1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jacking up to change tires?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Phil_T, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Phil_T

Phil_T Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I just bought a floor jack to change my tires, and I have a few questions:

- I found the jack point in the rear, but by the time my jack reached its maximum lift, the tires were not off the ground. Is this because I'm not in the right spot, or because my jack is too small. I'm using a basic 2 ton floor jack meant for small/mid-size cars. Could I add a piece of 2x4 to get that extra lift?

- Is it possible that the car's clearance is too low to use jack stands? I was missing a good 2" to slip those under

- How far in is the front jack spot? From the manual it would seem as though it's right in the front, but looking under the car I couldn't see past some kind of plastic housing

- What size are the lugnuts? I only had a 19mm socket snd it was too small

- Any other piece of advice for changing tires on the Prius C, or advice about lifting this car I should be aware of?

Thanks so much for any help!

michael.sfo likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can add several 2x4's no problem. there should be a lug wrench with the car. put a breaker bar on it if necessary.
    loose the nuts before lifting the tire off the ground

KennyGS likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure about the c's rear jacking point, but on our 3rd gen it's up pretty high. I'm using a 3 ton jack, unloaded at full height the stock cradle's about 20" off the floor. When I need max lift, I supplement that, by putting a 3/4" plywood "washer" under the cradle, a square block of 2x4 on the flat in the cradle, and a hockey puck atop that. Normally I just use a rubberized substitute cradle, because I don't need to get it that high.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I lifted mine earlier today. I easily found the familiar pinch-weld notches at the corners of the floor pan. I have a hockey puck on the saddle of my hydraulic floor jack, it nicely picks up a car sill point like that.

The only thing I thought was different was that the sill points were further inboard than I have found them on other cars.