1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's one of those moments... spare tire and wheel.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ThatOddMan, Jul 25, 2021.

1. ThatOddMan

ThatOddMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yup! It's one of those moments where I wish Toyota provided a spare tire and wheel for the Prius Plugin model.

Is the TPM module attached on the wheel or the thing where the brake is attached? Like just remove the spare tire and attach it without touching the TPM module?

I'll probably just get a full size tire and wheel and shove it at the back. Less cargo space but the convenience is just there when the situation hits you in the face.

I had to wait for around 2 hours because AAA entered the wrong location... sent towing on the opposite side. So a new towing needs to be called because the 1st one will be out of his territory of service.

Ozark Man likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's a tire pressure monitoring transmitter mounted inside each wheel, where it can monitor the tire pressure.

The TPMS receiver has some (possibly non-enabled?) capacity to monitor five transmitters, but (at least in my Gen 3 liftback for sure) Toyota supplies only four transmitters, one in each 'regular' wheel/tire. The spare doesn't have a transmitter.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. ThatOddMan

ThatOddMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks.

Can I or is it safe to mix 3 aluminum wheels and 1 steel wheel? 1 of the 4 wheels needs to be replaced. All tires are all 15.

While driving back home earlier, there was some noise at the back like something is being scraped. I did a visual check and it seemed to be fine. But that scraping sound was there.

The damaged wheel was from front driver side. Then it was moved to rear driver side. Both front wheels with new tires were moved to the rear.

That photo of the wheel.

Attached Files:

#3 ThatOddMan, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only concern about a steel wheel might be weight. if significantly different, it might affect the sensors, idk.
    i have kept a donut in the hatch for 9 years. good insurance, i've never needed it

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think there would be any functional problem, as long as the dimensions matched.

6. Bucky35

Bucky35 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I drove a steel wheel spare on the front axle for 1500 miles across the country, no worries, no issues.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Toyota temp spare is a steel rim, and a markedly narrower tire, albeit roughly the same outside diameter.

Sounds like our daughter: had a temp spare on the front of her AWD Pilot, for months, went from Van to the States a few times. And yes, she'd received some $'s from bank of Mom-n-Dad. Different priorities...