1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jalopnik can't get over a Tesla in space

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Mar 2, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is seriously funny:
    Bacteria Is Why The Space Tesla Could Really Mess Up A Planet (If It Ever Hits A Planet)

. . .
    Musk shot a Tesla Roadster into orbit on a SpaceX rocket with a dummy named “Starman” in the driver’s seat last month, showing the car on a live stream for a few hours before it was left to float alone in the void for many, many years. But the car could go down in history for a lot more than just its highly public space launch, although not anywhere close to during our lifetimes.

If the Roadster wasn’t sterilized before SpaceX launched it, scientists at Purdue said Musk’s car could turn harmful if it crashes into a planet like Mars. That would make the car’s “Don’t panic!” message on the infotainment screen more relevant than we thought, if microscopic living organisms could read.
    . . .
    Because of that, Jalopnik asked the scientists from the Purdue piece what would happen if the car hit Venus or Earth—particularly if some kind of disaster had wiped out Earth’s population. Melosh told Jalopnik in an email Earth bacteria couldn’t survive on Venus due to it being nearly 900 degrees Fahrenheit.
    . . .
    The potential for the Roadster to hit Earth one day is higher, and also a lot more interesting. Melosh said the idea that life on Earth could be reseeded from space “has already been vetted by several people,” and that if unsterilized, the car could help the process if life has been wiped out to a degree by the time it hits.
    . . .

[​IMG]
    Yes, I know this was a movie but still amusing to consider in light of the spaceship Tesla.

Bob Wilson

#1 bwilson4web, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  2. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Most of that article (and the responses) ignored the "burn up in the atmosphere" aspect of re-entry, regardless of planet. Of course, Mars has the thinnest atmosphere as compared to Earth and Venus, so the vehicle could conceivably make it to the surface somewhat intact, or at least in sizable chunks...THEN the trouble starts... ;)

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good thing our Sun never sends out coronal masses that would promptly adjust most organics. This includes proposed astronauts visiting places beyond the Van Allen belt:
    How Radiation in Space Poses a Threat to Human Exploration (Infographic)

Won't happen again in a million years so the Tesla critters are safe.

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Excuse my ignorance, but....

It's orbiting Mars.
    Explain to me how it would hit either Venus or Earth? Assuming the bacteria didn't figure out how to fire the Tesla up, and take a joy ride towards the Big Blue Marble.

If we manage to destroy ourselves on planet earth, and life on earth got reseeded by a Tesla, and our own surviving mutated bacteria, I'd' call that ironic.

But I still don't get the concern over what would happen if the vehicle hit Venus or Earth. It's in Mars orbit...wouldn't hitting Venus or Earth be an impossibility?

RCO likes this.
  5. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
  6. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    mrz021918-color-1-8_1_orig.jpg

RCO likes this.
  7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    What we know about microbes surviving in space comes from ISS experiments. They were within Van Allen belts and thus did not experience charged particle fluxes as high as way out yonder.

Those done in 2008 and 2009 were at bottom of a solar cycle. Those in 2014 and 2015 were at a top (but not a very high top). This would at least mean different UV exposures, but I don't think this was part of experimental design.

We'll know a lot more after Mars round tripping starts. Moon is much closer and I think interesting because each month it goes in and out of Van Allen belts. Also some asteroid will get closely examined (sooner or later) and this could include microbial or biochemical work.

All that is lots of fun. But mostly missing the point I fear. Think of an exponential decay with a very long tail. Very very long and tiny tail. If Panspermia happens, whether on broad or 'local' scales, it will be from a long and tiny tail of a decaying survival curve.

A human life, and probably the evolutionary 'life' of human species, are of wrong scales to undertake such experiments. Clever observations of whatever's out there are the only way to address such questions.

8. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, got lazy reading, and was remembering an earlier thread which seemed to suggest the idea was to put a Tesla in orbit around Mars.

I suppose I still have to file this under " Interesting, but I'm not going to worry too much about it".

RCO likes this.
  9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting that this came from a University......sadly, one from my home state!!!

The only bio hazard that threatens the red planet might indeed come from Space-X, but I do not think that Elon's roadster will be the delivery....vehicle.

RCO likes this.
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even at the Earth, 'burning up' is not assured. While most do so, portions of some make it all the way to the surface, daily.

From long ago astronomy books, I seem to remember that observations of fresh falls had sometimes found them coated with ice or frost, from internal cold. They did have a fusion outer crust, but apparently didn't spend enough time burning in the atmosphere for that to heat all the way through. They landed as a 'Baked Alaska' -- scorched outer crust, icy interior. That internal cold was enough for terrestrial moisture to condense and freeze on it after impact.

I must take this as evidence that sterilization by Earth reentry is not assured, even if it is the norm. OTOH, Venus' atmosphere's temperature and sulfuric acid content alone should sterilize any currently known Earthly critters, even without the heat of entry.

RCO and RRxing like this.
  11. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I still like the delicious irony and idea, that mankind could destroy themselves on this planet, primarily through poor ecological stewardship of the planet, but that life on earth could end up being reseeded by a returning Tesla, shot into space as "space junk".

It's just the type of joke the universe likes to play on itself.

RCO likes this.
  12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed.
    The potter's hand....guided in this case by mirth.....

RCO likes this.