1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Japan hit by 8.9 earthquake w/tsunami

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Trebuchet, Mar 11, 2011.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yet another quake in Japan today, at 2223 GMT. The 6.5 magnitude quake happened about 100km off the coast of Sendai, and triggered a local tsunami warning that was later lifted.

1 person likes this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It must be a decay chain product. This isotope decays so fast that a clump the mass of the earth would decay to a single atom in under a week.

USGS map and list of the aftershocks of the past 7 days. Both looked much nastier in the first week.

1 person likes this.
  3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My mistake. I knew it was minutes, but my fingers typed hours. Perhaps it was a spontaneous decay inside my head.

:rolleyes:

Tom

1 person likes this.
  4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    fuzzy1, knowing the aftershocks would fall off that list after 7 days, I have been downloading and updating the list. I know that older info would be available from USGS on request, but simpler to just create a file.

This info will also end up in the Tohoku wiki page eventually.

What I find amazing (even though there is a theory about it named after somebody) is that if you take all the 4.5+ aftershocks (about 770 so far) and put them in rank order. Draw a log regression through the points and the R^2 is nearly 0.8. Dang, there are amazingly few natural processes that fit simple relationships so well.

The IAEA is many hours away from updating I think (link in my previous post). They don't say yet that any reactor pressure vessels have been breached. Best to get that info from them vs. my guesses. But I don't like the wy the last 24hrs have gone...

Some other news media (forgot which) said that an outside company was being brought in to test for soil contamination by plutonium. That could only come from the MOx rods in reactor 3, or from those stored in the R3 pool.

1 person likes this.
  5. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    NSC did not update the map since then.
    But, we can see following type of map and data updated daily by MEXT.

Ken@Japan

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I saw another video containing this clip:

I'm guessing the driver survived, as the caption claims. If so, he's very lucky.

2 people like this.
  7. WytHot

WytHot Liz & John - 2010 Prii owners

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow. :eek:

1 person likes this.
  8. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Unfortunately, the above video is gone now. :/

However, it looks like this is the another copy.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b-2iByqHVI"]YouTube - Tsunami ravaging Kesennuma port[/ame]
    Can anyone translate what the announcer is saying?

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/explained-radioactivity-0328.html has an article about the different units we've been hearing. I can't vouch for its accuracy though as this is definitely not my area of expertise.

1 person likes this.
  10. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah, although I don't speak Japanese if it were me I'm pretty sure there would be a whole lot of expletives we shan't repeat here . . . :fear: :rant: :fear:

Close enough?

1 person likes this.
  11. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Basically its a warning from Kesenuma City telling everyone that a big tsunami warning has been issued and those near the coast should evacuate to higher ground immediately.

2 people like this.
  12. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  13. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    That condition is not so much different than the conditions of the fuel rods in the spent fuel pools.....a massive mess of intensely contaminated fuel debris resting on a concrete slab. The only variable is how much water is covering it and how much is leaking downstream to the ocean.

Unfortunately, the mess is getting worse by the lack of a national response lead by someone that knows what to do. TEPCO can only bring limited utility resources and what is needed is national resources. Blaming TEPCO is not a response, it's destructive dithering and that is all I am seeing happening.

Here is what should be happening:
    1) A full fledged monitoring and evaluation task force equipped to determine what is the actual conditions in every component. All kinds of robotic cameras should have been deployed now.....just like all the cameras on the BP well head. Additionally, all kinds of robotically mounted radiation monitors should be deployed in parallel. To be in the dark as to the actual conditions at this phase is inexcusable.
    2) A contamination collection site(s) identified. If all the contamination is to stored locally, then say so. If not, a lot of infrastructure work could already be started for storing the differing levels of contaminated material.
    3) Contamination removal paths and infrastructure efforts need to start. Special trucks and/or ships-barges are needed for transporting the packaged contamination to the processing/disposal location.
    4) Environmental Monitoring Stations and checkpoints established around the site. Something that can be double checked and updated repeatedly.

1 person likes this.
  14. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  15. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    US sending robots to Japan to help nuclear plant - FoxNews.com

2 people like this.
  16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    At Fukushima, the current crisis seems to be no space to store hot (and/or "hot") wter tha has been keeping the pressure vessels and rod storage pools cool. Or if not cool, then not as hot as they would be otherwise.

I have no good idea, but would first look for the nearest topography that is >14 meters above sea level. Build something there - what, a million gallons? Build it fast and strong. By the 3-factor rule that would exclude 'cheap'.

If melted core is (or later gets) outside the pressure vessels, the concrete structures beneath are going to hold. At least that is how it seems to me. But they may well be water permeable. Fixing that is not going to be cheap either, but there it is.

Darn lucky, in retrospect, that all 6 reactors were not online for the quake/tsunami. As I understand it, it is normal ops to run all 6.

Meanwhile the reconstruction effort elsewhere in Japan has barely begun.

1 person likes this.
  17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    At Three Mile Island they solved that problem by dumping 40,000 gallons into the river. They may end up doing something like that in Japan.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The water releases to the sea thus far have all been unintentional. But they have not been insignificant.

1 person likes this.
  19. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Entombment is now a possibility...

1 person likes this.
  20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Entombment is the simpler possibility, after the 'hot' water is dealt with. I suppose that they would only move the fuel rods & melted rods (corium) to another place, if there was a good way to reprocess them (which I don't know), or if concluding that the Fukushima site is seismic/tsunami unsuitable for entombment. Such a tomb is no good if it just gets busted open later. There is a large inventory of long half life isotopes on site. The unmelted ones seem the most likely to be moved.

1 person likes this.