1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's time! 100k proactive maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Bgustafson, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I'm preparing to do proactive maintenance on the 2013 Persona. This will include:
    1. Manifold Cleaning
    2. Throttle body cleaning
    3. Complete EGR cleaning
    4. PCV valve replacement
    5. Oil Catch can install
    6. .......Anything else I'm missing?

I'll be posting lots of questions and updates here. First things first: some initial questions as I begin to prep:

1) Here is the current list of items I'm going to purchase: What am I missing? (I have the basic tools: wrenches, drills, etc)
    • Ruien OCC
    • PCV valve
    • Steel drill brush set
    • Oxiclean
    • Brake cleaner
    • Coolant
    • .....What else?

2) What order should I perform all of these tasks in?
    3) What parts of this process should I be prepared for difficulties & aggravation? LOL

Thanks, everyone. (y)

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If removing the egr cooler, you’ll be pulling off the windshield wiper cowling, so I’d add spark plugs to the list;).

You done a transaxle drain and fill yet:whistle:?

Might be another good one to add to the list(y).

3. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Haven't done transaxle. Toyota plugs or...?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If doing a catch can and depending on where you want to mount it, it’s worth getting a couple of sections of fuel line versus the braided hose they give you as they kink or collapse easily under the conditions present:(: 4A7AEF9D-3DD5-41E5-ACCE-69818EB4CACE.jpeg

As for plugs, I just changed our 2010’s out for the Denso iridium plugs:

ED1D087B-ED31-443C-BFD8-91A401F73C37.jpeg 96726D52-76DB-450E-8885-39EA379302D0.jpeg

So far, so good(y).

m.wynn, Bay Stater and Grit like this.
  5. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Looking at the transaxle flush, I don't have a lift, so might just let the mechanic do that on next oil change. Seems easy enough, not much he can mess up....just charge me for it. :eek:

6. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You don’t need a lift, all you need are 4 jack stands and a jack :)

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Add check driver floormat.

Tyfly likes this.
  8. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I have Weathertech mats installed, so I should be good there. (y)

Bay Stater likes this.
  9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Brake flush/lube pins. Coolants.

#9 frodoz737, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  10. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    What parts or tools am I missing? Do I need to buy any gaskets?

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you're just getting it for expected spillage: you can do all your proposed chores without spilling a drop. For throttle body removal, it is not necessary to disconnect coolant lines. For EGR cooler removal, IF you drain a couple of liters from the radiator (via the tap and spigot at bottom, driver's side) into a clean container, the coolant level in the system will drop below the EGR system. Just take care lifting out the cooler, there will be a little coolant at the lower back corner: lift it out without tilting, then pour it into your coolant catch container.

When you're done, and everything is reassembled, leave one top hose above the EGR cooler off, pour the coolant back into the reservoir, give large diameter coolant hoses an occasional squeeze to "burp" them, and as you're pouring coolant, slowly near the end, a little may start coming out of the "left off" hose. Quickly push that hose back on, and finish pouring back the drained coolant. The level in the reservoir will likely be a bit high, above top mark, but with a day or two driving, will work back down to regular level.

Consider brass bristle, and maybe an assortment of nylon bristle pipe cleaners, long handles, various diameters. Most anything will come in handy: I used things like the slim wicker stalk, a grab-it tool with a rag, whatever. For the small diameter EGR passages feeding into each intake, traditional pipe cleaners would likely be good.

Everybody gravitates to this? Don't care to blow another $100 for the Moroso, lol? In any event, get some decent hose, black rubber fuel line (3/8" ID) spec SAE-30R7 (or R6) is good. Also, you'll likely need some 3/8" brass hose barb splices. I put stainless steel screw clamps on all connections, but in hindsight I'm not sure they're need: those hose barbs in particular are very tenacious once you push the hoses on. I resorted to "blunting" the barbs a bit with file (and cleaning good, get rid of the brass filings). The barb splices and screw clamps are readily available at most hardware stores, and automotive specialty shops should stock fuel line, phone around or check online to verify.

Consider also your mounting strategy, bracket, location. It might be worthwhile to start with something temporary, just to see how it goes.

