1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I've been charging at work since Oct 2012 now Property Management say's I can't :(

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Rav, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Rav

Rav Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That would be awesome but according to the gal, they have no plans to :(

Trust me, I do see your point. But honestly, if you saw my setup, you would see no harm in it. We are in the heart of Silicon Valley and pay top $$$ to be here. They don't have any alternative for EV's so they should be able to make exceptions.

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If your employer likes their EV owning employees (read: considers this a perk to keep said employees happy), they might impress upon the building owner how that upgrade would be viewed favorably when it comes time to renew the lease.

3. Rav

Rav Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I doubt it, they are cheap. They are a giant conglomerate that only cares about $$$. Interestingly, my boss told me to continue charging if I wanted to. I said No because I want no trouble. That doesn't mean I can't hound the property management company for an exception.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The management company has ZERO motivation (or likely right) to provide an exception. This has to come from the property owners.

Of course your employer is cheap. However, that does not make them stupid. Help them understand that this is just a benefit that makes the employee very happy, and is very cheap to the employer. Let the company lean on the property owner to pay for the EVSE or at least share in the cost.

5. Rav

Rav Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sorry but sounds like I may have confused you. The property owner/management are the same company. My employer leases here and they gave me the approval to charge here. It's the property owner/management company that is saying I can no longer charge.

6. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think the best thing to do is to ask your employer to install a special outlet outside the building in the parking lot.
    I assume your are just park in the back door and plug in the outlet inside the building.

7. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Property manager is missing an opportunity to create revenue and increase value for the property. If the property manager contacted one of the many charging station companies and get educated. They can install a charging unit for about $3,500. They are supplied the unit, software, Install, analytics, warranty and maintenance. The Property manager can set the price (Free part of the Parking Pass/Lease deal but a fee for guests) and create revenue for the Property Management Company and satisfy the needs of the residents.

Your company may decide to reimburse you for charging if it is fee for everyone. Everyone wins.
    Property Managers need to get on board. You may want to review the web site and talk to the guy the next time you see him and invite an appointment with the company to learn more.

EV vehicles are growing in leaps and bounds and he needs to get with the program.

Electric Vehicle Charging Stations for Commercial Use | SemaConnect

Electric Vehicle Charging by ChargePoint

8. Rav

Rav Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    exactly, thanks for the feedback!

JMD likes this.
  9. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Yeah, that $0.30 per day extra just jumped out on the spreadsheet as the culprit for big losses at the company. Meanwhile leaving a few dozen PCs on, even in sleep mode overnight, the extra fridge that is 10+ years old and inefficient, lights left on in conference rooms, coffee makers hot all day, etc consume 10x-100x as much as that.

Mike

hyo silver, Coyotefred and JMD like this.
  10. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

My company just installed 6 new EV charging stations, beyond the 3 we already had. We have so many EVs/PHEVs we have a morning/afternoon schedule for using them.

I have a friend at ChargePoint...he says they are quite busy installing the charging stations all over Silicon Valley at companies.

If they insist you can't charge I might be able to get you an interview :) :)

Mike

11. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In your shoes, I'd just continue charging since your employer said its OK. If the property manager has an issue with it, then they can speak to your employer about it (and by your employer giving you their consent, it seems they are willing to deal with that if it comes to it).

I'd also inform the property manager that it is not an extension cord and plugging in your car is no different than using a power tool that is plugged into an outlet in the shipping area.

PLSPUSH likes this.
  12. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The property owner wouldn't just prohibit you from charging there for no reason out of the blue.
    Something happened- you blocked access to something while you were charging and someone complained- or someone just got jealous and complained because you got something (free electrons) they didn't. Generally property owners/managers don't do anything unless they're forced to. They're not there to make waves- they're there to make money....

People are extremely jealous when it comes to someone getting something they're not. I recently found an anonymous note on my PIP windshield that I shouldn't even be allowed to charge at the free public ChargePoint station!

13. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think the biggest issue is that you are parked in a non-designated parking area, that is not a marked parking space.
    I assume your building hosts more than one company, most likely sometimes the parking lot is full and people starting to park anywhere they like, that is why this rule. They can tow your car away.

14. Rav

Rav Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I see your point but I will comply with their request, I don't want trouble for anyone.

I wasn't blocking anything to anyone. None of my co-workers have EV vehicles or care for them. Prior to charging I asked my co-workers if my setup was a problem and all of them said No. I told them, the day it is to please tell me. I asked them again yesterday and they all said no.

Yes and we lease two spaces next to each other. The area where I park is hardly used by anyone because it's in the back. It's a huge, for the most part empty lot. The majority of the people park in the front of the buildings and even then there is plenty of space left. We are in a huge business park.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ny_rob sees conspiracy, where I see bumbling conservatism.

The property management does their due diligence by inspecting the property, and they find a car where it is not supposed to be, connected to a cord that should not be there. Why spend time figuring out if it is a problem (and maybe erring) when it is safer and easier to just say "stop that."

Your job, and your employer's job if they are willing to fight with you, is to force the property management to justify their objection or find an acceptable compromise.

DadofHedgehog likes this.
  16. Rav

Rav Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We are currently working on that.

Interestingly, the Nissan Leaf is still plugged in. (This is the guy that I think got me in trouble. He parks his car on a walkway in between two buildings and his cord setup is ridiculous because he has an extension cord from the building then into a cardboard box he connects his charger and out of that it the plug in goes towards his car, see pic. I wonder if he will get towed?,... we will see.)

Attached Files:

17. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, he definitely seems to be a bigger "violator". The cardboard box is likely "hiding" his EVSE brick.

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Is the EVSE in the cardboard box ? That sounds like a fire hazard.

19. Rav

Rav Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, because the Leaf doesn't have electric access like I do.

20. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Enter the bean counters and auditors. They know one thing: $$$ and how it affects the bottom line. The firm you work for sounds like it is not a charity, there for they are a business to make $$$. Consider proposing creating a committee to establish a company policy with charge ups. If you can do this: you make your boss and company look good. Valued employees help increase the bottom line and help reduce daily expenses. The use of charging at work threw up a red flag to the bean counters. This ultimately gets the attention of upper management. Also, other employees are impacted, why aren't they able to get free gas at work?

The company has to be fair to all, or lawsuits will result. On the issue of charging liability, this can be worked out.

DBCassidy