1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jaguar I-Pace by Tesla Owner

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Jul 8, 2018.

1. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hybrids are better than nothing, but they aren't OK when there are now viable alternatives.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Great minds may disagree. Some might only be able to afford a 14mpg $400 1972 Olds, running on 7 cylinders. Ie; no alternatives - not even a bike, not even public transportation. We all do what we gotta do - hopefully w/out being condeming.

#42 hill, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    markabele likes this.
  3. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Cutting down from 4 packs a day smoking to 3 packs is still damaging to everyone's health, so yeah it is condemning. It's better than nothing but still not OK when it comes to MY health. People do what they gotta do, but don't let it be at MY expense.

Visited my SIL yesterday, who was a heavy smoker. That habit (she was just doing what she gotta do) put her in the hospital with cancer for two weeks last year. The doctor took her cigarettes away from her, for good, and put her on a new experimental drug (not FDA approved). The good news is that there is some indication the drug is working - the bad news is that all her head hair has fallen out and under the BEST CASE scenario, her life has been extended by maybe 5 years.

I am damn mad at people justifying "doing what they gotta do." We have viable alternatives for ICE for personal transportation AT ALL PRICE POINTS. Too many people don't take global warming and climate change seriously. I will not stand idly by and pat them on the back for doing what they gotta do. Yeah, driving a hybrid is better than nothing, but I am not going to congratulate them for it. Toyota is part of the problem. They could be building one heck of of a mass market BEV, at a relatively low cost, with better than average reliability. They apparently refuse to do it. They are still building vehicles that are ICE dependent to some extent. They are just doing what they gotta do.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Comparing someone who volitionally takes recreational drugs or smokes - to a poor person, who just barely gets by with minimum Transportation junkers is not only a poor excuse for being judgemental, it's irrelevant.

markabele and VFerdman like this.
  5. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Would you be so kind as to give me an EV alternative that costs $3,400 and gets equivalent of 50mpg and has 400 mile range? It can be used, but has to be reliable.

6. t_newt

t_newt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Googling about the I-Pace, I learned something new. One of the largest car design/manufacturing companies with several factories is a relatively unknown contract company called Magna Steyr. They've designed and built BMWs, Toyotas, Mercedes Benzes, and the I-Pace

7. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Steyr-Daimler-Puch

Mopeds.

8. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    An ambulance to the hospital. Depending on locale, under $500 for the ride.

9. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for the intelligent and informative reply.

10. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Being poor is a condition that is growing in the US as a result of, for example, giving tax breaks to the richest 1% in the US. Those tax breaks could be better used to assist those below the poverty level through free education and subsidizing clean air automobile purchases. There are alternatives. I am willing to spend a few hundred (or thousand) more a year in taxes to provide subsidies for poor people to drive alternative fuel vehicles. It will be cheaper than paying for increased health care as a result of respiratory diseases.

Yes, I will be judgmental of a system that promotes the use of ICE vehicles and that is completely relevant to MY health and well being, and yours, and everyone's.

11. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    And my point goes completely over your head.

12. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your point is getting worn blunt from over-use. It did not go over my head, I simply called you out on an unrealistic, oversimplified statement you made:

tpenny67 likes this.
  13. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    @el Crucero sounds like you just need to go live somewhere away from all other people since we are all so impeding to your life and lifestyle

William Redoubt likes this.
  14. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    As I have stated on this forum before, my daughter got a $50/mo. lease on a Fiat 500e - no mo gas, no mo oil changes, no mo stealerships, and lower insurance/registration costs.

Your refusal to consider alternatives is getting worn blunt from over-use

15. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    How many cannonball runs will it take for the hybrid to cost more than the EV given the initial purchase price cost differences of the two cars? I fly those distances.

I ask this fully conscious of the spreadsheet I built justifying my hybrid purchase when gas was $4 or so a gallon. I could have kept the CRV and its much poorer gas mileage and been ahead today had I predicted the lower price of gas over the next 6 years. But the real reasons I bought the hybrid were because it was both different and green. Sometimes emotions come into play.

I look at the costs of two cars and I factor in what else I could do with the money difference and my expected return on that difference if invested. Yes I've owned $70k+ cars but bought used at $26k. Let someone else pay for the first few years of big depreciation. The same car would cost $90k+ for the current model. And I could buy it, but won't. Unless it strikes a chord within my soul.

16. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, this is the old "Love it or Leave It" philosophy I experienced in the 1960"s about the Viet Nam war. "Hot damn Viet Nam, HELL NO. I WON'T GO!" and I didn't. I believe in service to country but not in Viet Nam. I served my country for two years in an alternative service rather than flee to Canada. Now tell me, what "armed conflict" did you serve in?

No, I will not be intimidated, bullied, or coerced into leaving my homeland just because someone doesn't like the message.

17. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Often - the thing about expressing the, "you just don't know as much as me ...." attitude, one finds karma comes into play .... it has a way of coming back on you.
    Consider for instance, Pippa Bacca .....

[​IMG]

and good luck with all that "i'm right" thing .... because that kind of 'rightness' makes people want to burn their EV's & PV - just so they won't be associated with such perfect people.

Trollbait likes this.
  19. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, hurting the cause more than helping it. But I'm done listening to his garbage. Ignored.

It's funny that he even turns off the most ardent EV fans, can't imagine what he is doing to others. Without a doubt doing more harm to the environment than helping it.

Zythryn and Lucifer like this.
  20. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When you can't mount a coherent counter-argument, engage in an ad hominem attack.

People can burn their hybrids and ICEV in a right of self destruction, and they may try to take away my 1st Amendment rights, and they may try to damage my right to good health by contributing to further polluting the environment...............but I am right to express my right to protect my rights.