1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Japanese engineering superior to ours?...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by endoildependency, Oct 11, 2005.

1. endoildependency

endoildependency New Member

good thread now...thanks, all, for contributions...

2. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why don't you just sell it already. It doesn't appear that you're of sound mind. Anyone that plays with cat feces just doesn't cut it with me. TROLL ALERT!!

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    bit extreme doncha think djasonw?

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So I guess I'm not allowed to mention it died? That makes me a troll?

5. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Well considering we rarely see use this forum for anything other than complaining about your own vehicle or pointing out how flawed a company Toyota is... (or in this particular case, how bad Japanese engineering in general is) Most of your posts here are negative.

But maybe you're just on some kind of misguided quest to balance out all of the "kool-aid" drinkers as you call them...

6. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, that's not entirely true. I do often go into bluetooth topics, wince it's near and dear to my heart. I just feel a need to jump in when people point out how infallable the Prius and/or Toyota is. And in this post, I just pointed out examples where American engineering has yet to be surpassed. And that's bad why? Wasn't the topic asking if it had or not?

I've defended my Prius too many times to count. It gets ripped by people, and I'll tell them when they're way off. But it has flaws. It's not perfect.

7. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Yes yes yes... Software and CPUs :rolleyes:

That's my expertise as well, and I agree that most good engineering in those fields are American... (although your understanding of the Cell processor is lacking... it like the Emotion engine before it have strong design cues from Sony and Toshiba... IBM brings to the table it's core ISA, and it's experience with it's knowledge of process and it's fab capability, but they didn't design the chip 100%).

But just mentioning cars aren't everything and pointing out two areas that Japanese haven't dipped their hands isn't really on topic...

it's more abstract. The question was is there something *culturally* different? That's a harder question, and one you can't answer by pulling out an example of a field where Japan doesn't have any major players.

From my experience studying Japanese culture, there *ARE* major cultural differences that differentiates engineering when compared against American culture. I would describe the work ethic there as more rigid, perhaps less creative, and less tolerant of tangential ideas.

8. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actually, the Japanese did try to enter the CPU market out in the 80s. That didn't work out so well for them.

But culturally, do not know. I think Americans do work longer and harder, and probably more dynamic. And I think we have a shortage of engineering students right now, which is going to hurt us in the long run.

9. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

The TRON Project is not new; in fact, it was poised to its mark more than a decade ago, in Japan's PC industry, but the U.S. government intervened. In 1989, Japanese electronics giant Matsushita introduced a BTRON PC, a machine that stunned the industry with its advanced capabilities. The BTRON PC had an 80286 Intel (Nasdaq: INTC) chip running at 8 MHz and a mere 2 MB of memory, but it could display moving video in color in a separate window. Also, it had a dual-booting system that could run both the BTRON OS and MS-DOS.

When the Japanese government announced it would install BTRON PC in Japanese schools, the U.S. government objected. It called the Japanese initiative "actual and potential market intervention" and threatened the move with sanctions. The Japanese, dependent on the U.S. export market, quickly dropped the plan. The U.S. government later withdrew its threat, but the damage had already been done. Nearly all Japanese companies involved in TRON-related activities had canceled their projects.

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/31855.html

10. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "I think Americans do work longer and harder, and probably more dynamic."

I think Japanese work longer and harder. You know what wives do? They brag about their husbands when they get home very very late because it means income. The cost of living is so high that I would not doubt the Japanese work longer and harder than Americans.

11. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Fantastic... the Amiga could display moving color video with 512K of memory. Yawn for BTRON! And a moment of silence for the beloved Amiga.

12. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

do you just make up random sentences when you don't know what to say just so it looks like you responded?

13. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No, I meant what you posted about the BTron was hardly impressive. At all. If that was the Japanese invasion, no wonder it failed. And thank god the Japanese gov't didn't shove those dogs into classrooms. And my spelling, while not perfect, is at a level where words such as random aren't mangled.

14. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

either you are stupid or can't read. Where does it say that it failed?

I also made no comment about your spelling

15. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Then I ask, did it succeed?

16. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

then I ask, can you read?

17. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Can you? I talked about the Japanese trying to enter the chip industry, and you send me a link to a Japanese project built around the Intel 286. Go you! :rolleyes:

18. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

where did I say that I am posting this in response to your question about CPUs?

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    gee whiz, if you 2 didnt live in separate towns, i would have thought you two were married to each other or something

20. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Uh-oh, it's about 300 miles or less between them.