1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jack@ss Tesla owner

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by utsug, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm all for locking your car, but I'd assume you know how long it takes to fill up and wouldn't leave your car locked to a charger after it was full.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I monitor my BMW i3-REx with a cell phone app and the Prius Prime with a timer. But a movie is a problem and that is a cell phone hostile venue. So too, medical offices and hospitals prefer to have cell phones off.

Bob Wilson

3. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you saying you are fine with an EV driver waiting for your movie to finish before plugging their car in? How long is acceptable, 30 minutes, 60 minutes?

Wouldn't it be common courtesy to not charge if you are going to be a while and cannot leave your plug unlocked?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

el Crucero likes this.
  4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    (beware - humor) is a lengthy movie the problem? - or is it a battery so small that it fills too fast.

do you take the same thoughtful consideration to the people at a restaurant, waiting for you to finish dinner? .... as your family leisurely eats their meal? ... followed by lots of nice conversation at the dinner table afterwards? .... quickly rush away from the table like a military chow hall - get back into formation?
    Maybe those impatient folk otta go find some other place to eat .... organize their life better - & quit trying to foist their unreasonable expectations on others

#44 hill, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    utsug and Prodigyplace like this.
  5. utsug

utsug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    FYI....my car was STILL charging when they pulled out the plug. Plus there are led indicators in the front that shows if its charging or not.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    some don't get the meaning of the blinkie lights, or the lack their of. The tesla port only shows colored lights (green, blue, red) if the fob is present. And the screen gives the car the option to throttle up/down its charge - from a measly 1kW , to nearly 20kW if the public charger can provide it. It's designed that way so poor circuits don't blow .... BUT ... some public Chargers $ock it to you when the EVSE senses no current draw (ie; full charge). If you have a 100 kwh traction pack, you could literally be charging for over 3 days & never incur an idle fee. Buuuaaahahahaaa.

#46 hill, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    From that reply, I would say the Tesla driver was there just for a freebie.

iplug likes this.
  8. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No, any paid station or non-free station.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you jumping the gun and prematurely putting words into his mouth?

10. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That and nearly every car has a different code.

If you as a casual driver have remembered all of these, then good for you. But I'd wager most don't.

The Tesla roadster pulses yellow when it's charging and goes to green when it's done. The Tesla S and X pulse green when charging and go to solid green when done. Both show nothing (even when charging) when the keyfob is away. Some firmware updates keep status on the interior instrument panel. Is it ok to peer inside a stranger's car trying to read the cluster to see if it is charging or not?

But what about the Chevy's? When they pulse green (or blink really) they are finished charging! When they are solid green, they are actually charging. This would be super confusing if you're a Tesla owner. Just like if you're a Chevy owner and happen upon a Tesla with a blinking green port "oh it's charged" but it is the exact opposite. This is why we need industry standards people!

The Nissans (and BMW I think) blink blue LEDs when charging and they go off when done charging. But the Leaf also blinks 1 blue LED when the remote climate is activated, even when not charging...

And the Mercedes B class doesn't even have indicators. None on the dash. None by the port. Absolutely no indicators at all. Who let that out of engineering?

I think it is a little silly to assume the general public, even those that own BEVs, know the above incomplete list above. I personally have no idea what a Ford or Honda charging indicator looks like let alone things like the Fiat or Smart type EVs.

utsug likes this.
  11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Chevy changed the light on the newer models, so it's solid green when charged.

12. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's even more confusing... Now you need to know make, model, AND generation/year to guess the magic decoder ring properly lol.

hill likes this.
  13. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Unless personal signage says ok to unplug, or some prior agreement with the driver, or one knows the vehicle is done charging by being an EV whiz or doing a quick google search, best to let charging vehicles alone.

14. utsug

utsug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    "Don't do unto others what you don't want others to do unto you."

15. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    But lots of people, myself included don't mind being unplugged by those that need it. And if I see a charged BEV and I need it, I'll change the plugs.

16. utsug

utsug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What if you're battery is really low and just started charging when somebody unplugged it to charge their vehicle. Then 1 hr later you came back to your car and finds out your car was not charge. Is this still okay with you?

17. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Goes back to reading the lights. But the Leaf will text me and I'll know immediately when it's unplugged. If I don't want to be unplugged, I set the lock to Auto

hill likes this.
  18. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    "Hands off" might be referring to the autopilot?

-------------------------------------------------------------

I propose a universal signal on all chargers:

RED: Do not interrupt charging! (Charge is desperately needed to reach next station.)
    YELLOW: Interrupt only in desperate need. (Interruption will cause environmental harm.)
    GREEN: Interruption allowed if needed. (Interruption is only inconvenient.)

19. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Trollbait likes this.
  20. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, I do, doesn't everybody? I don't gulp my food when people are waiting for a table, but I try not to dally over my glass of wine when I could easily enjoy it in the lounge area.

This is the reason I drive in the far right lane when going the speed limit. I try to be considerate and stay out of people's way who are going 10 to 25 miles over the speed limit. I also use the 'turnouts' on mountain roads to let the people behind me pass.

Consequently, I do not support the concept of free chargers. They often put people on their worst behavior, regardless of what brand of car they are driving.