1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jack stands which fit well? Alternate jack stand position?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pasadena_commut, Feb 19, 2023.

1. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know jack stands are supposed to go in the same place as the manufacturer supplied jack (just behind the front wheels, at the built up part of the pinch weld). Problem is, neither of the two sets of jack stands currently available to me fit there. The first is a pair of 3000 lb stands. They have a fairly deep V shaped groove into which the built up weld would fit, but the rest of the head of the stand is too wide, and that V groove is too deep. So the weight lands on neighboring metal, but not on the weld. The other pair is a 2000 lb. set. The heads are smaller, and they don't fit all that well either. Conversely, the jack that came with the car, and one from an old Accord, fit perfectly. They have a square groove and a fairly narrow head, so that the weight is on the head, and maybe a bit to each side, but not 2 inches out, as with the 3000 lb. stands.

Do any of you have jack stands that fit well on the pinch groove location? If so, what brand/model are they?

Anybody ever tried these adapters?

(URL won't paste, remove spaces in text below)
    "https ://http://www.amazon.com/ Jack-Pad-Adapter-Stands-Universal/dp/ B091FZ2Q11"

The last time the car was jacked up I put the bigger stands under the large first bottom bolt out from each front wheel. The floor jack was still in place too, so the stands were only taking a little bit of the weight. There must be some other safe place to put them. The floor jack goes in the center of the sort of butterfly shaped piece of metal which goes wheel to wheel. But I wouldn't feel very good about putting a stand under that off to one side, as it is flat, so there is no mechanical "fit" to keep the jack stand from sliding around.

#1 pasadena_commut, Feb 19, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is where I'm placing jackstands on our 3rd gen. I've used these points countless tiimes (oil changes twice yearly, and tire swaps twice yearly, for 12 years, for starters), no problems, and very solid/stable.

I got the idea for front jackstand locations from "hobbit" who was a contributor here, to the best of my recollection, and he was doing this on a 2nd gen. So for the front at least, it'll for sure work well.

For ID'ing when you're looking at the underneath: the front points are near the ends of longitudinal rails formed on the bodywork, heavy gauge. The rear points are also have gauge, in vicinity of the reinforced slotted holes (typically with plugs in them), that are used for some sort of locking pins during shipping, I think.

My jackstands have conventional cradles, cup around the bearing point nicely.

upload_2023-2-19_16-42-3.jpeg

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used to accidentally bend and twist those jack points with my floor jack all the time and then I had enough of it and built this. Jacking up a car is way easier and probably a little safer with it too:

PXL_20220718_061717926.NIGHT.jpg

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That still leaves the question of "where do I put the jackstands?" unanswered though.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh... Once you get the car jacked up high enough in the air the jack stands have lots of locations they can go. I usually put the them under the lower control arms up front or rear wheel axle as close to the wheels as possible.

6. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I just place hockey pucks on my hydraulic jack and jack stands. Hard rubber, no damage to lift/pinch points.

Doug McC likes this.
  7. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Gen 2 Prius jacking points.jpg Hyper Tough mid.jpg removed on top of drilled stand.jpg on car.jpg

#7 Georgina Rudkus, Feb 20, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
  8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    He he not even going they're. My newer jacks on the lifting hubs have a rubber pad already built into that so I jacked the car up leave the jack under the car seated on the rubber pad and then slide the jack stand under the car so that if it falls it won't fall on me usually I'm using two jacks jacking up the car under the door jamb between the back and the front doors I can't remember the name of that part on the car so that I can pick up the front and the back wheel on each side of the car usually I'm changing rotating tires or doing brakes when this is going on not changing the oil. I put a jack stand on the front somewhere near the picture here and I put a jack stand on the opposite side in the rear similar to what's pictured here My actual live jacks stay at the center post area and all four wheels are off the ground now I rotate the wheels do the brakes whatever I want to do and that's that. I also have a four poster lift here but that takes longer to swing the arms out place everything and lift the car up then the two jack stands and the two jacks and if I don't need to be standing up under the car what's the point

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It used to take a long time on older Toyota's to bend or fubar the weld points on the rocker panels where the jack points are and today's era these things been the first time you jack the car up almost testament to thin metal I guess so now you have to fab up and buy all these jigs and fixtures just to jack your car up funny how the crappy Toyota jack has just the right notch in it to lift the car up of course I've never had that out of the trunk in my life.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I used that once i(n a parking lot with a flat). It has a slot in the cradle that just cups around the lower "edge", and the support point is actually inboard; none of the load bears on the bottom of that edge. My use was on a (lighter weight) rear corner, and even there the sheet metal dimpled in slightly.