1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I've gone solar.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Godiva, Aug 9, 2007.

1. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    How does SDG&E read the meter with your dog?

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n8kwx @ Sep 11 2007, 09:10 PM) [snapback]510972[/snapback]</div>
    Currently, they stand on the balcony of the apartment next door and use a little telescope to read both the electric meter and the gas meter. They've been doing this for years. Eventually they'll convert both the gas and electric meters to some sort of radio/gps thing where they can read them electronically from their cars, or something. They'll start converting in 2008 and finish about 2012.

All I can say is I'm not putting one more penny into this and I'm not lowering my property values by uglifying my yard to do a quick, cheap fix because Borrego Solar are cost-cutting, morons.

I'll go as far as to build a second gate in the back area between the garage and fence. That's it. Anything else and they can just forget it. It will sit there and NEVER TURN ON.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n8kwx @ Sep 11 2007, 09:10 PM) [snapback]510972[/snapback]</div>
    Currently, they stand on the balcony of the apartment next door and use a little telescope to read both the electric meter and the gas meter. They've been doing this for years. Eventually they'll convert both the gas and electric meters to some sort of radio/gps thing where they can read them electronically from their cars, or something. They'll start converting in 2008 and finish about 2012.

All I can say is I'm not putting one more penny into this and I'm not lowering my property values by uglifying my yard to do a quick, cheap fix because Borrego Solar are cost-cutting, morons.

I'll go as far as to build a second gate in the back area between the garage and fence. That's it. Anything else and they can just forget it. It will sit there and NEVER TURN ON.

4. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't want to upset you any more, but the whole disconnect thing is more of a "feel-good" measure than real safety. All modern grid-tie inverters are designed (and UL tested!) to shut off output during a power failure. In addition they can detect the difference between real grid power and other nearby inverters to prevent "islanding".

I'd we willing to bet a nice dinner that the power company does not go around shutting off inverters during a power failure. They are much more worried about some guy with an generator that isn't hooked up to code.

Good luck.

5. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't want to upset you any more, but the whole disconnect thing is more of a "feel-good" measure than real safety. All modern grid-tie inverters are designed (and UL tested!) to shut off output during a power failure. In addition they can detect the difference between real grid power and other nearby inverters to prevent "islanding".

I'd we willing to bet a nice dinner that the power company does not go around shutting off inverters during a power failure. They are much more worried about some guy with an generator that isn't hooked up to code.

Good luck.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n8kwx @ Sep 12 2007, 12:00 AM) [snapback]511099[/snapback]</div>
    That may well be. But the SDG&E guys was adament that they have access to both the meter and the shut off. He said in the event of a blackout someone would be coming in my yard and manually shutting off my system to ensure my PV wasn't sending power out to the line and electrocute some poor lineman. Whether it's true or not doesn't matter. Without the 24/7 access, he is not going to approve it.

I haven't heard from Borrego Solar and I don't care anymore. If they do not contact me in a timely manner, I will inform them their services are no longer required. I will have the work done by someone else and I will deduct the entire cost from my final payment. They can take me to court if they wish. My witnesses will be SDG&E's netmetering guy Ken and City Inspector Dale. The judge will not be amused by their business practices. And I'll win.

I always win. Because I know when I'm right and I document everything to prove it.

They really have no idea who they are dealing with.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n8kwx @ Sep 12 2007, 12:00 AM) [snapback]511099[/snapback]</div>
    That may well be. But the SDG&E guys was adament that they have access to both the meter and the shut off. He said in the event of a blackout someone would be coming in my yard and manually shutting off my system to ensure my PV wasn't sending power out to the line and electrocute some poor lineman. Whether it's true or not doesn't matter. Without the 24/7 access, he is not going to approve it.

I haven't heard from Borrego Solar and I don't care anymore. If they do not contact me in a timely manner, I will inform them their services are no longer required. I will have the work done by someone else and I will deduct the entire cost from my final payment. They can take me to court if they wish. My witnesses will be SDG&E's netmetering guy Ken and City Inspector Dale. The judge will not be amused by their business practices. And I'll win.

I always win. Because I know when I'm right and I document everything to prove it.

They really have no idea who they are dealing with.

8. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 12 2007, 05:18 PM) [snapback]511644[/snapback]</div>
    When I grow up, can I be you? :D

9. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 12 2007, 05:18 PM) [snapback]511644[/snapback]</div>
    When I grow up, can I be you? :D

10. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Any news?

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Time for an update.

Borrego Solar left a short message that the electrician would call me. This is the independant guy they contracted to update the service the first time. I like him.

Bill called and arranged to come over yesterday. He said Borrego wanted him to just put another panel on the back of the garage, put up some poles and string wires over my yard. (An idea I loathed.) He agreed with me. He is going to run the wires inside the garage at the peak and through conduit into my attic. Most of the conduit and wires he installed for the upgrade will remain but that will now become a much smaller junction box. The shut off will be removed completely and reinstalled on the garage.

All in all a much cleaner and more elegant fix.

Oh and Borrego Solar is paying for all of it.

I WIN.

Bill will be working on Sept. 29 and Oct. 3. By Oct 3 it should be done. Shortly after that I hope Ken passes it and I'll be up and running.

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow. these people deserve a good kick to the head! hope that last bit goes well and you can finally turn the panels on afterward.

13. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 22 2007, 05:21 PM) [snapback]516308[/snapback]</div>
    What a long story of incompetence.....

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbigh @ Sep 24 2007, 10:22 PM) [snapback]517235[/snapback]</div>

They're paying for it.

Not only are they picking up Bill the Electrician's bill for this latest move. But SDG&E can't schedule the shutoff until....Oct. 17. So they'll have to wait all that much longer to finally get paid.

It all could have been avoided with a little pre-planning and some honesty. Live and learn.

(In the meantime the gate I'm building is costing me $100.00. I accidentally grabbed redwood at Home Depot. Ah, well. It will be a really nice looking gate.)

So I'll report on the results after Oct. 17. Unless there's yet another delay.

15. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Incredible. I just paid a $1K deposit to go solar last week. Your experience gives me several red flags to look out for. Thanks for that. Mine's supposed to be installed in December.

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ Sep 27 2007, 03:09 AM) [snapback]518368[/snapback]</div>
    Read the entire thread and learn from me, grasshopper.

Pretend you're the contractor. Get your city inspector and utility out there before any work starts so you know up front what is required. Then make sure the solar people do what is required.

And if you signed with Borrego Solar.....cancel the contract and get your money back.

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've done it!

I'M UP AND RUNNING!

My meter is going backwards.

Borrego Solar paid for my meter and shutoff to be moved from the house to the garage corner specified by Sempra Energy.

I paid $100 for an SDG&E deadbolt for the gate and spent another $100 on wood to build a second gate. Built it myself.

Got an e-mail from the Sempra Energy guy 10 min. ago giving me an OK to turn it on and I did.

My meter is running backwards.

It's been a long haul. I signed the contract on July 3. They started work on August 5. It's now October 26 and I've finally received approval to turn it on.

Read back through the thread to learn of my ordeal.

And never, ever hire Borrego Solar.

18. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    wow, after all that!! Glad its up and running!! I cant wait to hear about your savings :) This is something I'd love to do (Living here in AZ) but DH isn't too thrilled on the start price. He says there's better things to spend that kinda $$ on. I'm still trying to figure out what...

19. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, what an ordeal but congrats on having it up and running! Thanks for the ongoing saga as well...better than a TV soap.

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    WOW... congratulations! about damn time too.