1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Japanese accessory: OBD-II Auto Speed Lock

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by isoya, May 1, 2014.

1. isoya

isoya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    Next up, another gadget I bought from the Japanese Market that I have not seen anyone talk about here. This is a small device marketed as a 'Safety Add-on' that plugs into the OBD-II port (a diagnostics port under the dash just above the pedals) which adds the following functionalities to the vehicle:
    • Auto Lock all doors when vehicle speed reaches 15km/h
    • Auto Unlock all doors when pressing Park/Power Off button on vehicle.
    • Auto Unlock all doors on collision.
    • Sudden hard braking above 50km/h will trigger the hazard lights to blink 5 times.
    I have not tested all functionalities (especially not the 3rd one!) but at least the first two works flawlessly on my Prius+. 4th one I haven't tested as I heard its not good to do emergency braking during the break in period.

From my observations, the features are only enabled when the device is plugged in, and disabled when unplugged. So this proves that it does not work by altering any settings stored on the vehicle.

Anyway, here is the Japanese description with device dimenions:
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of the device I received:
    [​IMG]

And here it is installed under the dash on the driver's side. Not intrusive at all in my opinion.
    [​IMG]

I would unplug it every time I take the car for service though as they might need access to the OBD-II port to carry out the service and will wonder what this foreign object is!

The japanese description of the product states that this device is compatible with Prius alpha, Prius Gen3, RAV4, IQ and various other Toyotas so it stands a good chance it will work for other variants in other country. Again I took the risk and it worked out fine.

I am not certain if any of the above features might be standard behaviour on some variants but its certainly not standard on my UK Prius+ and not something that the dealership can 'turn on'.

Anyone interested to take the risk and try it on other variants (inc. Gen3), I am happy to help!

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks interesting, but unfortunately plugs into the same connector as my ScanGauge II.

(BTW - Welcome to PriusChat!)

PS: I think that unlocking all the doors on 'Power OFF' might be a Bad Thing - just think about it for a moment!
    DROID4 ?

3. isoya

isoya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks, not sure if I made it sound confusing with regards to 'Power OFF'. What I meant is the doors will unlock on Pressing 'Power Button' to turn off vehicle. You can lock the 'powered-off' car the usual way after you get out. Or unless you are referring to other safety concerns and I am missing the plot ...

4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I remember reading about reactions to a "feature" introduced into some autos here (USA) which unlocked all doors when the car was stopped and the parking brake was engaged. So, let's imagine you're driving through an unsavoury neighbourhood and you pull up to a red-light, on a hill… …I think I'd rather have my doors remain locked. I'd put your device into the same category as the auto-dimming rear-view mirrors and other such gimmicks which take control of my car out of my hands!

5. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The first 2 functions can be selected in the NAV on my V5.
    I like the 4th function which reminds me of the gadget I had in my previous car. When you press on the brake, the brake lights flash 3 times (with adjustable rate), then stay on until the brake is released.
    The 3rd function is standard on several current cars.

6. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    What WilDavis said.

Besides, I have my Scan Gauge II plugged into my ECU port and it's constant stream of info is more necessary to me than the auto features of this item.
    Currently I have it set to display RPM, Intake Air temp (F.), Water Temp (F.) and voltage. None of this data has any gauge or display on the v's dash.

#6 Eric "v", Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  7. Raj Rai

Raj Rai New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ------------
    @isoya - Please can you give the link from where you bought it? I bought one from eBay US and it works only first time around. Also, it has 8 or 9 pins, your device seems to have 4 pins. Cheers