1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jack@ss Tesla owner

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by utsug, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know how the Tesla charger plug looks or any specs of it, but maybe on Tesla Charger, the pins used for the Super Chargers are physically different from the pins used for the L2 charger? And my speculation is that the adaptor to J1722 makes physical connections to only the L2 pins??? That's my non-Tesla owner's wild guess.

BTW, are there any TeslaCharger to DCFast port adaptors such that the non-Tesla BEVs can use the Tesla supercharger at DCFast speed on the road?

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Heck, I've had some store's J plugs not work on our Chrysler Pacifica plug-in. The designs are typically such that they fail by "not" working as opposed to sending power. Even our high power Tesla to CHADEMO adapter would occasionally have to be flashed/updated to continue working - as various DC QC units' programming for whatever reason would get updated.
    It's a chicken and egg scenario. Tesla offers to open up to other manufacturers if they want to pay - but the problem is, last time I checked not of them want to be a part of another company's program period. Since superchargers are designed to send data of a vehicle's Vin, even if you built a perfect adapter, it still wouldn't work because the handshake wouldn't recognize the VIN. You would have to be able to hack your adapter so that your units VIN & GPS don't line up with a location of another working Tesla. The criminal activity would hardly be worth the labor hours.

#82 hill, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's the USA Tesla plug. It's the same for 240V AC and for the high speed DC chargers.
    Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 2.31.14 PM.png

It's kind of a long, complicated story that came about because Tesla couldn't wait on the rest of the world for finally agree on a standard. They needed something right away.
    https://thedriven.io/2018/10/10/tesla/

Merkey and Salamander_King like this.
  4. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Humm, So both L3 and L2 are using the same pins? Is the sensor mechanism that distinguishes high voltage DC vs 240v AC in the EVSE, or in the car?

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That I don't know. @hill can probably tell us. Seems to me, though, that it would be in the car since the EVSE would just deliver whatever power it's connected to.

Salamander_King likes this.
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Common sense is the easiest way to determine. Safest is best. Thus both have parts in the decision of how much power to send or not at all

The handshake is mutual. Your plugin has to say it can receive high power, & how much, & the appliance itself has to acknowledge that it has as much or little as the vehicle wants - then the 2 agree how much power to send/receive.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. So, the Tesla's L2 destination chargers do not check on the VIN? Otherwise, above mentioned adaptor for the Tesla L2 destination charger to a J1772 port of non-Tesla EV (PP included) would not work.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Correct
    The other fun fact with the high power Tesla wall charger (HPWC) IS that it can be derated to a measly 1.2kW all the way up to over 19 KW/ 80 amps.
    How to tick off a plug-in owner;
    Program your hotels' evse to painfully slow charging speeds. I've only found that to happen at a couple locations fortunately. It's likely they do that to discourage the freeloaders so Hotel guests will have access.

#88 hill, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    jerrymildred and Salamander_King like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  10. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To reduce the world's consumption in support of the EU vs Putin. Especially if you are in a place for hours anyway (overnight, tourist location, etc)

No. At least without some hack to disable the VIN check that connects to your credit card on file.

Mike

Salamander_King likes this.
  11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    if yer X or S was built 5 or more years ago - you didn't even have to have a credit card on file. Refills were freeeeeeeee!

chadmo2017-11-08.jpg

Sure made interstate travel a whole lot more enjoyable. And yes - I got mocked a few times about the bumper sticker.

3PriusMike, jerrymildred and Merkey like this.
  12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The incentives for building chargers will overwhelm that resentment eventually.