1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I've got a weird question for you

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by macreative, Sep 9, 2004.

1. macreative

macreative New Member

If I were to purchase the CoastalEtech speed sensitive auto door lock, could someone feasably walk up to my Prius outside at a stoplight and grab the door handle (SmartEntry) and the door would unlock?

I just thought about that... - If that would be possible than obviously, coastaletech's auto door lock feature would be completly useless. The switch just tells the computer to lock the doors over 15 MPH right? but It sounds that someone could still touch the handle to unlock the car (the fob would be inside with you anyhow) right?

[​IMG]

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no, the antenae sensors are highly directional and the fob needs to be outside the car for th doors to unlock.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ALRIGHT!
    An experiment! Sounds like a job for Mr. Wizard.
    I love these.

Lock yourself in the car with the fob and have someone - prefereably a friend - try to open the door to see if they can.

Don't have any friends? Try rolling the windows down, locking the fob inside and opening the door yourself. Mind you, this exercise should be done in a garage as to not make the neighbors think that you've locked yourself out of a car with the windows rolled down! :-D

If you want to test the speed-sensitive autolock, you can place the car in [N], lock it using the internal locks, and push it down a hill. When it comes to a stop, see if you can open the doors.

Ok, scratch that last one.