1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I've gone solar.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Godiva, Aug 9, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you haven't already, write down dates and times, take them from your cell phone info if you have it. Write down every little thing you can remember.

When feces hits the proverbial rotating air moving blades that kind of detail will be what gives you the edge in getting this covered. "Bait and switch" might be a good phrase to use when necessary as well....convincing you to spend $23k on their system is a lot easier than convincing you to spend $23k + $5k for the electrical upgrade. "Failure to inform" you of all necessary information to allow you to turn on a functional system.

I sincerely hope they just step up and do the right thing here, and coming out right away with a well written, professional letter to the head honcho with dates/times/statements, etc., before they have a chance to say "no" to you, might get you a long way and avoid some kind of ugly battle in court or something.

To me you sound like you're expectations are realistic...you're willing to cover the cost of materials...and that should go a long way too.

2. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Visted Sierra Nevada College at Incline Village (North Lake Tahoe), CA, at the 1981 meter elevation, this past weekend as part of the 14th Annual Sierra Nevada Alliance conference. This site has 6,000 to 10,000 heating-degree days per year. The entire campus makes a concerted effort to be "green" (buildings, landscaping, water, power, lighting, heating and cooling). In particular, solar hot water is so hot that cold water must be added to bring the temperature down at the tap. The campus is a cooperative effort between UC-Davis and UN-Reno for research in the Lake Tahoe watershed. The College offers 4-year degrees.

The interior is illuminated with light shelves and diffusers. The air exchange system is so large you can walk through it (interior air is "fresh" and not the usual CO2 sleeping-inducing stuffiness). The exterior appears to be wood, but is a much more durable, fire-proof material (periodic wildland fire is an integral part of healthy Sierra Nevada ecosystems). Photovoltaic panels and natural gas is used on site to generate electricity. "Excess" electricity is returned to the grid.

The left photograph shows the exterior solar hot water facility with a Trex exterior. You can see the light shelves at the top of each window on the second story. The right photograph shows the hot water system on the interior.

http://www.sierranevada.edu/index.php?id=24

http://www.sierranevadaalliance.org/

If you have the opportunity, visit Sierra Nevada College.

[attachmentid=10528][attachmentid=10529]

Attached Files:

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A little update.

First... I should be online next week sometime.

Now some backstory.

*I* called SDG&E on Aug. 2 to come out and look at my meter. Scott came out the next day and apparently wrote up a service order and meter replacement for 125 amps. Izzy, the Borrego electrician was there so you'd think they would have talked this over.

I called SDG&E on Monday to check on my service order. I was told there was one but no date. I was also told it took 2 weeks. Breanna took pity on me and got me an expidited date for Thursday, Aug. 9.

Meanwhile Borrego set up a city inspection for Wed. Aug. 8 without telling me and I had to go in to work so I wasn't there. Don, the city inspector told Kyle, the Borrego low man on the totem house sitter that they couldn't tap into the line and why. He apparently also told Kyle that I needed 125 amp service but that message didn't get back to the main office.

So on Thursday, Izzy tells me they're not going to tap into the line because it's grandfathered in and they're going to use my breaker box instead because it goes up to 125 amps. I asked him if it's not safe for the line, why is it safe for the box? I'm assured (again) that I'm fine. And Josh, the project manager, has canceled my SDG&E service call because they say it's no longer needed.

So the inspector comes out Friday and duh, my house fails. This time neither Izzy or Kyle are there. Instead it's the foreman John, who I've spoken to on the phone a few times. The inspector goes into great detail as to why they cannot do this and why my service has to be upgraded. I ream John a new one, including the SDG&E appt. that got canceled and that all of this should have been known before any work was done. The inspector said both he and SDG&E should have been called weeks before work to do an evaluation.

Yesterday, Monday the 13th Keith, the Service Manager from Borrego Solar (Josh's boss) sent an electrician, Bill, out to look at the property and see what needed to be done. Bill takes one look at the meter and says "You have 60 amp." Wow, same thing inspector said. In fact everyone seems to know what it is by looking at it except Izzy. Or Izzy knows and isn't saying anything.

