1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I've been charging at work since Oct 2012 now Property Management say's I can't :(

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Rav, Jul 11, 2013.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That depends strongly on where you are. Some of us are fortunate enough to live in places where most of the electricity does not come from fossil carbon. And some of us are even making our own from renewable sources.

hyo silver, iplug and SageBrush like this.
  2. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And there is the point that centralized power stations are for the most part much more efficient with respect to emissions than gasoline engines in cars.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Although in general, less efficient than a Prius ICE.

4. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    And even in regions that rely heavily on coal, the U.S. has already started to decrease its percentage of electricity from this source. With politics as they currently are, expect a continued rise in electricity generated from renewables to grow and from coal to continue to decrease .

5. theshark

theshark Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only other power source besides fossil fuel is Nuclear. Plug in vehicles save no fossil emissions period.. It takes twice as much energy to charge plug-in-vehicles vehicle. More emissions than a gasoline engine uses.

Looks to me that you want someone else to pay to charge your vehicle. I don't blame the Property Management CO telling you NO. Perhaps if you offered to pay for the electricity you use they may reconsider. Nothing is for free someone winds up paying.

6. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Renewables: predominantly large and small hydroelectric, solar, and wind

This is addressed in other threads, but this is not correct. Too much to address in this thread without going way off-track.

hyo silver likes this.
  7. theshark

theshark Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "solar, and wind"

Prius with a sail would look really funny lol

8. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you read the OP, you would've known that his employer is happily paying for the electricity and allows him to charge.

Rav likes this.
  9. Rav

Rav Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    But the Property Management does not pay our electric bill, the bill is paid 100% by my employer.

The Leaf is not charging today either, I don't see the benefit in this. Two EV's that could charge but are not allowed. *sigh*

10. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just my thought on this. It seems like the guy with the Leaf was who attracted the attention of the property manager. Perhaps someone working for the management company saw it or perhaps there was a complaint. Once they found out they are on the hook for any problems unless they did something, and this is the rub. They can either tell both you and the owner of the Leaf to stop and they cover themselves or just turn a blind eye and have liability.

I think the real issue is the guy with the Leaf. Whether or not how you charge is a problem could be (and has been) debated, but it seems like the Leaf is a problem. The answer to the Leaf is to tell the owner that charging is not allowed in the building/complex. Unfortunately that means all charging.

Rav likes this.
  11. Rav

Rav Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sadly, this is what I suspect has happened. Gee, thanks Nissan Leaf. One bad apple ruins the rest :(

12. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The property management does not like where both of you parked for charging, it has nothing against the PIP or the BEV charging.

13. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well at least you can ICE home... the Leaf owner is really the biggest loser here.

14. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :) With the increase in EV numbers, I can only imagine incidents like this and frustration with public and work place charging will only increase.

15. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Free charging is no guarantee. You can try but if it does not work out charge at home or something else

16. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I regularly get comments of "stealing electricity", "why do you get to use the company as a gas station?", or "i'm going to unplug you." I try not to stir the pot. When I get ICE'd (not a designated spot), I park somewhere else and wait for lunch to repark. My company is full of V8 trucks and SUV's.

I fully expect this perk will be revoked in the future due to liability, tripping hazard or some other offense. Sorry, I have no advice to give. Just hoping things work out for you and maybe I can learn something when I get in the same situation.

17. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was at LAX airport last week and no free Internet. Pay for access. I remember when airport wifi was free. Free electric charging stations for phones and laptops though.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even before I started making my own PV energy, fossil fuel and Nuclear made up less than 5% of the local utility's source fuel. 90+% was hydro, and more than half the rest was other renewables.

While this is abnormal for the country as a whole, numerous utilities in this region have similar figures.

hyo silver and iplug like this.
  19. Bonefish Blues

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I made sure I got a commitment that provision for charging would be made be made before I ordered a PiP, but I don't get a dedicated space - my colleagues are pretty good about keeping that space clear though (it also helps to arrive at the crack of dawn, of course!)

20. Frank Perkins

Frank Perkins Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Im asking my company to install a charger and pleading the "green" case. While true, for me it's mostly about keeping my MPG's up because I'm obsessed with using more EV and the stats (which I guess is green too).

The good thing is that I only have to be in the office twice a month so it's not a real big deal, but it would be NICE. We have a huge corporate campus and I drove all around and despite literally 100's of lamps to light the parking lots, there is not one outlet... well, actually I did find an outlet, but it looks like it was installed to maybe hook up a sump pump to a small pond area. I'm going to try to connect to it but it will also involve using a 25' ext cord to get it to the nearest parking spot. I wonder if security will freak out if they see some car plugged into a dried up pond? Breaking the law!