1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I've seen more PiPs in one week than Volts in a year

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by cycledrum, Apr 24, 2012.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm seeing PiPs all over the place. Have I tallied the sightings? No. But instinct tells me quite reliably, I've seen more PiPs in the last week than I've seen Volts in the last year.

If any indication, PiP is going to smash Volt in sales within a couple to few months.

2. wmmmmm

wmmmmm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I finally saw a white PIP today (Walnut Creek Toyota). Interestingly, I don't see many Volts but it was within a few miles of where I saw a Volt. Volt or PIP, I would like to see popularity of electric or electric/hybrid cars take off.

1 person likes this.
  3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That would be nice. There are still probably just 2 here in Minnesota.

I plugged in mine at work today, walked a few steps, then a Volt drove by.

No Leaf sightings. I have seen a Tesla.

4. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In the wild, I see Leafs/Leaves the most. Followed by PiPs (mainly due to seeing 3 all in one day this past weekend). I've seen maybe 3 or 4 Volts.

5. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I've only seen 3 PiPs in the wild -- two in the parking lot at work and one at the NorCal PriusChat meetup this past weekend. I have yet to notice one on the road while driving although I've been looking.

Meanwhile, I'm finally seeing 1-2 Volts on the road when I do any substantial amount of driving. Usually I see about twice as many LEAFs as Volts. So, a typical round trip 80 mile total drive to San Francisco and back will often result in seeing 3-5 LEAFs, 1-2 Volts, and so far no PiPs.

Part of this may be that PiPs have more subtle visual cues. I know to look for the silver panel below the hatchback or on the door handles. I know to look for the right rear charge door. I also know the tail lights are different during the day but I haven't seen how distinguishable they are at night.

6. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    While at the Center for Renewable Energy this afternoon, I saw Plenty of different plug-ins. According to one of the people who works there, San Diego alone has at least 1900 plug ins of one sort or another! Still, out of several hundred thousand cars, the plug ins are a pretty small percentage of the total number of cars one might conceivably see in a day.

7. usdmattiphone

usdmattiphone Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Those stupid Cars-2-go plugin cars are like a virus here in San Diego, the other day i was out joyriding and every plugin spot i came across was filled with one of those little cars, even the Chargepoint station at the PB Mcdonalds.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Other than the PiPs I saw at our weekend meet and at Green Drive Expo last year, I have yet to see a PiP on the road anywhere.

Unfortunately, since they look just like 3rd gens w/a few minor differences, there might've been some around me w/o me realizing it or being able to see them.

So, I've seen WAY more Volts (which is not many) than PiPs so far.

9. jimm58

jimm58 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A guy pulled up next to me last night in Berkeley with the twin of mine...identical color. He still had dealer plates from Downtown Toyota (Oakland).

10. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The car2go cars are awesome and a great way to get people driving EV for very little cost. It costs nothing to sign up - then you can move a car if you want for like $0.35. Since you're going to get to charge for free, consider it your cost to charge. :p

Back on topic: Have only seen 1 PiP and it was while I was at the dealer. I've seen more iMiEVs and ActiveEs on the road, far more Volts, and many, many more LEAFs.

11. wke555

wke555 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen quite a few PIP's here in the South Bay, but Leafs definitely outnumber the Volts 5 to 1. I've seen just 3 Volts in the past 4 months: one on the freeway, another red one that pulled into the Walgreen's Chargepoint minutes before me (doh!), and the best was a brand new 2012 I passed while taking the HOV lane the day after the stickers arrived. :D He couldn't stop staring as I breezed by traffic.

12. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The only thing I see in NYC are regular prii. Have not seen a Leaf, nor a Volt, not even a V or a C or a PiP in the wild. And I do look.

13. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm actually surprised at the number of volts i've seen around (north oakland/berkeley). there's one in my neighborhood and i've seen a few more around town.

i think with the 2012 emissions cleaned up for HOV sticker eligibility, we'll probably see more volts around.

14. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Have not seen any other Pips in GA yet, although I know there are 2 coming.

I've seen 2 volts over last 6 months; 1 at a Ham Radio Festival and one in use by a medical courier service.

15. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't seen anything yet. I could be that I have seen a Volt or a Leaf but didn't know what they look like. The only other PiP I might see is John's.

16. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I may be the only PIP in NC. Don't expect to see many PIP's unless someone claims to have one in NC. How about it?:spy:

17. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

Well I've seen the other three PIP that I know of that live in my area ;) But other than that I've yet to see another PIP. I do see Volts once in awhile and maybe a Leaf every so often. I've even seen a couple of the new BMW, those are sort of hard to miss.

18. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Guess its a Cali thing.. Never seen a PiP or even Prius C.
    Here in the Springs, prius are relatively uncommon.

I'm trying to get them to have special hybrid/EV parking and figured a count might help So one day I counted in one campus parking lot I counted one day.. of about 480 cars there was 1 regular prius (with an engineer kit.. ), 1 Insight (original), and 1 Volt (mine). Do see more regular prius on the roads.. where I've see a leaf and another 2 volts (including one other in my neighborhood)

19. evfinder

evfinder Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So far I haven't seen a single PIP on the road which is surprising in West LA. I see Leafs the most, I see them most days. Then Volts, probably average about one per week. I've also seen BMW Active-e and Mitsubishi I on the roads around here.

Noel

20. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Around the SF Bay Area, it's common to see at least one Prius every block while driving city streets. It's not uncommon to see 2-3 of them stopped at the same traffic intersection.

I can remember the first months of the Gen I when owners would wave at each other upon seeing a rare elusive fellow Prius on the road. If you did that today you'd get a repetitive motion injury.