I had a long conversation with Don, the inspector this morning. Seems he was also out there on Wed, something I did not know at the time, had told them all of this on Wed. something I did not know at the time. And he explained why I need 125 amp service instead of the normal 100 for single family homes. This is important because Bill kept saying 100 amp and I kept correcting him to 125 amp. My conversation with Keith this morning repeated that with the addition of: this is what the inspector wants and you always give the inspector what he wants. You can't argue with them because they will always win. They will simply continue to fail you until you give him what he wants. He's also agreed that including a pre-inspection by both the city inspector and SDG&E would be a good idea for older homes before work is done.

Bottom line? Borrego solar agrees to pay for labor and I will pay for materials for a 125 amp service upgrade. *I* called SDG&E. Breanna is becoming my new best friend. She got me a service call for Monday, Aug. 20 despite the fact there is usually a two week wait. This is the second time she's come through. (Remember...the first service call was canceled by Josh.) She also told me that Scott had already put in a service request after he came on Friday, Aug. 3 and it specified 125 amp service. Didn't I get the paperwork? No, could you send me a copy? I suspect it went to Borrego Solar. In which case they SO KNEW I needed this and I still didn't find out until the inspector came on Friday, Aug. 10.

At any rate I'm getting an upgrade that I don't have to entirely pay for. And my system should be running sometime next week.

It's been very stressful but my tearducts got a good flushing.

4. kdlibny

kdlibny Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 10 2007, 12:44 PM) [snapback]493595[/snapback]</div>

I just rec'd an estimte from LIPA for about the same space but much more expensive, 40,000 with rebates putting it to 20,000. HOwever I do not have a sloping Southern roof, only a west one which he said will generate 65 percent of my elect. needs. Do you know of any senior loans for solar. I live near the ocean so trees are very scrubby and small and a lot of sunshine.. kd

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kdlibny @ Aug 14 2007, 09:47 PM) [snapback]495839[/snapback]</div>
    Are you in California?

The rebate varies with which way you face and how much shade you have. Mine was a nearly perfect location, etc. so I got the max.

I don't know of any senior loans but there is something called an Energy Efficient Mortgage if you are refinancing. There's EEM software from Fannie Mae that lenders can use to process your loan. It's worth asking about wherever you bank. There is also an Energy Improvement Mortgage (EIM) that adds to your existing mortgage if you don't want to refinance. The EIM can finance up to 100% of the costs for upgrades up to 15% of the value of your home.

6. atrocity

atrocity New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 10 2007, 08:44 AM) [snapback]493595[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not exactly sure what model I've got, but I had a Noritz installed several years ago and I'm happy.

I agree with the previous poster saying it won't really pay for itself financially. The problem many of us face is not the cost of the water heater, but the cost of upgrading to a 3/4" gas line to feed it. As tankless becomes more popular (well, IF it becomes more popular), they might actually be cheaper to replace when the time comes.

Aside from the usual "You never run out, but you never heat it when you don't need it" aspect of a tankless water heater, I also appreciate the ability to quickly adjust the temperature up or down. I keep it low pretty much all the time, but crank it to the max when running the dishwasher.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Like any upgrade to a new technology, it's the initial cost that's high.

Once the gas pipe is converted to 3/4 and the flue is in, in 20-30 years I'll just have to replace the tank, hopefully not replumb and reflue.

Right now I'm also exploring electric. It's something I'll be discussing with the plumbers I'll be contacting since I've never heard back from Pip. Electric is more efficient and doesn't require a flue. That saves some. It will require wiring. But it looks like I'm going to end up with 125 amp service to my house so I might be able to accommodate an electric tankless. Give it it's own circuit breaker and everything.

8. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If your thinking electric tankless and your getting your service redone, future-proof your service with a 150 Amp service. Those things can draw a lot of power.

Wayne

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Aug 15 2007, 09:18 PM) [snapback]496620[/snapback]</div>
    Well, if Borrego Solar agrees to pay the labor (I've offered to pay for materials) then it will be 125 amp service because that is what the inspector wants. They're giving me enough grief. No way I can get more of an upgrade from them.

If they don't agree....I'll be canceling my second service call and they can take me to arbitration or to court.

