1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's Summer - how do you set your air?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Danny, Jun 17, 2004.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Never ever??? Not even in the middle of winter??? Well, that's okay. I'm prejudiced against the Old South anyway.

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I'm sure SC has many things to recommend it (my folks have taken several vacations there to birdwatch), but the climate isn't one of them.

I lived in the Washington DC area as a kid, and I'm tellin' ya, you're going to have to drag me kicking and screaming before I leave this cool Pacific Northwest climate in the summer.

(Though as Dave says, we're going to go through 3 days of ~90-100F weather. And then back to the 70s on Monday. Poor us. :violin: )

3. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hot Climate

I live near Dallas. I designed my house to be an active / passive solar home and the design has rewarded me with a comfortable house with extremely low energy bills. It's the "Prius" of houses.

We keep it around 78 (day) and 76 (night) in the summer. Two-speed A/C keeps the dew point low so it's very comfortable.

Check it out at http://www.enerjazz.com/house/

Paul

4. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Hot Climate

Wow, looks like you put alot of thought into building that house. Excellent work on it. I may have to drag you up to my neck of the woods, to see what else can be done with mine. :mrgreen:

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ray Moore admitted to being a building science geek so I'll admit to working for a Building Technologies hardware and software engineering company that I will not name.

Though we don't work on residential buildings (except that we have a full system and a full-time employee monitoring Bill Gate's home), I've asked around to the engineers here and this is what they've told me:

[disclaimer]
    Nothing can compensate for a poorly designed ventilation system and in most apartment buildings, condo townhouses, and other multi-occupant buildings the job went to the lowest bid rather than the best engineered.

To that end, there is nothing you can do without rerunning the entire Air Handling System to completely fix the problem.
    [/disclaimer]

If you need to replace your furnace and will be staying in the same house for at least five years, it is best to get a variable speed unit. That is, the fan is always running to cycle the air but the heating/cooling only kicks in when the internal air temp needs to be adjusted. The constant movement of air, though unnoticeable, helps the overall quality of the environment. And the minimal cost of running the fan is offset by other things. (Running your computer consumes more energy)

Definitions:
    Supply Air = cooled air from the A/C
    Supply Vent = where the cold air comes out
    Return Air = air being drawn from the building to be cooled by the A/C and redistributed.
    Return Vent = where the air is removed from the room to go to the A/C

Regardless of your system, you can do this:
    Shut the flu leading to the downstairs floor(s). The flu should be located directly above the furnace. If you have two floors, completely close the lower floor's flu. If you have three floors, shut the lowest completely and the middle 50%. Leave the top floor wide open.

Also close the supply vents on the lowest floor. If you have three floors, close approximately half of the supply vents. The ones to leave open include the ones by windows where heat normally sits. The top floor should have all of the supply vents wide open. By the way, some of the engineers here go so far as to shove old towels into their vent for absolute closure.

This will direct all the freshly chilled supply air to the top floor(s) to offset the heat.

So far, you are probably saying, "duh".

However, there's one commonly overlooked thing you can do:
    Close the Return Vents on the highest floor and the middle floor if you have one. If your return vents do not have dampers, you will have to use cardboard, tape, magnetic strips or something. You want to pull the return air from the lowest floor.

What this does is ensure that the return air being pulled to the A/C condenser coils is colder. This is a three-fold good idea:
    - If your unit varies the work of the condensers to make sure the supply air is chilled to a certain temp, it will not have to work as hard to chill the return air.
    - If your unit applies the same level of chill to the return air, you will get better chilling results when you send cooler air to the condenser coils.
    - By blowing the supply air into the top floors and drawing the return air from the bottom floors, you are accelerating the natural downdraft of cooled air.

Granted, this will only work in homes with open architecture and no closed rooms. But I will vouch that closing the upstairs return vents makes a world of difference.

If you are really interested, you can check out the Energy Star website, specifically, http://energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=heat_cool.pr_hvac for home heating and cooling ideas.

Hope this helps.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Hot Climate

Nice house. A bit too clean for my taste, though. Needs more cat hair scattered around, to give it that lived-in feel.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    enerjazz:

awesome house!!
    i consider myself a conservationist but i can only dream of the dedication and acomplishment you have achieved.

8. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Only air conditioning we have is in the bedroom since I have to sleep during the day (work third shift). The house stays very comfortable most of the time since the west side is shaded by some big oak trees. I keep the car at 73 all the time. We both like it there and I don't think it affects the mileage that much.

