1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JBL Amplifier

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kurtjamesma, May 10, 2009.

1. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dude, WE DONE LAD!!! Looks good, bet it sounds great, and the PDF was a nice touch. I have a Cleansweep unit, I don't know if I am going to install it, or sell it. Gotta think about it some more.
    Why did you chose those particuar seakers? I AM thinking of a speaker upgrade, and Cutchfied recommended "Boston Acoustics S65" I can get a set at Amazon for about $60 bucks.
    Might give that route a shot!!
    Anyway, nice job, glad I could lend a hand with the diagrams!!!!!!

2. kurtjamesma

kurtjamesma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My original speaker choice were 2 sets of Polk 5251 5.5" component speakers with a 1" tweeter. I had them about two weeks just sitting in my office at home because something didn't seem right. I've had polks in my cars previously and liked them. Crutchfield gave me a good deal on them ($145 first pair, $89 for second pair), but I think I really wanted 6.5" instead of 5.5". I thought about the 6.5" Polks, but the price was too high.

I was looking for something else. These Clarions were $100 per pair from Crutchfield. My wife and I are driving to Vegas this Monday for three nights, and I just needed something other than the factory speakers.

My priorities were these:
    1. dynamat
    2. iPod integration with charging capability
    3. Aftermarket amp
    4. Speakers

The system does sound sweet. I changed the tweeter settings from 0dB to -3dB after a few days because the sound wasn't quite right (harsh). I'm thinking I may go to 0dB in the rear, and keep -3dB in the front.

Maybe I just like to play with the settings because I can. I'm also thinking that maybe I will upgrade the amp to one with a variable crossover points so the speakers won't bottom out by matching the lower output frequency response of the amp to the speakers. They don't bottom out now, but I give up a little volume. What's nice is that listening isn't tiring.

Now that I've installed the LC8, I can pretty much tweak to my heart's content. Maybe one of those EQs from AudioControl.

Actually, my next project is getting the Bluetooth and NAV audio to the currently unused center speaker. Can you help me with that?

I couldn't figure out that from the schematic. I was looking for the NAV to output to the left front woofer, but didn't see it. Did I miss something, or is it just not there?

Thanks again. I included the pdf so others could benefit and see what's involved.

I thought about the Cleansweep, but having to use that volume control seemed to me to defeat the purpose of what I wanted to accomplish. I wanted full factory functionality with a stealth install and better sound.:D

quote=KK6PD;880190]

Dude, WE DONE LAD!!! Looks good, bet it sounds great, and the PDF was a nice touch. I have a Cleansweep unit, I don't know if I am going to install it, or sell it. Gotta think about it some more.

Why did you chose those particuar seakers? I AM thinking of a speaker upgrade, and Cutchfied recommended "Boston Acoustics S65" I can get a set at Amazon for about $60 bucks.
    Might give that route a shot!!
    Anyway, nice job, glad I could lend a hand with the diagrams!!!!!!
    [/quote]

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aye Laddie, there's the rub! If I could get my hands on a board level schmatic of that JBL amb I could figure out the signal routing and do EXACTLY what your proposing! At some point in that amp there is a combining circut that mixes the audio info that we need!

Anybody out there have access to the 3 plug JBL amplifier schematic diagram?????

I looked through Toyota TIS and I don't think there a lot of "Board Level Maintenance" techs out there!!! All they will do is replace a box, done. I on the other hand open up "Boxes" that are broke, find the defective component/s, and replace them!!!

I am going to go to JBL and see if they can provide any help, but I sorta thinking they will pull the old "Proprietary Info bullpuckey" and not release the info..... I really do not want to rip apart my amp and reverse engineer the circut!

If and when I get info I will pass it along!!

4. kurtjamesma

kurtjamesma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's what I was thinking...

Wishing I was back in college with some EE majors to help me out.

5. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great stuff guys :D

QUESTION: Can I replace the stock speakers and stock JBL amp with aftermarket speakers & amp but use the stock JBL receiver?

I have the JBL system no NAV

6. nbojaxhiu

nbojaxhiu New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Please help out - radio on but no sound , in the screen shows everything well but no SOUND

7. Frank Tha

Frank Tha New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II

Did you solved you issue?