1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I've been charging at work since Oct 2012 now Property Management say's I can't :(

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Rav, Jul 11, 2013.

1. theshark

theshark Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The taxpaying base does nothing for me... I make way to much money to qualify.. If you can afford a $40.0000 plug in vehicle you can pay for your own charging.

PLSPUSH, dbcassidy and frodoz737 like this.
  2. SLOW_RR

SLOW_RR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I'm sure I'd be right there with the op if they took away my free charging spot at Work. Then again they just took away free vehicles for our management. Big business is trying to cut out the fat. We all feel entitled and when we lose our perks we all do the same thing.

[​IMG]

Everything from 1 ply toilet paper .... dirty wash basins ... insufficient leadership ... insufficient dedication of the troups ... on and on. It aint a perfect world. It's getting worse too, as cheep oil drys up. Even as cheep resources become less & less ... we expect more & more. Sorry, it aint the real world. So ... as long as you have a right to petition for a return to 'free charging' ... or better toilet paper ... or a company car, or better government ... go for it - I wish you the best.

Remember what J.F. Kenedy said. "Ask not what you can to for (input your own wish) your country ... ask what you can do (to bring about your wish) for your country. How about asking to pay for your charging at work, for example. There's a guy on 'mynissanleaf dot com' who wanted to get quick charging between south Orange County CA and San Diego County. Rather than wait for the "government-tit" to assist with the project ... he became a part of the solution, and now there's a QC near the jump off crossing Camp Pendleton Military Base. So ... be inspired.

dbcassidy likes this.
  4. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True, people do not own cars, but then again those same people don't have to pay a gasoline road maintenance tax.

Seems fair to me.

DBCassidy

5. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes, there is a specific gasoline road tax levied but it is small and insignificant towards paying the true cost. The gasoline road maintenance tax directly or indirectly pays for less than 50% of the infrastructure/repair costs. Then subtract the costs of negative externalities such as environmental and health damage (smog, CO2, asthma, etc.) and it can be argued it's cheaper than free.

hyo silver likes this.
  6. epi117

epi117 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Blame the leaf day.

7. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please be careful and alert, this sounds like someone has a real axe to grind. Try not to become a "target" fpr this person.

DBCassidy

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On a personal level, that makes perfect sense. On a societal level, something has to be done about ignorance and violence.

9. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree, education, reaching out, seeing other people views, LISTENING, and accommodating others would go a loooooong way.

DBCassidy

10. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My take on the situation is that before I bought the PIP last October- that one and only Chargepoint spot was hardly ever used for charging during business hours. It seems it was primarily used as a regular everyday parking spot for ICE vehicles all day long for the court employees. Now I come along and use it from 8:45am to 10:15am every weekday- and I think some of the court employees dislike the fact that it's kind of like a reserved spot (and I don't even work for the court) where they don't have reserved parking even for themselves in that lot. The Judges, etc.. have a gated reserved area for themselves, but the rank and file county employees don't and have to park in the public lot where the jurors, and other nearby business employees and clientele park.
    Now some of the court employees are very friendly- some have even asked about my mpg, etc... and we wave and say good morning every day. There are a few however that give me the look of death as they walk by- like I took their personal reserved parking spot- I'm guessing it's one of them that's the problem and one of them that left the anonymous note on the windshield.

To make matters worse- someone has recently started leaving an orange traffic cone with a homemade 8.5" X 11" sign with "PARKING FOR ELECTRIC VEHICLES ONLY" in the middle of the spot overnight after business hours. I have to get out and move it in the morning before I back into the spot in the morning. It was a few days after the cone started showing up that I got the note left on my windshield that it wasn't "my own personal parking spot... you may be towed/ticked, theft of electricity, etc....". I'm guessing that they think it's me who left the cone there... and while I appreciate the efforts of the person who did leave the cone there- it certainly didn't help my relations with the court employees.

11. Dan Cathy

Dan Cathy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Even if you don't own a car, you are using the road indirectly. You still need to get from point A to point B on roads whether you're carpooling or taking a bus, or sitting in your friend's car. As a consumer, the goods are transported by trucks using roads.

12. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Or light rail or train (predominantly goods transport) or sidewalks (much cheaper to build and maintain per capita) where you are not using the roads at all. Point being those who drive get much more out of the system than they put in and don't pay the indirect costs as described. Perhaps I'm biased, but I would call that better than free.

13. Dan Cathy

Dan Cathy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you go to a shopping mall, there are no rails behind it. Consumer goods are transported by trucks from distribution centers to the retail stores. Trucks use roads. I send my kids to private schools so I shouldn't have to pay school tax, right? Yet, I still do.

14. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Plenty of people live in big cities with negligible direct use of road transportation. Heavy rail, cargo ships, barges, and even those trucks move goods. None of them should get a “free ride”, and an efficient market would tax them at each level use, proportional to their direct and indirect costs.

So the original point wasn’t to come up with a list of inequalities in the tax code, but that many opposed to “free” charging were at the same time getting a pretty sweet deal as they were also driving “free” on roads.

15. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If a chargepoint electric vehicle charging station is installed, how are you stealing electricity?!

Someone is upset that you are using the convenient parking space. We have old paddle chargers at college where I teach. The EV spaces were always taken by regular cars. I had to send an email to the facilities to complain when I first bought my car. The solution they came up with was to cone off the spaces. I had to pull the cone every morning when I got to work and back in. Note.. They added 120v plugs onto the side of the paddle charges so we could use our personal EVSE.

I believe I am one of the only people who drive a PHEV, however I have seen a volt when we had special events parked in one of the spaces.

If you are using the charging station and moving it after a couple of hours, forget the jerks and use the station. Someone who drives a 10 mpg SUV is jealous you took their convenient parking space.

iPad ? HD

16. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After the note was left on my car- I called Chargepoint and read the note to the rep. He said as long as it was a public station (he then looked up the location in question and confirmed it was a free public station) I was 100% entitled to use the station without fear of being charged with theft of electricity.

I do move my car out every morning within 10min of charge completion. When I go out to my car later on in the afternoon for lunch break (usually around 2pm)- I usually do a visual check of the EV spot from across the lot. Without fail- the EV charging spot has always been taken over by one of the court employees (yes I know what cars they drive by now) after they came back from lunch and continue to ICE the spot till they leave for home at 4-4:30pm.

FWIW- the day that the anonymous person left the "warning" note on my windshield- there was a second small handwritten note on there asking me to call a cell number when I was done charging. When I got back from moving the car- I called the cell- it was a BMW owner with a BMW ActiveE car who was looking to charge. When I spoke to him I mentioned something about the "warning" note that was on the windshield. He said he read it and was very surprised at it's contents. When I mentioned the "ticketed/towed/charged w/theft of electricity" part of the note he also said "well, it's a public station... I don't think they can do any of that". After speaking with him for a few min- I got the feeling he's one of the attorney's that frequents the court complex. He also mentioned that he's been ICE'd several times like I've been.

17. SLOW_RR

SLOW_RR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Since it is a County Building, you might want to send a note to an elected county official about the problem. I would suggest to him/her that the county should have an ordinance making it an offense to ICE the spots. Be worth seeing what they had to say anyway.... ;)

18. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been trying hard to stay "off the radar" as they say so far.
    The problem at this particular location is that there's no clear indication as to who's in charge or responsible for this parking area. It's a county court that shares it's offices and parking/infrastructure with the town courts in a municipal lot!
    The few times I've called to complain about the parking situation- I've been referred to the Court Clerk who's told me the exact same thing each time I've called "We don't have any reserved parking at the court" and "all I can do is ask someone nicely not to park there in the future".
    It's a very frustrating situation that's clear as mud to me...

19. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not sure what state you are in, but in California it is illegal to park in an EV charging station.

Leave your car parked with your cell # on your dash with a charge note letting other EV drivers know that you will move your car if they need the charge. The other morons can go jump in a lake.

iPad ? HD

Order a no parking sign and install it yourself. LOL

Take matters into your own hands.

iPad ? HD

20. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base