10. kettledrum

kettledrum Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 10 2007, 01:45 PM) [snapback]493636[/snapback]</div>
    Cool. :)

The page does say that your panels were installed in August 2008, though. :)

11. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So how does it feel when you see the meter turn backwards?

12. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Way to go Godiva! Your house looks great with all the updates you've done! I tried to talk my husband into Panels (AZ is a great place for them) But he's not interested in spending all that $$ upfront even those our energy co pays half. I can't wait to hear more about yours!

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Aug 16 2007, 12:12 PM) [snapback]496987[/snapback]</div>
    I'll let you know when it does.

It failed inspection.

Borrego Solar keeps saying it's my fault because my Dad put in a 125 amp panel and they ASSUMED my service had been upgraded when in fact I only have 60 amp service. My position is that I told them everything I knew and instead of making "assumptions" they should have checked to see what kind of service I had before they started work. The City Inspector told them the same thing; they should have called him and SDG&E to evaluate the service before work commenced.

However:

On Friday Aug. 3 an SDG&E planner came out and told a Borrego Solar employee that my service was only 60 amp and needed to be upgraded. I was never told. Work resumed.

On Wed. Aug. 8 a city inspector came out and told a Borrego Solar employee that my service was only 60 amp and needed to be upgraded. I was never told. Work resumed.

When did *I* find out? On Friday, Aug. 10 when my house failed inspection. The City Inspector told me I only had 60 amp service and needed 125 amp. He witnessed me ream the Borrego Solar foreman a new one.

And I found out later that the inspector was the same one that had come out on Wed. Aug. 8 and at that time he'd told Borrego Solar of the need for an upgrade. And when I called SDG&E I found out I already had a service order request. They sent me a copy and it say on Aug. 3 their planner told the Borrego Solar electrician I needed to upgrade to 125 amp.

I've offered to pay the parts if Borrego Solar pays the labor for an upgrade. While their contract says they don't have to pay for upgrades, I think they've dealt with me in bad faith at least two times, failing to inform me of my inadequate system and continueing to work. I don't know if they were hoping a different inspector would come out on Aug. 10 and pass it but it sure bothers me they knew it was inadequate and didn't say anything and continued to work. Was was supposed to take 2.3 days is now stretching into three weeks.

I haven't updated any of this on the webpage. But if Borrego Solar jerks me around I certainly will. And I'll call our local newsguy and see if I can get on the "Turko files".

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(h2photo @ Aug 16 2007, 12:42 PM) [snapback]497020[/snapback]</div>
    If your energy co pays half then you really should. The state and fed rebates only account for a little over a third of my costs. Providing the system ever passes inspection.

14. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Sorry to hear all the problems Godiva,

The Borrego Solar jerks should do the upgrade with no questions asked. Don't let them pass the buck.

Anyone who has been around the Electrical block once or twice will know when they see a round meter base as in your picture it is 60 amp service. The 100,125 Amp are square to rectangular and the 200 amp meter bases became rectangular.
    It is tougher to tell by looking at the bases at that point when they became rectangular.\ as to the amp rating. but then if they can see the service entrance cable and check the size that would tell them also.

As FireEngineer said do the better upgrade now 150-200 amp.
    it will also add to your resale value then you can add more panels and so forth.

You can have your own private utility company :)

good luck with the Borrego Solar jerks!!!!

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Aug 16 2007, 04:49 PM) [snapback]497270[/snapback]</div>
    My limit on panels is based on the inverter which is 125 amp. That's why it has to be 125 and not 100. Now.....the last e-mail I got said the electrician's proposal was a 125 amp panel with a 100 amp main breaker. Red flag. I told them that the inspector said 125 amp and if that breaker doesn't meet his requirements it will still fail inspection.

I had no idea about the shapes of the meters. Just more fuel to the fire. I think I've made them a more than reasonable offer. And I will not be moved. So far they only have $1,000 because they neglected to ask for the first and second progress payments when they did their work. Now I've written the checks and will pay them the first and second. But I will withhold final payment because the contract says it is not due until the system passes inspection. Now the contract also says that I am responsible for any upgrades. However, I feel that have dealt with me in bad faith because they intentionally withheld all of this information and continued to work and then let the inspector fail my system when they had known for at least a week (or even longer now that I have this information about the meters). If they think they can get off scott free, they can think again.