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i agree with air conditioning not affecting mileage much.

here is a screenshot of my screen today.

background, it was HOT!!

as you can see, the temp is 99º and i had air fan speed set to med and temp set at 72º

was on freeway driving bet 55-70 mph (around here your speed isnt dictated by signs, its controlled by traffic)

as you can see, my mileage didnt suffer much.
    obtw, it was 101º yesterday!!

http://www.geocities.com/daveinolywa/image...es/hot54.2.html

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Mine is set to 74 rising to 78 at mid day. In western Washington it is rarely activated, though this year may be different, we will see. Nights are cool into the 50's and the air is off and the doors open. Sometimes the blankets are necessary even in August. The weather this year seems weird.

11. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I keep my "air conditioning" all the way on the cold side of the slider (Blazer of DOOM does not actually have A/C, just "cold" and hot on the temp slider..."cold" isn't really cold at all...ugh). And to cool my home, it's all windows open and all ossilating fans on high. House is surounded by 200 foot cedar trees, so is always in shade no matter what time of day. It's blissful.

When is it going to raaaaiiiinnnnn?!?!?!?!

12. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It rained really hard yesterday as well as Sunday!
    .... Oh, you meant where YOU are ;-)

The house had a window A/C when I bought it (15 years ago). Probably a really inefficient unit now given it was hardly new then. We only used it the first summer each of the girls was an infant. After that, we just tough it out, it sits in the basement mess. I could afford to run it but 1) I'm CHEAP and 2) It doesn't come under the concept of 'need' with respect to using energy. I'm sure that would be different if we lived in a place where the overnight low was 85 or 90 but MOST nights, it gets down at least to the low 70s.

Shades during the day, open the windows at night (knocking on a REALLY big piece of wood), we haven't had skunk issues this year. Ceiling fans in 2 bedrooms, floor standing fan in the other and one in the living room.

I am thinking it would be smart to add a "goes on when the attic is hotter than outside" fan in the gable end. I don't think the "soffet and ridge vent" systems pull the heat out very efficiently. Better than passive gable vents, but not ideal. On the other hand, the insulation in the ceiling is R-48 so maybe it doesn't matter how hot the attic gets?

13. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the only part of the advice that seems questionable to me, maybe because it relies on unstated assumptions or maybe because of my ignorance. In a house in which the return air ducts run through the attic (like mine) running the fan constantly would continually expose room air to heating/cooling (summer/winter) in the attic. In other words the return ducts are themselves heat exchangers; hopefully pretty well insulated and therefore not very good heat exchangers, but they would nonetheless add to the cooling/heating load.

In the spirit of your other advice I've long since closed off most of the returns in my one-floor open-spaces house except for one very large one immediately adjacent to the HVAC unit. (Yes, it is sized to provide adequate return.) Most return air thus passes through the living spaces and avoids additional attic heating/cooling. The return grille is a filter type to keep the HVAC and all the ductwork clean.

Do you know of any residential AC units that have an optional heat exchanger to pre-heat potable water in a storage tank, which in turn feeds the nominal hot water heater? Back of envelope calculations suggest that such a system could both noticeably help AC efficiency (because the AC compressor would be rejecting heat into ~70 F water instead of outside air at 100 F or more) and reduce the cost of heating water.

Obligatory Prius content: I keep my AC on auto but continuous recirculate and adjust the temp up and down for the right compromise between temp and fan noise. Oddly enough I seem to prefer 72 F in the morning and about 75 F in the evening.

14. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Richard, trust me, there is so much that can go into what I'll call "Advanced HVAC Techniques" that very few people could actually claim to know everything.

You are correct that the ducts running through the attic can conduct the heat/cold and act, themselves, as heat exchanges and the insulation helps. But there is another thing working to our advantage here. The air moving along the outside of the ductwork encounters more friction. This causes it to slow down and eddy. The air in the middle, however, moves past the eddies without touching the edges of the duct. This keeps the majority of the air somewhat insulated away from the heat transfer along the sides of the duct. Keep in mind that for this to happen, the air must be constantly moving. Stagnant air will heat and cool just like any volume of medium. And when that Stagnant air gets the push from the fan kicking on, it will blow out the vents at the temperature the attic raised/lowered it to.

Something you didn't question, but most people do, is the fact that the fan is constantly running. If the fan were running all-out the entire time, this would be the biggest freakin' waste of energy you could imagine. Loud too. However, there's this thing called the "Fan Law" which states that:
    HP1 = HP2 * ((rpm2/rpm1)^3)
    and creates a rather hyperbolic curve with energy expenditure (expressed as the percent of the maximum) running up the vertical and the percentage of possible fan speed along the horizontal. Applying this law, you find that if you run a variable speed fan at 50% rpm, you are expending only 12.5% the amount of energy as you would at 100% rpm. Actually, my A/C's fan is running at less than 50% rpm and it's so quiet I don't hear it.

