1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jack handle broke while turning the jack

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by twinprime, Apr 7, 2023.

1. twinprime

twinprime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Just thought I'd warn others after I had a very frustrating experience earlier this week. I had a flat and my hotel was about 1.5 miles from a tire shop so I decided to take the tire off the car and uber it to the shop. As I was taking the wheel off the car, the jack handle broke near the point that slides onto the wheel nut wrench. I assembled it exactly as shown in the manual in step 5 of "Replacing a tire" on page 623. As I was turning it like shown in step 6, the jack handle sheared right off. My already bad situation was made worse. Luckily I was able to get someone from the hotel staff to help me after. I've attached an image taken after it broke.

If anyone has any recommendations on a stronger jack handle I can purchase for the future, please let me know.

Attached Files:

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good thing toyota makes better cars than handles :p

personally, i'd buy a quality jack and handle. the oem jack is pretty shaky

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You must be very strong?

When I got my Gen2 a decade ago I used the jack to jack up a tree that fell over and bent that part real bad but didn't snap it...

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow! I've never seen that happen. Just for ease of use, I got a ratcheting handle. But I kept the original just in case the ratcheting one breaks.