1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Japanese head unit... model DSZT-YC4T

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by FiremanNZ, Aug 15, 2020.

1. FiremanNZ

FiremanNZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks, welcome the newbie! Just got my first Prius... a 2016 model, imported from Japan, all the bells and whistles, 4WD, two-tone Softex, Thermotec paint etc.

I've searched "DSZT-YC4T" both on this site, and on goggle, and I'm finding remarkably NO information on this...

I've been to Japan several times, rented Priuses from Toyota several times over the last 3 year or so - and the rental agent has always fiddled with the radio so that menus, satnav etc. come up in English. Changed the language.

Meet Charlotte (named by daughter!):

[​IMG]

Just arrived in NZ!

[​IMG]

And this is the radio... model DSZT-YC4T.

And as I said, searching has produced no hint of how to change the language to English. I've been through the thing using google translate, and I stopped by a Toyota dealer who has an employee who can read enough Japanese to be dangerous, and neither of us could find a 'language' setting anywhere!

Surprisingly NO relevant results on google for changing the language on this specific model of head unit, which I find surprising; am I truly the first to hit this problem?

Help? Do I need to actually reprogram it - as in, install new firmware - to get English? Or it impossible and I have to get a different Toyota head unit - the one they had in rental cars in Japan, which they definitely switched to English? Thanks!

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats! You're going get a few members here jealous with that Thermotec Lime Green paint!

There were several headunits available for the Gen 4 so is it possible that the rentals had a different unit and those had an English setting? This looks like the top-spec 9" version.

I'm hoping a Japanese member can chime in but we seem to have lost them recently.

FiremanNZ likes this.
  3. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Beautiful. Congratulations!

FiremanNZ likes this.
  4. FiremanNZ

FiremanNZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks for that. Shame about the loss of Japanese members!

I've poked through the settings using google translate again, and there IS a software update screen which invites you to push the button to open the screen and insert a... presumably SD card or CD... to update the software. Maybe it can be updated to a version that includes English language support? That would be something I would have to ask my Toyota dealership to look into, I suspect?

Screenshot_20200815-211840.png

Do you know, is there a definitive list anywhere of the various models of head unit that Toyota fitted to these cars in various markets? I mean the 'easy' way would be to locate an English language head unit from a Gen4 car from a scrapyard, but that could also be the expensive way - and NZ is a small country, so not many scrappers around.

I would like to find what unit they put in the Toyota rental fleet in Japan... heck, it might even be the *same* unit, but with different software - they put English as an option in their rental fleet, but JDM cars for the showroom only have Japanese...

(BTW looking through the legalese, the open-source software licensing stuff on the unit, has a lot of mentions of Aisin - I knew they made gearboxes, they're Aisin geaboxes in my Renault Avantimes, but I didn't know they made head units!)

Thanks again, any info welcomed.

5. David9962000

David9962000 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Did it come with an owners manual?

On my Prius more settings can be found in the dash using the steering wheel.

Can the dealer plug in their computer? Like to switch the reverse beep to one, I think that software can do a lot more.

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think this is Toyota's user manual for this model DSZT-YC4T head unit. Not sure if it is the same model as DSZT-YC4 in your car. Unfortunately, it is available only in Japanese.
    https://toyota.jp/pages/contents/prius/004_p_001/pdf/interior/navi/dop_navi/dszt-yc4t.pdf
    Searching for the manual, I found no mentioning of changing the interface language of the head unit. It has several mentions of language preference for DVD player spoken language as well as subtitles, but that is not what you are looking for. It may be impossible to change the interface language on this HU. Do you know the HU model # of the rental car you drove in Japan that had English interface?

#6 Salamander_King, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  7. FiremanNZ

FiremanNZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those are all good points! I already got that PDF and found the same as you, nothing about language change. So yes, it may be impossible to change the language... unless I replace the software with a different version which does have an English option, which is one of the things I'm asking about!

Unfortunately I have no idea of the model of the HU in the cars I drove in Japan, which could be switched to English. I've asked someone I know in Japan to try to go into a Toyota Rental place and find that out for me.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitive? No. I didn’t keep track or screenshot the accessory page where customers could choose their audio system. Sorry.

9. FiremanNZ

FiremanNZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh I didn't mean you, personally - I just wondered if anyone reading this was aware of a reference site where someone had that info.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not the easiest list to extract the information you are looking for, but looking at the instruction manual page from the Toyota Japan site might give you a good idea of GPS/Navigation HU models used for each year. It is again in Japanese, but under each year, the model number of HU used for all Toyota is listed. Some models are specific to the particular model of cars, but I did not find any that is Prius specific.

