1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's The Bible Quotes Thread!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stev0, Aug 21, 2011.

1. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Even if they did had FHRLT the threads would still leak out just like the political ones. The difference is the mods get to clamp down on the ones outside, it is a free for all in there (from what I hear). Ah the stream tends to fizzle out of these and a week or two down the line another one will come up and the bickering will ensue... blah blah.

Aloha Ed.

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is a great idea, get the fanatics into their own sandbox.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would every mention of religion be banned from the rest of the site? At least in the pancake house, posts and poster behaviour are moderated. Moving the ...'discussions' to a separate non-moderated forum, as with political 'discussions', would very quickly devolve into a food fight.

I'm not really advocating one way or the other, I'm just asking.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We could call it "The B Ship" after The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Once a week the server would automatically purge all of the posts, letting us start from scratch with the same old arguments.

Tom

5. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I support the idea of moving the religion threads to Fred's House of Politics or some other private forum. On public forums, I have no problem with people self-identifying with a belief or explaining it. Problems start when it goes beyond that (i.e. comparisons, negativity, etc.) and should go to a private forum.

A few are using provocative religion threads as a soapbox, so the serious possibility of those threads going into a private forum would be a good deterrent and moderate the tone of those discussions.

6. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  7. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I can guarantee you there would 1/10 the vehemence if this discussion was face to face.

8. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Stev0,

Maybe your intentions on this thread were good, but unfortunately others did not.
    What upset me was many posts were quotes, often out of context attempting to discredit the Bible - forget about a civil discussion when members are bent on putting a viewpoint on trial.

I'll say it again, my posts would be a lot different in the absence of members bent on discrediting me and my beliefs at all costs.

1 person likes this.
  9. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    They are attacks I doubt but one or two are honest attempts to elicit information, Stev0 So, not out of animosity but to prove a point and maybe settle this issue and dial down the hateoric, I'll issue the same challenge to you that I did to qbee42 in post #79 when he blamed believers for the anger . . . I'll do a side by side comparison of three out of 5 threads concerning religion and lets see who's angry and who's defensive. Oops I lied I modified the challenge to include "defensive" my bad.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/freds-house-pancakes/97165-its-bible-quotes-thread-2.html#post1378117

So far it appears qbee42 has picked option # [​IMG] *nudge*

10. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    ^ +14,660,521,408,300.79 or about the same as the national debt. Oh no I've just made this thread political! :eek: Surely I'll be infracted and the post moved to FHoPol! :ban:

11. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My favorite Bible quote:

Leviticus 14:34 - 14:46

When ye be come into the land of Canaan, which I give to you for a possession, and I put the plague of leprosy in a house of the land of your possession;
    And he that owneth the house shall come and tell the priest, saying, It seemeth to me there is as it were a plague in the house:
    Then the priest shall command that they empty the house, before the priest go into it to see the plague, that all that is in the house be not made unclean: and afterward the priest shall go in to see the house:
    And he shall look on the plague, and, behold, if the plague be in the walls of the house with hollow strakes, greenish or reddish, which in sight are lower than the wall;
    Then the priest shall go out of the house to the door of the house, and shut up the house seven days:
    And the priest shall come again the seventh day, and shall look: and, behold, if the plague be spread in the walls of the house;
    Then the priest shall command that they take away the stones in which the plague is, and they shall cast them into an unclean place without the city:
    And he shall cause the house to be scraped within round about, and they shall pour out the dust that they scrape off without the city into an unclean place:
    And they shall take other stones, and put them in the place of those stones; and he shall take other mortar, and shall plaster the house.
    And if the plague come again, and break out in the house, after that he hath taken away the stones, and after he hath scraped the house, and after it is plastered;
    Then the priest shall come and look, and, behold, if the plague be spread in the house, it is a fretting leprosy in the house: it is unclean.
    And he shall break down the house, the stones of it, and the timber thereof, and all the mortar of the house; and he shall carry them forth out of the city into an unclean place.

A bronze age diagnosis and remedy for sick building syndrome.

12. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Wow! Missed that entirely in my Bible reading. Pretty smart eh? This sounds like a solution to mold. Is mold a common cause in SBS?

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it meant banning any and all comments of a religious nature from all other forums - not just religiously themed threads - I'd be all for it, too. But I highly doubt the moderators have time to enforce that sort of thing. Politics have yet to be purged from non-political forums, and we've had a House of Politics for years. So, a Fred's House of the Holy Pancake may be a good idea, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

14. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ not perfect, but like political threads it would encourage self-moderation.

Anyone can flag a post if a thread gets out of hand.

It would reduce the excesses.

15. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Well, I doubt any bible quotes would have to be suffered(flaming theists are as obnoxious as flaming gays, they must feel "like catholic priests"that rubbing your face in it makes you eventually like it) outside of a dedicated thread, or not for long.

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In my opinion, self-moderation in the political forum has been a dismal failure.

17. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ I better clarify :eek:

The hottest political threads are moved to Fred's House of Politics. I think it tends to keep the ones left in public less bad (less bad is probably a better choice than "better")

That's my take.

18. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup, pretty smart for bronze age desert dwellers. It would be remarkably ignorant for an omniscient being.

Well, in the sense that destroying the house, and building over is a solution to most any building problem. Not first on the list however.

Yes, mold is a frequent condition in sick building syndrome. Not really a root cause, though.

19. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My three best friends are agnostic or atheist.

1 person likes this.
  20. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's fitting. My three best friends are theists.

2 people like this.