1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's time that they made a Gen 5 Prius v.

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Georgina Rudkus, Dec 16, 2022.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I wish that Toyota would bring back the Prius v using the Gen 5 chassis. I would buy one in a heartbeat,

And, so would taxi cab companies and drivers including Uber and Lift. Hybrid SUV's are not ideal due to the high threshold issue for older individuals and those carrying heavy boxes or bags of groceries.

2. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree but it's probably because Toyota combined two Prius teams (Hybrid and Plug-In) into one, so might be limited on the available model options.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Or suitcases; airport runs are a common taxi duty.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota already makes a Corolla Sport Touring, aka the wagon, as a hybrid.
    We just won't get it here because it would steal more sales away from the Rav4 than the competition. We don't even get the hatchback as a hybrid.

hill likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Corolla Cross Hybrid is the new v.

TGrracie and Sarge like this.
  6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It just has the all the SUV issues mentioned in the OP.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would buy a v phev

Rmay635703 and GuyLR like this.
  8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If Toyota made one, it'd be as common as the Rav4 Prime.

TGrracie likes this.
  9. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, but, you can't find them anywhere.

I am on the fence between a Rav4 Hybrid, Prius and Cross Hybrid (and sportage hybrid, but I think I've ruled that out because of the turbo engine). Wierd I know. Anyway, if I'm not mistaken, the Cross has less backseat space than the Prius? Not ideal for touting around kids... :)

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The new Prius wheelbase is 2 inches longer than the Corolla sedan's. The Corolla Cross could be made on the hatchback platform, which has a wheelbase almost 2.5 inches shorter than the sedan.

fsu23phd likes this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless they’re tall-in-the-torso kids :D

12. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True, these kids are average. I'm probably worrying too much about the cross interior space. I still haven't seen a dealer within 50 miles who has one on the lot that I can actually sit in. :) Oh well.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  13. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The current Prius Prime rides on a “custom “ chassis that is lengthened loosing body and weld commonality with the normal Prius.

As such the Prius V should have always been the “Prime” option and they would also have fewer issues integrating a properly sized battery

This also would have reduced costs for the international folks who continued to get the V after it died here

14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Sienna LE hybrid is highly valued by current drive-for-hire folks and simply vastly outclasses the older v in all categories except pricing. The 550-650 mile range (36-40mpg) is incredible.

We got a loaded 21 Sienna Limited last spring and it's about the best, most competent vehicle we've ever had. Vehicles crossed-shopped/test driven: Lexus RX400h (droooool), Rav4 Prime, and Model Y. It replaced a (POS) '20 Pacifica plug-in hybrid that has the distinction of the shortest stint in the fotomoto garage: 5 months ( & 4 breakdowns).

FWIW

drash likes this.
  15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The gen3, gen4, and Prime4 all have the same wheel base. The Prime is a few inches longer than the Prius. The wheelbase of the Prius v is actually longer than the Prime's length. (Wikipedia)

Toyota never moved the v/alpha/+ to the gen4 platform. Likely because to only place where it sold better than the US was Japan. Europe was bigger than Canada, but the car was saddled with an import tax like the Prius. All production ended in 2021.

With the current Corolla, Toyota moved to consolidate models in Europe. It replaced the Auris and Avensis. The wagon wasn't a direct replacement for the 7 seat Prius whatever. Are small 3 row cars a big market there? For that segment, Japan has two or three smaller minivans and a Rav4 variant from Toyota.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    ours (2018) - one of the 1st couple years built is in the service center for fire risk / traction battery recall (about a dozen of them burned up) - which was supposed to only take 2 days to correct. We are now on day 5 & they say it will take more days. (this after waiting over 2 months for an appointment. it's hard to wrap one's head around waiting that long for a risk that could burn down your house.) Curious - as to what your newer minivan issues were?

#16 hill, Dec 24, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
  17. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Same, battery related. Don't know specifically what was wrong as we never could get a fix and the last shop we tried gave us a month timeframe for "their guy" to look at it. Random error/trouble codes for the battery/power electronics left us stranded (bricked) 4 times. I thought we were safe being our '20 Limited was several years in on the production run. Combined with the Bolt fires, LG chem is not on my list of favorites.

drash and hill like this.
  18. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s called the Lexus UX 250h. About the same price a 2023 Prius v would have been, starting around $36K but good luck finding that base model. Has about the same cargo space as my 2012 Prius Plug-in. Gets 42 mpg combined, they only sell them as hybrids now. Curiously they have the same 2.0L engine as the 2023 Prius, but has slightly less horsepower. It’s slightly shorter than any Prius, but a lot wider than even the new Prius, so it handles really well. Comes in FWD and AWD. Has all the amenities that you can expect of a Lexus including a 4-year standard warranty and a real sun roof if wanted. They also did away with the touchpad interface and only have the touchscreen.

Pros:
    • There’s like 4 on just about every Lexus lot around here so a test drive is possible.
    • 4-year warranty instead of Toyota’s 3-year
    • Real Sun Roof available
    • Very quiet and very smooth
    • Rear window wiper
    • Wayyyy more colors than what Toyota offers
    • Light colored interiors available (and some exotic ones as well)
    • Front Passenger seat is also powered
    • Real HUD available
    • Sits higher and has slightly higher ground clearance so it’s easier to get in and out. But its only 1" higher than the current Prius so tailgate access is about the same as the Prius.
    • The standard stereo system was much better than my Prius Prime Limited which had more speakers.
    • Wicked good turn radius - I was able to u-turn within a typical 2-lane road
    • Real loaner cars when you have your car serviced.

Cons:
    • The AWD version has the same rear motor as the current AWD Prius - 7 HP
    • Uses run-flat 18” tires - no spare. (could be a Pro too, but I didn’t really care for them).
    • Lexus dealers are not nearly as numerous as Toyota dealers. But seriously I’ve never had a problem getting it serviced at Toyota dealers, if I needed it. I also get the same parts at the Toyota dealer like air, cabin and oil filters - much cheaper and the same part.
    • Gas mileage isn’t as great as equivalent Toyota because they weigh more and are a little higher. The current UX 250h is about 300 lbs more than the current Prius Prime. We use regular 87 octane.
    • Leg room in the rear is worse than the Prius but headroom is better.
    • I personally thought the ride in my Prime was better, probably because the UXh had run-flat tires but it might also be because it has a shorter wheelbase too. The 2023 UX 250h is supposed to have better run-flats but I haven't test drove the newer UX.
    • You only get 1 free oil change - 1 year free maintenace. In my case I didn’t mind because I preferred to change my own anyways - every 5,000 miles.
    • Service is more expensive (posted rates) than the equivalent Toyota dealership but I’ve never found out.
    • When you go browse the cars on the lot, nobody bothers you. You have to go in and ask about getting a test drive. This may be a Pro to some people however.
    When my wife went to test drive the UX 250h, RAV4 and the NX 300h, she chose the NXh. She loves the customer service with Lexus too. If Lexus made a UX Plug-in that would be my first choice.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, didn’t think the UX had the same cargo space as the v.

20. Sue Case

Sue Case Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well you must like to barbecue since you can easily do that on the Lexus front grill. Rest of car looks great but the front snout makes the "Predator" good looking. As in movie. Sorry but I need a car that looks sexy versus one with a real ugly front grill.

#20 Sue Case, Jan 2, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2023