If they refuse I'll tell them I'll upgrade the system on my own (and then consider the 150-200 amp) and then take the entire cost out of the final payment. If they don't like they they can either take me to arbitration or court. Either way I think I have enough dirt on them to prove bad faith. And they can put a lien on my house but they can't take it because it's homesteaded. And since I never intend to sell they'll wait forever for their money. They may even be out of business before I die.

They really don't know who they're dealing with.

Oooo. They SO don't know who they're dealing with.

They just made a counter offer of me paying $925 for materials and permits plus want me to pay half of the labor $450. I told them no, my original offer is more than generous. It's that or nothing. And to add to the meter info (thank you so much that so shows them to be ba$TURDS) I've learned that SDG&E faxed THEM the documents that show I have to upgrade to 125 amps.

Let the try to sue me.

<strike>I think I'll call Michael Turko.</strike>

Final update:

Looks like I won't be on TV after all. While not admitting fault, they have agreed to take the $900 cost of labor off my final payment. So I win. Or at least I get my terms. I think that last bit with the info about the meter plus proof that they knew on Aug. 3 I needed an upgrade and neglected to tell me might have been the final straw. And possibly my liberal use of the term "bad faith". I think I also threw in bait and switch at least once.

Did I mention? I called my planner at SDG&E to find out when and to who the papers showing I needed a service upgrade were sent. They faxed them to the Borrego Solar electrician on Aug. 3. He's listed on these papers as the contact. So they KNEW on Aug. 3 and still went and entire week without telling me.

So I will call the electrician tomorrow and make sure he knows exactly what the inspectors want and how long he has to finish the work. It has to be inspected before 2 pm. I guess *I* better make sure an inspector is there prior to 2 pm because I can't rely on anyone else to do their job right.

Let this be a lesson to all.

And don't call Borrego Solar if you're thinking of putting in a PV system.

16. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What does it take to upgrade your house to 125 amps? I mean, do they have to replace wiring, outlets, etc? If so, I'm just curious who pays for all of the walls being torn apart and repaired. Hopefully for your sake it's not like that. Just make sure you have a clear understanding of what they need to do and what shape they are going to leave your house in once their done. You've been jerked around enough by these bungholes.

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Aug 16 2007, 11:20 PM) [snapback]497579[/snapback]</div>
    No tearing up of walls or replacing outlets and rewiring of the house. Only the main line coming in to the current circuit breaker box.

On my house they are taking out the meter and replacing it with a new meter and probably a new plug (that's the round thing with all of the dials and the ring that goes backwards. I'll probably get a new one.) There will also be a new circuit breaker box with a main shutoff breaker on the outside as well. They will be replacing the conduit from the electrical line running from the alley to the house down to the meter and from the meter to the new circuit breaker box (that all might be in the same box, not sure) and then into the house where the current box is. That will become a sub panel and will be closed up. Because the line from the street is so old SDG&E will be replacing that as well but that is free of charge. Total cost: $1875. No I didn't shop around but I expect this is a pretty competitive bid. Borrego Solar contacted this guy, who does not work for them. But he has worked on houses they've installed solar on. Probably same sort of situation I'm in; they didn't tell the owner and then the owner had to hurry up and upgrade. If I got my own guy I'd have to pay the entire thing. I'll be paying $975 for the materials and the permits, they'll be paying $900 for labor.

I have an e-mail stating they agree to take $900 off of the final payment so that's it. It should happen on Monday if there are no hitches. I'm going to have my House maintenance and Landscaping guys on call for Monday in case I need an emergency housecall for some carpentry or something.

Now if I had known about all of this up front I could have either chosen not to put it in at all or I would have paid for the entire upgrade myself and had it done before work even started. Then I could have paid for 150 or even 200 service. But I wouldn't have had all of the information I have now and probably would only have put it the bare minimum to meet code. My current circuit breaker box says it's for 125 amps. That's what they're putting in on Monday. So either way, that's what I'd have. I don't feel guilty making them pay for this. They outright lied to me. And they still won't admit they did anything wrong.

