle weight, what is the weight of the battery pack alone?

8. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Again, I believed I said the 918 is a plug in hybrid.

My only comment here would be to say, Please Toyota bring the Supra back in the FT-1 concept and sell it for 10X less than the price of the 918 Spyder! :) I do not nor need 800+ hp, just 300hp will do and 100mpg+ fuel efficiency!

9. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You said the battery probably was half the weight, and that tesla didn't have it on their site. Both are easy to check out. I did read your complaint. Now I also provided the additional battery weight, so you could do the math. The battery cells weigh six hundred and some odd pounds. There are electronics and cooling for the cells, and we get to somewhere between 1000lbs to 1200lbs depending on what you include as part of the battery pack, but if you think of it as the batteries in your flash light, that part is less than 700 lbs. Again the battery weight does not have a major impact on efficiency. The 60kwh pack gets 95 mpge. The 85 kwh pack gets 89 mpge. You can compare this to the best i3 at 117 mpge, or the prius phv at 95 mpge. It is extremely efficient and a great handling car.

You did, but you made it sound as if the 918 was competeing with the tesla S. Its not. It needs a gas ice for the track, something the Tesla S can't do well. 918 owners are likely collectors and not daily drivers. Porsche is working on BEVs, and the 918 being a plug-in adds to that experience as does its parent vw's electric golf.

Yeah, a supra is kind of outside this discussion. Its not a car you can race like the 918, or a sports sedan like the tesla S. The supra if built would not be a fuel cell like toyota is doing instead of plug-ins. So how are you going to get plug-in type fuel economy? The 918 gets 67 mpge, and 22 mpg once that battery is drained. How could a supra fuel cell get 100 mpge?

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Something I heard on Autoline After Hours is that CARB is changing the rules next year that requires: 300 mi range and recharging/refueling time similar to an ordinary car. I have not checked the CARB web site to confirm this report. If accurate, fuel-cells and a few exotic battery systems may be in effect mandated to enter the CARB market.

Bob Wilson

11. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Technology by legislature? I doubt it!

Throw enough of the people's money at enough stupid ideas, and random probability will provide an occassional success.

austingreen likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I believe that already went into effect. The Tesla S meets the 300mi range. CARB uses their own formula for that. Then Tesla developed that battery swapping system for the refuel portion. CARB didn't like that, so they excluded battery swapping as a refueling type.

The only thing Toyota sees in FCEVs over BEVs is increased profit. The motor has a little to zero maintenance needs. Raw materials for it seem to be more of a bottleneck than ones for the battery. Beyond suspension components, there is only the battery that might need replacing down the road with a BEV. With a FCEV there is the battery plus the fuel stack and the fuel tanks. Neither of which has had any info released on their lifespan.

There are already third parties refurbishing and servicing batteries for the Prius. The likely that this will happen for BEV batteries is pretty good. CNG tanks have a set shelf life. Hydrogen ones will also. Just no one who has an interest in them wants to say what that lifespan is. Same with the fuel cell stack.

13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In carb speak the 265 aer epa is 300 mile range. They don't go by the current EPA test, I think it is the old one.

The rules have already changed. CARB is part of the fuel cell lobby, and to favor fcv over bevs they put in a requirement for refueling to get an extra 3 zev credits. Tesla satisfied that requirement with battery swap. Because this no longer favored fuel cell vehicles they changed the rule to make sure bevs could not do it. They also changed the fast refueling bonus to 5 credits. This leaves a 100 carb mile bev like the leaf with the same 3 credits, it drops the 300 mile carb tesla S from 7 to 4 credits, and raised the leased hyundai tuscon fuel cell and whatever this toyota is called from 7 credits to 9 credits. Last year CARB also pledged $220 M from registration fees to go build hydrogen fueling stations. PHEVs get 0 zev credits.

That means a hyundai fuel cell vehicle leased now, and likely crushed in 2017 gets more than double the credits of a telsa or triple that of a leaf that will be running for many more years, and providing substantially more zev miles.

IMHO, if in 2.5 years at the end of 2016, there should be great figures on how much hydrogen is subsidiezed, ghg and the same on plug-ins. The fig leaf of the fuel cell lobby will have to be off by then, and either they get some major technical breakthoughs, or they will be shown to be less efficient and more costly than the lobby is saying. By then there will be a new prius and prius phv as well as a new volt and the tesla X. The small mercedes and bmw plug-ins will have sales history versus the toyota and honda small fuel cells, and honda may even have a non-compliance bev. The leaf won't be changed until 2017, but end of 2016 should be the time where the fuel cell lobby will likely ask for more time and more money. There is no way they hit the 2017 goal of 53K fuel cell cars.

#233 austingreen, May 27, 2014
  14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The funny thing is the ordinary Prius hatchback is a sales success outside of CARB and around the world. For volume production and economies of scale, the Prius is the clear winner with maybe in some of the other hybrids and fuel efficient vehicles. In about 10 days, we'll have the May sales numbers and get a chance to see what is going on.

The only wild-card is the actual decrease in gasoline price I'm seeing in my local market. I don't know if it is nation wide but softening gasoline prices takes away a powerful motivator for non-technical, owners. The only mitigation is the Prius price point has reached pretty much what other similar sized and equipped cars are going for. Now if we can figure out a way to call it a 'station wagon' instead of a hatchback. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

15. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ironically, both Caliprunia and Aridzona labelled our 2004 & 2009 Pontiac Vibes as "stationwagons" while many GM parts sellers list them under the "Pontiac -- TRUCK" heading!?!?!

16. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm pretty sure you could see through that extreme exaggeration when you saw it.

This is a discussion site, not a "Blinded by Toyota" cheering section. When Toyota does good, a great many don't hesitate to point that out. The Prius is great engineering. When Toyota makes missteps, it is intellectually dishonest to gloss this over because it is Toyota. Toyota's handling of faulty engine ECUs falls in that category. The present heavy handed manipulation of the CARB representatives also appears to fall in that category.

Please don't confuse disagreeing with you as "crapped all over". We understand how you feel. What we don't see is the factual discipline demonstrating that feeling is worthy of propagating to others. When you make a global statement such as "Pure Battery Electric Vehicles DOES NOT WORK", did you really expect people fantastically impressed with the Tesla S to agree? Should I ignore those first hand owners knowledge based on your statement out of the blue....or should I expect some clear facts/mathematics showing why the Tesla S doesn't work? This absolutely is not crapping on you, it is finding out where the disconnect is between what you say vs. most Telsa S owner claims.

When seriously evaluating and spending many tens of thousands of dollars on the next car being a BEV or PHEV, that is not "Zero skins in the game...." it is the exact opposite. Knowing exactly what benefits and drawbacks will be enjoyed or inflicted on the next car purchase requires lots of homework and careful knowledge accumulation.

17. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Simple: Agree...to...disagree.

18. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I think you need to relax. Limiting the charge load to extend the traction battery life is a perfectly sensible thing to do. It is a reasonable response to the limits of current, LiON battery chemistry used in the Leaf.

I don't fault reasonable response to the characteristics of the Leaf battery technology. Just I'm not interested in joining them.

Bob Wilson

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Pennsylvania calls my friend's Tahoe a station wagon. Guess that is how it is mostly used, but the state charged about $30 more in registration for the Ranger, a turck to them, I used to have.