1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I've driven 170 miles, averaged 49mpg, and I've used half a tank

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by JaymzB0nd, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My ‘CONS’ in warm weather is always over 55MPG. These are my last 5 fill ups. Most of the time I fill up with less than 11 gallons. I found that 49F/47R makes a huge difference on MPG’s.

[​IMG]

How many miles did it show remaining on the tank after 170 miles?

2. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1-How accurate is the gas tank capacity ?

2-How much gas is required to simply fill the gas lines, fuel pump ?

3- since the gas also cools the fuel pump, running the gas down to the lowest mark should instill panic.

Once two bars are left I fill up immediately. Why risk a very expensive engine component needlessly.

3. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Jaymzbond...your experience is very similar to mine...I expected a dramatically improved range and what I got was about the same weekly fill-up schedule I had with my Murano...only difference is I use about half the fuel...I have never gone below 2 bars....

4. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was thinking of this thread and took some pics. If I get time I will do it when I have 170 miles also.

I have the exact same scenario. Started with a full tank and drove 140 miles. I did not lose any of the lines and the gas gauge. Here is a pic..

[​IMG]

Here is the math. The CONS MPG is 62.6 * 9.5 gallons of fuel = 626 miles on a tank. I have used 140 miles and should have 453.9 left. The miles remaining shows 448 miles.

[​IMG]

I am guessing when miles left is 0 you have used 9.5 gallons. You still have 2.4 gallons of reserve. 2.4 gallons * 62.6 MPG = 150.24 miles until empty or a dry tank (not good). Really it is possible for me to get 739.04 miles until the tank is dry. I have never pushed it to the end. I have had many tanks over 600 miles.

There is no reason a half your tank should be half empty after 170 miles getting 49MPG. I have asked this a few times. What is your miles remaining show?

As I stated before running the A/C directly affects the MPG as you drive. Some have posted it does not show up in your CONS MPG. This is not true. It is 85 in Cleveland and run the A/C at 72 deg in ECO mode.

5. JaymzB0nd

JaymzB0nd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you for all of your input and ideas. I don't remember how many miles remaining it had but the next time I fill up I will check to see. The last time I filled up, I had driven 80 miles averaging around 49mpg again and had all of my gas bars. Shortly thereafter I noticed 2 missing.

6. JaymzB0nd

JaymzB0nd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Okay so today after 437 miles at 48.1 mpg, mileage calculator came to 0. Looking over the history, I usually fill up at around 433. I filled up 9.5 gallons as well.