Since I don't deal with residential units, I'm not familiar with any. But it's actually a very common practice in large buildings. Commercially, you run the water through a "chilled water coil" in the return duct. As you said, you run cooler-than-air water which draws the warmth from the air. The only problem with your suggestion is that 70°F is way too-o-o hot. Try 40°F - 52°F depending on load and draw. In order to make this happen, the water is run in a closed loop to a cooling tower or through pipes being cooled by fans and a condenser. These things just aren't practical residentially.

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I'll keep this in mind when/if we replace our unit.

Right, but I was trying to describe a once-through system: there's no cooling tower, it just makes use of the utility water that comes in from the street as a source of not-very-chilled-but-still-cooler-than-the-summer-air water. Imagine a storage tank fed from the utility water main. The tank contains a heat exchanger to pre-cool the AC coolant that comes out of the AC compressor; the AC coolant then continues on into the usual air heat exchanger. Heated (or more accurately "warmed") water from the storage tank supplies the usual hot water heater. It may not help a lot, but the benefit comes for no more than the cost of one storage tank and one extra coil. No moving parts.

16. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    On the subject of using a residential A/C to heat water - yes, it's available. I have a ground source (geothermal) heat pump. In the summer it uses "waste" heat to make hot water instead of dumping it to the earth. I added solar water heating, so I get about 95% of my hot water essentially for free.

Most GSHP manufacturers offer this option. I've had my GSHP for 8 years with zero problems and outstanding energy performance. See some details on my house website:

The Westbrook House - The Prius of Homes
    http://www.enerjazz.com/house

Direct geothermal info page:
    http://www.enerjazz.com/house/whgeo.html

Paul

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    As much as I love my Prius, i dont think that the Prius is a match for your house.

18. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Paul, thanks!
    Your house looks great. And thanks for explaining the heat exchange. I'll let Richard direct any additional questions your way.

BTW, There's some great reading on your site. Very well explained.

19. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hello Tony Richard etal-
    Ok, on the issue of throttling ducts to overcome stack effect, you probably shouldn't. If the system was designed properly the additional air through the remaining duct work will have a much higher velocity and will put the fan in an inefficient part of it's fan curve. You will end up with more noise and the amount of air necessary to overcome stack effect is much greater than you might imagine and more than you can accomplish in this way. Having said that, do whatever you wish but realize that if your duct sysem is in unconditioned space you the higher static pressures will also lead to greater losses from leaks in the duct system and also couse unintended interstitial air movement within the structure that can cause other problems. This is a complicated issue and takes a long time to fully explain. If you are interested, let me know and I can guide you to supporting documents to support my assertion.

If you run your fan when the unit is not calling for cooling, run it on intermittent with at least a 10 minute delay in order to let more of the condensate water to drain from the coil. The coil will still be wet and that moisture will still be re-evaporated into the space which is a waste of energy but the delay will help minimize the problem. In humid climates the problem is worse. If the recirculation of air allows for a higher set point at the thermostat, these losses may be recovered but the cost will always be higher rh within the living space. I recirc at off for 10 minutes and on for 20. I have plenty of info on this subject as well.

If anyone is interested in learning more about these sublects, let me know and I will send you some links.

Ray

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"TonyPSchaefer\")</div>

20. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How best to cool a house has everything to do with the climate where the house is located.

For those of you who live in a climate like mine in Sacramento, Ca . . . Hot dry summer days and cool nights (90's & 100's in daytime and 60's at night) . . . there are two things that will keep you comfortable WITHOUT using a air conditioner.

1) Shade trees. Preferably deciduous so you get winter solar heating too.

2) Whole House Fan! If you don’t know what a Whole House Fan is - it is a large fan that sits in the ceiling between the attic and interior of the house. It has louvers that automatically open when the fan is on.

The concept (which works):
    1) Turn on the fan at night when the outside temperature is cool. It sucks cool air into the house to chill down the interior and also blows the super heated air out of the attic (two for one).
    2) Close up the house in the morning before the outside temperature rises.
    3) Turn the fan back on when the outside temp is about five degrees above the interior . . . the large air movement will feel cooler on your skin.

I have yet to turn on the central air (or any air conditioner) and the inside has never gone above 80 degrees. I live in a 1920's painted redwood cottage with little insulation and original single pane windows. But I am blessed with shade trees, a Whole House Fan, and low cooling bills!

I can run the WHF all night long for less than it would cost to run the AC one hour.

If you plan on getting one . . . by all means get the large belt drive model and run it on low rather than running a small fan on high. Large fan with belt drive on low equals quieter operation. I also have an Intermatic Heavy-Duty Digital 7 Day Wall Switch Timer (SS7C) which turns on and off the fan several times during the night - otherwise all night long would be overkill.