1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I've got problems with car

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by anestis, Oct 2, 2013.

1. anestis

anestis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    iam a taxi driver from greece, my prius gen 3 battery faild at 150000km and the other prius gen3 in my city batteryfaild between 130000 and 180000km. Gen2have 400000km with no problem..Can anyone tell me what is the problem, the cost is very big and all taxidriver we have seriously problem

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To cut a long story short, it appears the gen3 is no where near as hardy as the gen2.

I'm at 79,000 miles (127,000 km) and no problems with the battery but am on my 3rd steering motor and my 2nd inverter! The motors were fitted under warranty and the inverter was a discretionary payment from Toyota UK.

The subject of whether the gen3 Prius is suitable as a taxi has been discussed at length on here and also whether the European style of driving and roads has anything to do with it - narrow streets, start stop driving all the time, compared to the wide, long freeways in America. There are a number of posts from another Greek gen3 taxi driver suffering issues as well as one from the UK (not me). My car has been far from reliable having broken down twice. Even my Peugeot never did that!

I'd be curious how often you replaced your front brake pads to see if it matches my experiences.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The temperature in Greece possibly has a part in the shorter life span of the battery but it could also be combined with the much higher current drawn by the gen3 compared with the gen2. I am beginning to come to the conclusion that the gen 3 Prius was built down to a price rather than up to a standard.

John (Britprius)

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To compete with the new Insight at the time in 2009 (before that was found to be poor).

It was also no coincidence that the UK warranty on the gen3 was originally only 60,000 miles including the hybrid system!