Its the tranny part 2: $4211

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by exstudent, Jan 29, 2011.

1. priusrust

priusrust Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Some people have gotten very good price from dealers". I was not one of these people. Went to my dealer -they wanted $230 to change the transaxle fluid. I thought I heard them wrong...then thought they misunderstood what I was asking for....finally I thought that this is what it might feel like being a bank employee during a stick up. Needless to say- doing it myself tomorrow. May save a sample of old stuff to have tested.

2. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Within 45 seconds my dealer quoted $289, then $189, then $119 for that service. After the $289 I noted that it wasn't a transmission that needed a flush, then he came back with $189 and I told him it wasn't much more than a manual gearbox fluid change, then he came back with $119. I'll do it myself.

priusrust likes this.
  3. priusrust

priusrust Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought used steel ramps to drive prius onto (on sloped driveway to keep it level) $20. Used (brand new ) torque wrench $20, oil collection pan $5, oil $35, alum crush washers $3. I'll do it tomorrow for $83 (not $230) and have a nice torque wrnch and a set of sturdy steel ramps. Gotta love dealerships.

Skibob and jb in NE like this.