1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I've erased error code "P0A80" more than 10 times after "Check hybrid system" alerts, is it safe?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Kenny123123, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Kenny123123

Kenny123123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After "check hybrid system" alerts, I've erased error code "P0A80(Replace Hybrid Battery Pack)" for over 10 times using OBDII. The alert "check hybrid system" came up suddenly almost weekly. Can I still erase the code again and again? Will there be any future problems? Should I replace hybrid battery pack as soon as possible?

Thanks~

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It will be safe until it is not.
    Have I seen electolyte has vented and leave a nasty resisue? Yes.
    Have I seen small fires? Yes.
    Are either of these guaranteed to happen to everyone? No.
    So I guess the question is how lucky do you feel?

Batteries fail in different ways.
    Internal short leaky electrolyte, corroded terminals, voltage imbalance, low capacity, high resistance, etc

No one can tell without seeing more info or data how exactly yours has failed.

Your car is telling you there is a problem. Ignoring it will not fix it. You will need to deal with the battery in some way.

Hopefully you aren't doing more damage, but you might be.

Is there anyone nearby with tools that can extract more data about the hybrid battery? (Voltage of modules, internal resistance, etc)

Or can you work on the batty yourself to open it up an inspect it?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. jack black

jack black Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    there is another thread on this, someone has been doing this for a while.

4. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I. I have been doing this for a while. it has progressively gotten MUCH worse. You are damaging your good modules by doing this. And risking exploding modules, so far mine has not done this but im not gonna push it any more.

5. Tiny.prius

Tiny.prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    How do you reset the hybrid light? I cleaned the fan on my 2013 PriusC to see if that’s the issue, but I only know how to reset the maintenance light.

6. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Ignoring a problem, will never fix it. Your simply going to damage more components (ie. modules, charging system and sub-assemblies), so making it more expensive to repair. When you got your first error, your probably only had one or two modules failed. The modules are arranged in series; so when you have a couple of bad modules - the surrounding modules needs to "pick-up " the slack. The extra strain on the surrounding modules, will cause a cascade effect - damaging more modules.

Do they repair traction battery packs in Taiwan or do you have to replace the entire assembly?

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The question from Taiwan is 4+ years old. The poster who just resurrected the thread seems to be in SF.

BiomedO1 likes this.
  8. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Without an OBDII reader; you can just disconnect the 12V battery for 20 minutes. You will lose all you setting and presets and your sensors will go through a relearn cycle; so expect some strange behavior.

Hope this helps