1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Japan made PIAA horn...JDM quality and half the price...

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Mike500, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I purchased these PIAA horns off of Amazon.com and installed them this morning....I am impressed.

There are two horns, not one. One is 400Hz and the other one is 500Hz.

PIAA | Automotive Sports Horn (400/500Hz) #85110

The are exact fits on the mounts as the OEM horns and use the same bolts. A 1/4 inch drive ratchet and a 12mm socket is needed to remove and install the bolt. They came with grounding leads with ring spade lugs that mounted readily under the existing M6 bolts on the radiator supports. All you need is a 10mm socket.

The two wiring harness leads are too short to connect the horns. Two wire tie mounts hold the harness to the aluminum bumper reinforcement. You can cut off the ties and use the OEM harness to connect the horns, but I chose not to. I prefer NOT to cut off the OEM connector blocks.

I made two pigtail extensions out of 18 gauge black primary wire, 5 inches long. One end needs a 1/4 inch wide exposed male quick disconnect. The other end needs an insulated female 1/4 inch quick disconnect terminal. Since I used 18 gauge wire, I used the red coded ones.

The exposed male connector slides into the OEM horn connector perfectly. The female one clips easily onto the positive terminal of each horn.

The horns how have a weather shield on the apertures.

Best thing to my surprise is that they appear to be very high quality and Made in Japan.

Also nice is that they need no modification to the horn relay or circuit.

I know that others have posted information on the horn install, but the information that I am providing has been missing from an extensive search of all OLD threads.

mpescatori, Cristino and ftl like this.
  2. toyopri808

toyopri808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    awesome! thanks for sharing the link!

Mike500 likes this.
  3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Remind us what the point of these horns is? Just replacement or is there some advantage?

Thanks for sharing.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't know what the v horn sound like, but in the hatchback, they replace the pathetic meep meep factory horns.

SCH-I535

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The horns in the "v" are the exact same ones on the hatchback.

I wanted to add the details on the wrench hex sizes and the wiring, so the next buyer can be ready for the install.

Now, my "v" sounds like a large car.

6. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW you can get the same horns from Amazon for a lot less. Currently $46.

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That's exactly where I got mine. Just read the reviews. They are great horns. And, thy fit perfectly. The mounting holes and width o the brackets are the same size as the OEM horns. The clearance is perfect. I'm not sure if the ones from Japan that Toyota makes includes the extension cables. Since I've worked with electrical connectors on cars for nearly 50 years, the "pigtails" were easy to make. If I wanted to cut the hold downs on the harness, the "pigtails" may not be needed.

8. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I just did this install as well. Only change I'd suggest is to ground the horns on the mounting bolt itself. Just cut the supplied ground straps to 3-4 inches and add a loop connector of the appropriate size for the bolt.

Also, both horns need to be bent back just a bit to avoid rubbing on the back side of the plastic grill.

Mike500 likes this.
  9. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    [quote="rdgrimes, post: 1912950, member: 113341"Also, both horns need to be bent back just a bit to avoid rubbing on the back side of the plastic grill.[/quote]

I placed the horns so that the apertures were towards the centerline of the car rather than the way they were shown in the instructions, so the horns did not rub on the grill, and I did not have to bend the horns' brackets.

10. JasonW

JasonW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First thing I did was replace the horns on my V. Very simple and easy. Same brackets were used, even the same wrench. They literally just replaced the old ones. No need to cut the wires, just slide them onto the new horns. Only difference is that they don't lock into them. I used a zip tie to secure the plug socket on the horn, just to make sure they don't ever slip off.

I did need to bend the bracket just a little to make sure that the horns didn't rub against the grill. But all that means is just pushing on the horn a little (which bends the bracket).

I just couldn't handle the wimpy little 'meep meep' sound.

I used the FIAMM 72102, and the FIAMM 72012 (ordered from Amazon). A much more loud and manly sound.

11. lakesbutta

lakesbutta New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does anyone know how I can run a speaker cable from the engine compartment to the interior of the car without hurting or having to disassemble the car? I bought a police siren and want to mount the amplifier it in my 2013 Prius 3. Its a lease and I want to be able to take out the equipment after 3 years.

12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, look at the directions for the OEM foglight installation in the stickied thread in the gen3 hatchback accessories and modifications forum. There is a grommet that goes through the firewall near the brake pedal.

SCH-I535

13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  14. 1Prius4u2NV

1Prius4u2NV New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    that video proves thats going to be a lot horn for small car.

15. mpescatori

mpescatori New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    this is my first post after the duly introduction :)

I live in Europe and have a Toyota Auris, I too have the "meepmeep" horn :(

I disassembled a Wolo Bad Boy (aka Wolo Mad Max) off my old car (old VW Gold with plenty of space)
    Does anyone know if a Bad Boy/Mad max will fit ? It is a rather biggish, single assembly.