1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JBL 9 Speaker System sounds muddy...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by joeZinga, Oct 11, 2008.

1. joeZinga

joeZinga New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I recently bought a slightly used 08 Package #3 Prius to replace my 06 Package #2 that was sadly totalled.

I was excited to have the updated speaker system, but I have found that the 9 speaker JBL system sounds worse than the regular factory system I had in my 06 Prius. I appreciate the extra volume, but things just sound muddy with the new system.

Any ideas or tips to make things sound better? I really listen to every type of music...

2. wayside

wayside New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Try unplugging the center channel speaker.

It makes enough of a difference that it is worth the hassle.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sometimes it's enough to just change the equalization settings.

Tom

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unplug the centre speaker and adjust the bass/mid/treble. I have Mid -1, treble +1 and bass to your own liking.

5. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    UnPlug the center speaker, and you will be happy with your audio system. It makes a huge difference.

Take a butter knife and gently pry up the top and side corners of the speaker frame (facing interior). It will un-snap. Slide and lift speaker out. Unplug the wire to the speaker, tuck it back in the hole and snap the speaker back in.

6. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Our JBL system sounds great, and I never even considered unplugging anything. Please don't unplug anything until you've tried what I'm about to suggest first. Cue up one of your favorite songs, preferrably one with a lot of range (I used a drum and bass track actually...worked well) and go into your audio menu. At a reasonable listening level, adjust the bass, treble, and mid as well as the positioning (left to right/front to back) to your liking.

Give that a shot...see what happens.

Dave

7. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The JBL sound system is probably the single most unanimously criticized thing in the car.
    I quit listening to music altogether for months after buying the Prius.
    It literaly made my ears hurt.

I unplugged the center speaker and got a subwoofer, it's wonderful now.

I even plugged that speaker back in the other day, just to see if maybe it was me..... OMGosh...30 seconds later and it's unplugged again.

8. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    9-G Man, can you elaborate how you installed the sub woofer? Which channel? How did you wire it in, etc?

9. joeZinga

joeZinga New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Before I unplugged the center speaker, I messed with the equalization settings a bit, but nothing really did the trick to my liking.

I unplugged the center speaker and that sure did make a heck of a difference. I still had to mess with the equalization settings but now it sounds pretty good.

10. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Center speaker = poo

11. davidtm

davidtm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to your simple instructions, I finally took the "plunge" (just a toe dip, in retrospect) and agree that taking the middle speaker out of the equation helps. However, I miss a little of the fill-in. Wonder if there's a way to hook it back up, but turn it down about 75%?

12. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    is there any other high quality speaker that one can get as replacement for the oem center speaker?

13. mycarhasadent

mycarhasadent New Member

There are companies that make a speaker that will fit in the center location, but I would just leave it unplugged. Center Channels are generally useless and, in my opinion, make the sound worse.
    What I would do, and am doing, is replacing the front component speakers with a better quality, in my case a set of Jl audio QR series components. That will help tremendously

14. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I changed out my tweeters and added a sub. i have my bass from 0 to -2 my mid is -1 or 0 and my treble is -2 or -3 all depending on what i'm listening to.

if i use my car as an outdoor jukebox/motorhome 12v power jump/supply, then i boost everything up really high, so the sounds clear up by the time they get out of the car.. otherwise it's too mudded. try not to stay in the car at this point.. that much boost can be painful.

btw, my sub has a 4ft cord, so i can move it in and out of the car on demand. :)

15. PriusChick1

PriusChick1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Hi gman
    just wondering which brand subwoofer you used..is it self powered?
    did you make any other changes to the sound system? i'm worried because
    i have the Nav and bluetooth :( . kind of fearful to do amp mods and swap out speakers and other stuff. finding out that few people at the car audio stores know about the audio system in the Prius's, and then it's very limited. This is the best infomation i've come across so far.

16. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you feel that your are missing some 'fill-in' after unplugging your center speaker, increase the Mid Range EQ adjustment to at least +1. That should do the trick.

17. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

My apologies to both of you, I hadn't looked at this thread lately......
    I got a Kicker Amp and Sub. The sub is designed for narrow, behind the seat pick-up truck applications, but works great in the Prius hatch area and doesn't take up much space.
    Here is the link to my original thread, scroll through the whole thing for pics and details.
    It sounds absolutely awesome.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/audio-electronics/45759-kicker-amp-sub.html

18. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks 9G-man! It was quite refreshing to see a fix as simple as this.

19. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bass flat, midrange -2, treble +4 loudness on.

20. Ol Pappy

Ol Pappy New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Added Sirius radio (Sportster 4) to my 2004, which only increased my dislike of the 9 speaker sound. Luckily found this thread, and disconnected the centre speaker - like my car and music again! Hard to believe that a sound system would be designed such that you improve the sound by taking away a component - what were they thinking? Have had the car for one year and was limiting myself to talk radio because of the poor sound quality with music (despite adjusting the equalizer many different ways), but the addition of sat. radio forced the issue.

As for Sirius radio - tried it with a cassette connection, but had a high pitched, intermittent whine. Changed over to the Sirius FM wired modulator, and the connection and sound quality is excellent.