From the list of user manuals, it seems DSZT-YC4T is the only model used for 2015 Prius.

トヨタ アクセサリー | カーナビ/オーディオ | 取扱説明書 | トヨタ自動車WEBサイト

11. FiremanNZ

FiremanNZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks that is helpful.

Any advance on that? I've sat down with the very helpful service manager of the local Toyota dealership and she reckons that there may be a hidden service menu, or the Japanese rental cars are fitted with different software, or that it's possible that the Priuses I rented in Japan were newer models and had a more recent head unit than the DSZT-YC4T, which it appears was only available for one year.

Thanks.

12. cydia2020

cydia2020 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
  13. moha777

moha777 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi how much does it cost u.did u bought it through online auction pls

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

14. FiremanNZ

FiremanNZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I only just saw this? The car you mean? It was GBP 8,600 / USD 11,300 at hammer fall.

Then there's shipping, compliance etc, plus whatever tax you're liable to pay. It was a good deal, saved several thousand $ off what a similar car would be priced at in NZ.

15. Md Sazzad Hossain

Md Sazzad Hossain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any update on this?? My HU is also DSzt__, and struggling with japanese.. is there any way???

16. FiremanNZ

FiremanNZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like it's Japanese only.

And, just taking the Japanese unit out and... what in the name of fsck are these supposed to be?!

IMG_20201218_163202.jpg

I have googled and I know my only option is the Dremel, but seriously, what were they thinking of?! They certainly never intended the head unit to be removed!

17. FiremanNZ

FiremanNZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I found the bloody tool to remove them in the glovebox! Talk about hyper-organised Japanese!

IMG_20201218_173632.jpg

So, the unit is out. Turns out it's made by 'Fujitsu Ten', not Aisin as I originally suspected:

PXL_20201218_053222807.jpg

But, what in the name of the devil does all this do?! It MUST all do something, but 90% of these connectors have nowhere to connect to on the Ownice PX6 Android unit I'm installing as a replacement!

PXL_20201218_053253295.jpg PXL_20201218_053426690.jpg

Anyone got any clues?! Thanks!

18. Mohsin Chokder

Mohsin Chokder New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    5DEA2F07-EA5E-4759-8D94-05E7F2578161.png 0E23EA8A-A5FD-43F4-ACD2-917A4910CC20.png 5DEA2F07-EA5E-4759-8D94-05E7F2578161.png 0E23EA8A-A5FD-43F4-ACD2-917A4910CC20.png As far a I know, there is a SD card slot in most JDM players which will enable you to change software, by which you may get the ability to change the language.

Anyways, I am also getting a JDM Prius with the exact same player the next week

edit: Found this documentation from Toyota about changing the language.

Attached Files:

#18 Mohsin Chokder, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  19. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Did Ownice send you the harness? The oem plugs from the car should connect to the harness then from the harness to the Ownice.

FYI, I had Ownice for a couple of months but had issues. The main issue was that the screen would go sideways for some reason BUT all the icons were in the proper orientation if that makes sense..... As in if in landscape the icon was in the bottom right, I had to press that same spot when the screen went sideways.

Below example. The HOME icon (when properly orientated, is on the top left. But since the screen is flipped, it's on the top right of the physical display. I still need to press the top left of the screen to press the home button. I had to hard reset maybe 12 times for it to fix and then it would randomly happen again. Contacted Ownice who said it a software issue and sent me two updates.. Still no good. Then my return period expired. Now this $500 or so equipment just sits in a box.

I ended up going with a different brand which has a better display (QLED) and better specs: 6GB of ram and 128gb flash storage, plus it's 8-core. It's called TEYES. You'd be surprised how much better the colors and contrast are depending on the display type. 75163.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

20. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Huh, I remember your earlier postings from the other thread and was waiting for the ownice to drop in price more (they have a "sale" in a few days) to make it more "worth" it to change over

Glad I read this about the K3-PX6

It looks like they don't sell the K3-PX6 anymore, but the K6-High looks very similar to the TEYES with QLED and 8 core
    Ownice
    6G+128G Ownice Android 10.0 Car Player 2 din Radio GPS FOR Toyota Prius XW50 2015 2020 4G LTE DSP Optical Auto Stereo 1280*720|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress
    TEYES CC3?
    TEYES CC3 For Toyota Prius XW50 2015 2020 Car Radio Multimedia Video Player Navigation stereo GPS Android 10 No 2din 2 din DVD|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress

Which TEYES model did you get?