1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jason is dead . . . Long live Jason-2

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Jul 3, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Last transmitter dies, finalizing retirement for ocean-sensing satellite | Ars Technica

[​IMG]

One should never personify inanimate objects . . . it is wrong and they resent it.

Bob Wilson

Cristino likes this.
  2. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Can someone explain why NOAA give a figure of 1.1-1.3 mm annual sea level rise (2005-12),while U of Colorado gives 3.2mm ?
    NOAA report refers to Jason.
    "The sum of steric sea level rise and the ocean mass component has a trend of 1.1 ± 0.8 mm/a over the period when the Paulson GIA mass correction is applied, well overlapping total sea level rise observed by Jason-1 and Jason-2 (1.3 ± 0.9 mm/a) within a 95% confidence interval."
    http://ibis.grdl.noaa.gov/SAT/SeaLevelRise/documents/NOAA_NESDIS_Sea_Level_Rise_Budget_Report_2012.pdf

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well the first thing I did was use Mr. Google to ask M. NOAA:
    source: Is sea level rising?

The first rule when dealing with a global warming denier is to independently check whatever they claim is fact. We often find global denier liars, the denier sources, are just as likely to use Breitbart ethics . . . quoting out of context.

So Mojo, were you just quoting some other liar? Watts perhaps?

Bob Wilson

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Oh Mojo, I just found a better map showing where the sea level is rising from NOAA:

Sea Level Trends

The Alaskan coast, Hudson Bay, Norway, Finland, and various islands in the Arctic Circle near Russia. It is almost as if some great overburden, some huge weight, has gone away and those areas are showing a decrease in sea level. It is almost as if the ground is springing up causing the local sea level to go down.

Bob Wilson

5. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting misconception .
    I wonder if you could provide some examples of facts being misrepresented by serious scientific skeptics?
    Ive been following the arguments for years and have yet to see any lies from the skeptic side.
    Whereas the AGW side is lies, exaggerations ,cherry picked data,fraudulent adjustments,inept measurements,conspiratorial blocking of peer review and funding.
    You better pray that your "noble cause" is valid,otherwise all your BS is only "pure evil".

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So in answer to the direct quote from the NOAA web site showing the humbug of your false claim:
    We agree there is only a moral issue . . . on your side. Our local climate denier, Roy Spencer makes no bones about it as does Sen. Inhofe. Since the enlightenment, engineering and science leaves behind such moral issue claims to those who live by faith and faith alone.

In contrast, engineers, scientists, and those who follow the lessons from the enlightenment live in the world of facts and data which is why the on-going, Jason mission, was and continues to be so important. Jason and Jason-2 is Galileo's challenge,"Look through my telescope." Then add to it Northern latitudes that seem to be springing upward as if some burden has been relieved.

In contrast, you and your side are condemned to calling everyone you disagree with liars and immoral. I'm OK with that as I grew up in the Bible Belt so I'm just curious, which flavor of religion do you drink?

Bob Wilson

hyo silver likes this.
  7. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hey if you want to refer to skeptics as "deniers"
    making an association with Holocost Deniers,
    I should refer to AGW BELIEVERS as brainwashed idiots who never present facts nor can accept them

Im quoting from the NOAA report.
    University of Colorado will surely be in the next IPCC report.
    But why ?
    Is it justified or pure fantasy?
    Please provide some justification for exaggerating sea level rise figures by 300%.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In software, this is called a loop. Reminds me of trying to teach a critter to sing, it won't work and annoys the critter.

The Jason mission continues with Jason-2.

Bob Wilson

9. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Im an Atheist unless I need help ,then I like Buddha.
    Dude you are the religious fanatic here.
    Church of AGW.
    Not a joke BTW.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    #5 "I wonder if you could provide some examples of facts being misrepresented by serious scientific skeptics?"
    This is something that we do from time to time here. Most recently Dr. Spencer's choice of which T records to compare to global models. Temperature are falling since 1998, atmospheric humidity is going down, CO2 increases don't come from fossil fuel burning, the sunspot cycle is ending... Honestly I can't remember them all.
    Bad on me to not remember them all. But not remembering any... that's not a good sign.
    Some of the most dramatic are T predictions (by Lindzen, and others), vs. instrumental records. But alas, those appear at the Skeptical Science website, and Mojo has roped that off. We are not allowed to go there.

