1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's official Toyota is full speed fuel cells for compliance after 2014

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by austingreen, May 13, 2014.

1. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yep, like the GI who says "...YOU go first through the mine-field, Sir!..."

#301 70AARCUDA, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    austingreen likes this.
  2. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    It's a shame you blocked me, because then you'd be able to read my response. (shrug) Toyota starts leasing fuel cell cars at the end of this year. Meanwhile Hyundai already has a fuel cell for lease, and Honda has had the Clarity available for years (with the "Mark 2" model coming in 2015). I've already filled-out an application with both of the H companies:[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    not already - I stopped by the Tustin dealership and nobody knows when it'll be there although it's supposed to be there now. One of 36. Yea - it's advertised as mass market. A mass market of one -
    I don't blame them for the low volume.... after all - who'd want to give away hundred thousand dollar cars in large volumes.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If it is just a compliance vehicle and gets the maximum credits, who cares.

Bob Wilson

austingreen likes this.
  5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota is supposed to sell in Japan by the end of the year, we don't have a date or price in the US, but Toyota has anounced 2015. 2015 may be lease only or sales.

The hyundai Tucson is indeed in southern california. I have no idea if they are at any dealerships yet. It could be a matter of paperwork or port installed equipment. We have no epa mpge on the car yet, which would be required for sales of the car. If they are leased with the intent to crush them later instead of sell them, they probably can get a waiver on the sticker.;)

Hill you should check out these dealerships
    Hyundai Expects to Earn Credits, Not Profits on Tucson Fuel-Cell Vehicle | Auto Makers content from WardsAuto
    One thing that is surprising
    I thought it was 9 zev credits, but maybe CARB raised it to 26, versus 4 for the tesla S. I don't think tesla and nissan are getting nearly the $5K per credit.

#305 austingreen, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    In a recent trip to CA I read the Tuscon was available at select dealers in the LA area.
    Unfortunately we were not in that area so we didn't get a chance to see it.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    It'd absolutely HAVE to be a lease- only vehicle. Otherwise the residual
    (presume 3yr lease) would need to be around $60,000 just to put a dent in sales cost. What kind of a warranty would there need to be on a 3yr old lease-expired fuel stack .... an additional 3yrs? 5? Fuel line replacement due to embrittlement - 3 or 4 more yrs ? 10,000Lb fuel tanks.... will they need to be tossed? - or simply derated 20% of Max fill similar to scuba tanks? I would love to see the 2.5gig PDF service manual. :O

8. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What was the "Warrantee" on the HINDENBERG?

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yet Hyundai/Kia is cover all the bases with the Soul EV.
    Lease only also means hydrogen stations won't need big signs stating the price of hydrogen.

10. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It is really pathetic that the state of california is taxing for hydrogen stations now, but still haven't set standards for dispensing and charging for hydrogen. They have had 9 years to perhaps write and discuss required purity, fill pressures, and measuring unit, and since they already have a whopping 9 publicly funded, publicly used stations dispensing the stuff, there is no excuse for the foot dragging. We know why they are doing it. Once the regulations are done, we will know the price, and the price is higher than gasoline.

11. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    But, it'll be a "...CLEAN exorbitant hydrogen price, not a DIRTY cheap gasoline price!.."

austingreen likes this.
  12. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  13. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hydrogen (H2) may be the most abundant element in the universe, but (per Einstein) so is stupidity, I'm sad to say.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  14. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I think we already knew those things. In fact we don't even know if the fcv will be sold or only leased or pricing in the US or europe. The big announcement was disappointing also for the lack of information on the interior, only the exterior of the vehicle was shown.

Key figures that we do know. Hyundai, Honda, and Toyota are each producing 1000 fuel cell cars for world wide sales. To me this is very limited assembly, not mass production, which gives the nod to honda for the first "produced" fuel cell vehicle in the clarity. Hyundai looks to be number 2, and toyota 3rd, with sales or leases expected by the end of april in Japan. We don't know how many years or months.

Key figures
    Hyundai Tucson Fuel cell 50 mile/kg H2
    Hyundai Tucson 2wd gas 25 mpg
    Toyota Rav4 EV 76 mpge (miles per 33.7 kwh)

On Toyota fcv we only have JC08 of 435 miles on 5 kg
    Toyota FCV JC08 87 miles/ kg H2
    prius JC08 77 mpg
    leaf JC08 155 mpge (miles per 33.7kwh
    JCo8 is a very easy test. We don't know how it will do on epa.

Toyota Advances Sale of Fuel-Cell Cars - WSJ
    We don't know how long the 3 automakers plan on taking to sell the 3000 fuel cell vehicles between them. As a guide tesla plans on selling 35,000 BEV this year, mitsubishi is ramping production for 50,000 phevs/year. Toyota is expecting numbers like that not in 5 years but in a decade for fuel cell vehicles.

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: AD #1405 – 2015 Ford Edge Goes Global, Toyota FCV Gets a Price, Dealer-Dally to Make the Sale – Autoline Daily

Autoline Daily is a podcast from Ward's Automotive. They remain hybrid skeptics and diesel advocates which makes following their stories about hybrids amusing. For example, they like to report more diesels are sold than hybrids by counting the diesel pickups and trucks. Yet we know diesel passenger vehicles are an important but smaller fraction of the efficient car market.

Bob Wilson

#316 bwilson4web, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  17. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice, but ... the piece was acurate if copied from forbes and fortune. The war ...
    Toyota’s fuel cell car throws down the gauntlet to Elon Musk - Fortune
    Fortune has tried to put toyota's side of this thing out, even giving Jim Lentz a softball interview, and publicizing toyota's PR without many questions. Here they are more ballanced
    The Japanese government has been greatly increasing coal imports lately. Hydrogen from imported coal might be much less expensive 20 years from now then gasoline from imported oil. In 50 or 60 years they may even build enough renewables or nuclear to make all the hydrogen with non-fossil fuel. WSJ speculated that the Japanese government may directly subsidize each of these fuel cells by 2 million yen, and if I crack the infrastructure numbers there will be about anouther 2 million yen for each projected fcv paid to build infrastructure. That will make each fcv that honda and toyota produces get about 4 million yen, or $39K almost as much as 2 aquas (prius c). Now it makes more sense with subsidies that high toyota thinks they may make a go of it and be profitable in 15 or 30 years.

The other thing clear from the articles is why the japanese government is willing to pour so much money into this. 9% of Japanese manufacturing jobs are in auto. They want this to continue, with japanese workers making cars to export. Forbes speculated with the large fuel cell subsidies anounced, toyota will likely not move manufacturing jobs for the prius to the US as sort of a quid pro quo. We will see. In mid 2013 there was a lot of talk of finally making the car in the US, but that has ended. I'm sure toyota will give a reason if it cancels plans again, but it will likely in my mind be these subsidies. Here is the latest, no speculation of prius plants, but some solid work on the agenda.
    Japan's Backing To Fuel-Cell Cars Could Benefit Toyota's New Model - Forbes

#317 austingreen, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    Trollbait likes this.
  18. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  19. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hm-m-m-m, IF other manufacturers CAN/HAVE meet the safety requirements of FMVSS No. 305, then Toyota SHOULD be made to comply as well.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    wow . . . . so to sum up - it can cause electrocution after an accident
    Baahhh! .... after a fender bender - just make sure your 3 year old doesn't lean against the chassis /body if (s)he's bare foot. Maybe keep the rubber boots with you. (how stupid. Toyota couldn't have saved more than a few hundred bucks per car by building a non-isolated system of safeties.

#320 hill, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014