1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Japanese import 3rd gen Prius?

Discussion in 'International Owners' started by QuantumFireball, Mar 22, 2016.

1. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    I'm considering getting a 3rd generation Prius and noticed there are quite a lot of used Japanese imports for sale, both here in Ireland and in the UK. Does anyone have experience with these? Any significant differences or potential pitfalls? I noticed most seem to have aftermarket stereos fitted, not sure if they've been replaced to work with the local FM band or what. I believe the trip computer will be stuck in km/l but haven't heard much besides that.

I found a few forum posts elsewhere about people importing them only to find the batteries dead once they come off the boat, but these posts were from quite a while ago (some probably NHW10's) - maybe the exporters are better at preparing hybrids now, or the newer models are just more resilient to being left on a boat for a month?

Used Japanese imports are fairly common in Ireland (especially when the Yen is weak), and no modifications are required to make them roadworthy here (I know they're a bit stricter about things like fog lights in the UK).

2. lanigirl

lanigirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Keen to know more I'm considering importing a Prius from Japan to tropical Pacific Islands for the good gas mileage but am concerned abt battery as there's no thorough check pre shipping

3. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    I ended up importing from the UK instead. I'd say the risk of problems occurring during transport are probably lower for you since you're not as far away from Japan as I am.