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Along those lines (but not really related to sea-level dynamics) is this:

Climate change deniers using dirty tricks from 'Tobacco Wars'

The name of the Journal (Index on Censorship) is intriguing all by itself. Did not know that such a thing existed.

Pop over to the Journal and see that Sauven works for Greenpeace, so it might not be the most objective treatment. Just sayin'. Still we should maintain a big tent, consider what all voices are saying, and try to arrive at our own conclusions.

Next time I 'stop by the library' I will try to get a copy of this.

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense" -Buddha

13. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    On the "Ring of Fire" podcasts, they coined a phrase "prosticentists", a combination of prostitute and scientists, to identify 'experts for hire.' Folks who make a nice living touting their credentials, often not in the field of study, to make claims that omit data or just do bad math.

Bob Wilson

icarus likes this.
  15. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So you only believe the science which you are predisposed to believe.
    Any science which doesnt fit your paradigm is lies?
    What kind of scientist can ignore facts he doesnt agree with.
    Do you think that makes you a competent scientist?

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You may want to reconsider this inaccurate claim:
    Interesting term, "lies", with a 'moral' implication. But this is consistent with a religious based, a faith based opposition . . . like the Cornwall Alliance.
    Actually we do look at the data and that is your problem. We keep finding omissions, cherry picking and exceptionally poor math. Instead of taking a claim out of context, we simply go to the source and quote them accurately. For example, NOAA and sea level:
    Source: Is sea level rising?

This is what Jason and now Jason-2 have brought. Of all the global warming predictions, a rise in sea level is and remains the gold standard . . . and it is rising.

Bob Wilson

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Learning from mistakes...well, it can be done

ESDD - Abstract - Agnotology: learning from mistakes

To read the entire paper, click the pdf box on the right side. Free access journal

I find few analyses that go into so much detail. I find no analyses that examine 'pro-climate-change', publications in the same way, so that ought to be worth somebody's time.

Really there is tons that could be done, all aside from calling out 'liar'

Meanwhile, hats off to Mojo for going to the library to read the Sauven paper. The publisher (Sage) is not one for free-access journals. If others make the same trip, they could see if Mojo's assessment is a reasonable one. That's all me (and Buddha) are looking for...reasonable.

Speaking more specifically about carbon-cycling studies, nothing makes me happier than finding some conclusion that is not reasonable or not well supported by data. Believe me, they exist, I am working on two at the moment. It is correct though to say that one can meet resistance in correcting such errors. There is more than a little truth in Mojo's idea that people (even some scientists) take some things on faith.

18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    A list of 101 websites providing information about climate science

101 Top Web Resources on Climate Change » Environmental Science Degree

There is something for everyone there. From Skeptical Science and 350.org, all the way to Climate audit and CO2Science. So load up on your reasonableness and check them out.

Sea level had risen 2 meters (2000 millimeters) in the most recent 6000 years. That average is o.33 mm/year. Current rate is 3 mm/year, +/- something. I don't know if I would call that the gold standard of current climate change, there being others candidates. But it certainly belongs on the top 10 list.

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Of all the climate effects, sea level is pole-to-pole and spans the globe. At 75% of the earth's surface, outside of the atmosphere, the next most common attribute of the globe. It is the alcohol/mercury of the earth's temperture and has ample, geographical evidence for having changed in recent and ancient past.

Now I'm open to other proposed standards but the ones I am aware of have only recent, credible metrics. Few have geological records although I could be persuaded.

Bob Lutz is not someone I admire but he did buy land in the Florida Keys claiming rising sea level does not concern him. At 80+, he won't be arround when his grave washes into a hurricane surge. But then, the sea can recycle his corpse too.

Bob Wilson

20. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    What the hell are you citing?Please provide a link.
    Sounds like total bs to me.
    2 meters in 6000 years?
    The total rise for this interglacial is well over 100 meters.
    While your at it,
    Please show how the current 3mm per year is derived.