This reminds me of the Rutgers girls and Imus. Imus never admitted he was wrong and apologized. He may have said the words but there was no sincerity behind them. To this day I'm sure he doesn't understand what all the fuss is about. And the Rutgers girls don't feel like they have justice. The only thing they can do is take some money from him. That's really the only thing that kind of person understands anyway.

So I'm punishing Borrego Solar for lacking integrity, honesty, fair dealings. For their lies, deceitful business practices and bad faith.....their punishment is to pay $900. And they will count themselves lucky that they didn't take me to arbitration or court and end up paying the entire amount. (Plus being on the Turko Files.)

Smucks.

18. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When I read "iI've gone Solar" I immeadiately thought of this....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cool idea though... ;) :)

19. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow. How did I miss this excitement for so long? Must be the new leaf I'm turning over where I try to spend less time on the computer. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 11 2007, 08:39 AM) [snapback]493976[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, there is simply NO question that this is true. 90% of the systems that my company sells are retrofits, so we're tooled up for that.... but installing them on a new building where the roofing can go on AFTER the stand-offs, etc just makes for a better, cheaper installation. Plus designing the house with the proper slope and compass direction of roof can make all the difference in the world.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 14 2007, 08:35 PM) [snapback]495886[/snapback]</div>
    There's really no such thing as "getting the max." You'd have to be on the equator, and figure out how to make the sun never set. The rebates are calculated on Latitude, local expected insolation, orientation, elevation... all kinds of stuff. There just isn't any "max" rebate, I'm afraid.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 16 2007, 03:29 PM) [snapback]497308[/snapback]</div>
    This has me confused. Inverters are typically rated in kW, not Amps. And I've yet to see a residential inverter that used a 100A breaker, much less 125. We typically use a 15 or 20A breaker on residential installations. And unless your electrical was grossly undersized before the addition of solar, there's no logical reason that adding solar should require upgrading the service capacity. Adding the solar means that you are using LESS capacity from the grid... or the same (at night). I'm sure I'm missing something here, but it has me scratching my head now!

20. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Aug 17 2007, 11:42 AM) [snapback]497885[/snapback]</div>

My slope is 30 and my roof is South (-13). For an 85 year old house not bad at all.

The walls aren't insulated and I have the original double hung windows, but I did put insulation in the attice and someday will do the floor as well. Generous crawlspace. I have natural gas furnace so that doesn't effect the PV so much. I'll probably insullate the roof rafters now that the PV is in. I was putting it off.

While this has been a very stressful experience it would have been less so if I had hired a company with integrity. Who knew? They had excellent references. I would not recommend them to anyone. Despite the fact the installers do excellent work, it's the lack of character of the management that is the bottom line.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Aug 17 2007, 11:51 AM) [snapback]497885[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not talking about generating power, I'm talking about getting money from State and Fed. I'm getting whatever the state and Feds are allocating with very little taken off. SDG&E would prefer a lower angle and more west facing because they want the most generation for the summer peak hours. But for year round I'm doing pretty well. I'll be getting about $6,000 back from the state and $2,000 from the Feds. $2,000 is the maximum from the Feds. So no, I'm not generating the maximum power, but I am getting a lot of money

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Aug 17 2007, 11:51 AM) [snapback]497885[/snapback]</div>
    My limit on how many PV panels I can have is based on the size of the inverter. I could have 6 more installed with my current inverter.

The inspector says the inverter determines how much service I need. I currently have 60 amp. I need 125 amp based on the size of the inverter. And he wanted a new circuit breaker panel for the entire house installed on the outside. That means the new circuit breaker box has to be rated for the new 125 amp service. There will be a main breaker in that box. Shouldn't that main breaker be 125 just like the service etc? These are the kinds of questions for which I'm not getting straight answers. I wouldn't trust their answers anymore anyway. Yes, the breaker for the solar is just 20 amp. It's the rest of my electrical service that doesn't meet code. I was grandfathered in with the 60 amp. Now that they've done this I am required to bring everything up to current code. Something I was assured I wouldn't have to do BEFORE I signed the contract.

If the inspector wants 125 amp service coming in and a 125 circuit breaker box on the outside of the house, don't I need the main breaker to also be 125?