Anyone care to comment: chlorinated or no? CRC? Get two cans?

Good question. I did everything on your list without changing any gaskets, at only 72K kms though.

Get a set of Torx sockets: you'll need E8 for the studs on EGR, and if you want to remove the studs on the intake manifold for throttle body, E6. I'd say taking the latter off is good practice, if you're going to be handling the intake manifold a lot, avoids risk of bending them. You need 1/4" drive for both those.

A ratchetting 12 mm box wrench is not mandatory, but very handy for the back bolts on the EGR cooler. I got one with a swivel head as well, maybe not strictly necessary, but handy.

#11 Mendel Leisk, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Robert Holt, Bay Stater, mjoo and 2 others like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When I went through the above I had a 1/2" (not needed) and 3/8" (used) drive drive torque wrenches, and kind of wished I had a 1/4" drive torque wrench as well. The throttle body studs for example, are something like 44 inch/pounds (3.7 foot/lbs, dividing by 12). The studs on the EGR are 84 inch/pounds (7 foot/pounds).

I think a good rule of thumb: if your sockets are 1/4" (like the Torx), the torque values are likely in 1/4" torque wrench range.

Of course @NutzAboutBolts sails through without ever contemplating a torque wrench, just using common sense and experience.

A novice with with a torque wrench can be dangerous: there was one guy here who opted to use torque wrench on the spark plug coil hold down bolts (a little over the top from the get go), and mis-read inch/pounds as foot/pounds: got out the big ol' 1/2" torque wrench, and summarily snapped the head off one bolt, left the threaded portion in the valve cover. He got it out.

One more thought: sometimes it's just impossible to use a torque wrench: no room. Or you can use it for some of the bolts, but not all. I try to use it for for all of the more important bolts, and if it's that case where you can torque some but not all, at least you get a feel on the more accessible ones, then try to apply similar pressure on the harder to reach bolt, with whatever you can reach it with.

Anyway, there's some torque values in the attached:

#12 Mendel Leisk, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  13. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’m not sure any chlorinated brake cleaner exists (the CRC brake clean I buy is non-chlorinated).

When doing our 2010’s egr cooler this round (for the second time) I got harbor freight’s 1/4 drive set and it is handy along with a short E8 short socket as the long E8 won’t work in all locations:(.

Good luck with your project (y).

Bay Stater and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I just realized @NutzAboutBolts lists all the parts I need below the video. :whistle:

I think I can find mostly what I need with a trip to harbor freight. (y)

15. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Well just checked the oil level and after only 3k since oil change ... dipstick reads nothing.... Well that's a head scratcher. Don't want to know where it's all going....:whistle:

16. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ouch, hopefully you caught it in time. Do check it often.

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  17. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Doh!! This is the car you just bought? Did you do the oil change?

This may point out my own mental instabilities, but even in my non-oil burning vehicles I pull the sticks at least once a week. I would start monitoring at least that often until the burn rate is verified with certainty. The distance between the hi-lo marks on the stick represents ~1.6 quarts. Perhaps you'll find it was simply under filled and isn't burning 1.5+ quarts in 3k:eek:. Regardless, if the burn rate is high, I'd personally expedite the EGR clean service. Good chance the cooler fouls quicker in oil burners.

18. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Timely post! I'm about to start most of this stuff on our 2012 Prius v (wagon)...and after that our 2012 liftback. IF it ever warms up...back into the 30s here...and potential for snow....sigh.

Stuff already done on the 2012 v (wagon) can be seen via link in my signature below. (y)

19. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I suspect it was under filled by the dealership, which is usually the opposite of what happens usually, or so I've heard. I'll keep a close eye now.

Bay Stater, m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing I noticed, doing an oil change day before yesterday: the O-ring on the oil filter housing had jumped the proscribed groove, shifted back to the flange where it bottoms out. I still had no oil leak, but perhaps it would have been more possible if the O-ring had half-shifted, made a more uneven seal. Anyway, Public Service Announcement: put a GOOD dollop of new oil all right round the O-ring, as it's in position, directly before install of the housing. Oh, and double check you've got a filter in there...

Bay Stater and m.wynn like this.