1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Japanese 2010 Prius information

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ken1784, Mar 11, 2009.

1. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,
    Following is the Japanese 2010 Prius information as of today.

We'll have six packages as follows;

• L: base, 185/65R15, no audio, door mirrors with side turn lamp, driver door only SKS
    • S: 195/65R15, front fog lamps, CD+AM/FM audio, rear wiper
    • G: 195/65R15, CC, foot lamp, driver/passenger/back door SKS, leather steering wheel
    • S Touring: 215/45R17, tuned suspension, LED head
    • G Touring: 215/45R17, tuned suspension, LED head
    • G Touring leather: 215/45R17, leather seat with heater, HDD Navi, rader CC+pre-crash-safety
    The factory options are as follows;

• moon roof with solar panel for "S" or "G" only
    • high grade HDD Navi with HUD for "G Touring leather" only
    • rader CC+pre-crash-safety for "G" or "G Touring" only
    Also, following is some chart from sales staff manual found on internet. :)

• bsfc comparison
    • exhaust heat recovery system(EHRS) effect
    • head lamp life comparison (FYI: LED lamp power consumption is 37.4W)
    • FE comparison vs Honda IMA
    Enjoy,
    Ken@Japan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nice info thx

led : 37.4 wats for the 2 or 1 led?

a base version without audio..... ok.. can you place a aftermarket radio into the pruis or do you need to cut stuff to do that.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Even at 1, considering the low beam halogen is 55w, that's an "improvement". What do the HID's draw per on Gen II?

4. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 37.4W is for single unit number.
    The staff manual also says it consumes 17% less power than HID(45W).

Ken@Japan

5. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm wondering if the "tuned suspension" for 17" wheels is something different for Japan, or if that is also true for the U.S.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like the moonroof is available on the 15" wheel models only, just like the US.

I, too, am curious about the tuned suspension. Does Japan have a separate standard suspension setting that the US doesn't get?

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you Ken.

It is quite amazing to see bsfc at low loads of < 20 kW better in the 1.8L than the 1.5L ICE. Is this the beauty of EGR, or another engineering feat at play ?

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow, this 1.8L ICE is very efficient. It doesn't look like it suffers from pumping loss at the low 10kW. In fact, it is more efficient than the 1.5L.

LED lights are expected to last at least 15 years. What is the slope in that graph? I am guessing it is the brightness.

The last graph is my favorite. HSD kicking IMA butt at all speed. 1.8L engine is more fuel efficient than 1.3L even on the highway. I wonder how the rest of the speed (63-100mph) looks like.

I bet it will be the 2010 Internal Engine of the Year.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I think it's how the lights degrade over time (or how well they stay bright).

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Generally LEDs "fail" by getting too dim. The actual metrics vary, but many vendors use half brightness as the end of useful life.

Tom

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That last graph comparing the new Prius to the IMA has me scratching my head a bit. Both curves are lower than I am expecting. E.g., at 100 kph the Prius is consuming about one liter/20 km, or 48 US mpg. It might be a case of just looking at the differences rather than the absolute numbers. Maybe it was really cold that day .. or snowing.

12. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    These are dyno data, nothing related to real live driving.

13. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    I concur.

I know the IMA platform in good enough detail to know what I am looking at. This graph ain't it, and I simply cannot relate to it at all.

What we know for a fact is that the Civic's IMA weirdly peaks at 34.4 Km/L at 35-45 km/h, and 32.24 Km/L at 75-100 km. However brief, these peaks are so characteristic that you simply cannot miss them... especially on the speed ranges depicted.

Cheers;

MSantos

14. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you saying the 15inch suspension setting is same as the 16inch Touring suspension in the US?

Anyway, I've heard the suspension settings for JP/NA/EU models are all different to meet the market needs.

Ken@Japan

15. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe following area improves the efficiency;

• cooled EGR
    • exhaust heat recovery system
    • electric water pump (no belt at all)
    • roller rocker arm
    • other small efforts
    The current 1NZ-FXE engine is more than 11 years old.
    The new 2ZR-FXE engine is modern design one based on 2ZR-FE.
    TOYOTA: Company > Technology

Ken@Japan

16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its interesting to note that 2ZR-FE has dual VVT-i while 2ZR-FXE only has intake-side VVT-i.

Ken, I am very impressed by the various Prius documents that you have found and shared with the group. Maybe English-language versions will eventually end up in the 2010 NCF manual. Thanks so much for being part of PriusChat!

17. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

The hazy snaps looks suspiciously like its referring to earlier HSD design?
    Note the doc stated "THS II" instead of the current branding used.

Also the Prius consumption spectrum look no better than some non-hybrid Toyota 1.8 vehicles.

E.g
    I can easily get stable >25km/l cruising at 80kph in Toyota Wish minivan running on good-old 1.8l 1ZZ-FE, which the 2ZR-FE is replacing.

I supposed hybrid or not or with a slippery CD 0.25 , physics will always win by placing ever decreasing return when doing beyond 100kph.

18. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi Ken - Based on the prototypes shown in the U.S. and the information given to us so far by Toyota representatives, there will be no difference in suspensions or suspension settings for packages with the 15" wheel and the 17" wheel, and no more "touring suspension". There was also no difference mentioned in the European brochure. If special suspension parts or tunings are available or used in Japan, people here will want to know all about it.

19. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    maybe the sunroof and solar panel will bring the airflow down from 0,25 and maybe the wieght up

so this wil decrease mpg and thats wy its only on the more fuel eff. 15 inch wheels?

20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ken-san, thank you very much!
    This chart is especially interesting as I've been recently reading "SAE 2004-01-0064" that details the differences between the NHW11 and NHW20 Prius, and it reports "As a result, the minimum specific fuel consumption of 225g/kWh has been achieved." (pp. 7.) The chart in the paper shows BSFC as a function of rpm, not power as in the sales chart:
    [​IMG]
    Using an rpm scale would not make sense in the sales chart because the 1.8L and 1.5L engines will have different power output as a function of rpm. The rpm chart from the SAE paper would need the MG1 operational line torque to convert to power. Regardless, the BSFC scale in the SAE paper is not very precise but the quote is exact and about 230 g/kwHr is closer to what my old man eyes always saw in the paper. Even my own data suggested a higher BSFC in the field.

I remember an obscure reference once claimed that BSFC measurements are made without the water pump. So going with an electric driven, not a mechanical driven, water pump makes a lot of sense as an in-vehicle, performance improvement.

BTW, the plateau above 40 kW on the 1.8L engine should correspond with the cooled exhaust gas recirculation. This is based upon the Lexus report that cooled exhaust is used to minimize temperatures at high power levels.

I've been thinking about whether cooled exhaust gas would help our 1.5L engine and I am not sure. For it to help, there would need to be a feed-back loop from the exhaust stream to manage fuel enrichment at high power. But there is no requirement at high power levels to trim the fuel since the goal is to protect the catalytic converters from damage. However, I may be able to use my hill climb test and Graham scanner.

The Graham scanner can read out the O{2} sensor voltages. I can repeat my hill climb test and record engine power, fuel consumption and at least one O{2} sensor. If open-loop, fuel enrichment occurs, going up the hill at speeds above 65 mph (104 kph), I should see the front oxygen sensor go low or duty cycle on the low side.

I'm not sure if I'll experiment with cooled exhaust gas recirculation in my NHW11. The easy part is getting a cooled gas stream to the air intake box. The hard part is the control circuit to meter in the gas in proportion to the air flow. It is a real puzzle.

Again, thank you for this material. I am looking forward to the Toyota SAE paper on the 2010.

Bob Wilson