1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jalopnik: Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by bwilson4web, Jan 10, 2017.

1. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    You should have enough time at each location to take a photo and mark the spot with some urine.
    Labelling you a corner case is an under statement.

2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No, that's totally doable. We did the Museum of Science and Industry for 5 1/2 hours in Chicago one day, the US Air Force museum in Dayton Ohio the next day (all four buildings), and a family reunion in Kansas City the next day.

3. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I need to edit my previous post, I mentioned that I believe most people will find it too much of a hassle to have to use apps and websites to find charging stations. I'm not saying I find it difficult, again I was talking about how I think most people will see this. The needed edit is that besides consulting apps and maps, someone making a trip apparently also has to ahead of time communicate with other owners including owners in the local areas. And that would mean all of the local areas that they will be travelling through. I'm sure the adventurers will actually enjoy that interaction, and more power to them (no pun intended). But that is a fraction of the population in my opinion that would even consider making a trip that requires that much research to avoid being stranded without power.

#123 Since2002, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    KrPtNk likes this.
  4. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    This is very locale dependent, and it improves by the year if not by the month. The coasts are much further along in charging infrastructure than fly-over country.

You can have a glass half-empty attitude like Jay, or you can be a happy upcoming EV owner like me who, despite living in the middle of no-where is not inconvenienced by EV ownership at all for 270 degrees of freedom and only mildly inconvenienced if I want to drive over the mountains Eastward.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Plug ins are still a relatively new thing to the public. We didn't have thousands of gas stations when the Model T went on sale, but they came along. The same will happen chargers for BEVs They only have to work for some people at first, and then more can join in on the fun later.

Plug ins are selling at the same rate that personal diesels did at their peak, and that is growing.

bhtooefr and KrPtNk like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the trouble with gassers was, you couldn't fill up at home.

Trollbait likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The first gas cars weren't too picky about fuel though, and what became gasoline was available at the local hardware/general store as a degreaser/cleaner.