1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JBL - Anyone replace the head unit?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Jason Davis, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Jason Davis

Jason Davis New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all,

I've searched like crazy, and my apologies if this is an old question, but I am looking at a 2017 Prius Four with the JBL system. I've read all about how bad Entune is, although playing around with it today it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.

That said, I've had Apple CarPlay in past cars for a while now, and I am worried I will regret leaving it behind. Having the option to add it in later, and with it a larger and nicer screen would be good peace of mind.

Crutchfield says they have no aftermarket head units that fit the Prius with the JBL system. I'm guessing this is because there's an amp with the JBL system, and an aftermarket headunit wouldn't be able to talk to the amp? And the speakers would be wired to the amp, not the headunit I'm guessing.

I've found a few older threads that seem to mention replacing the JBL head unit, and don't mention rewiring all the speakers. Has anyone actually done it? There are SO many adapters, connectors, etc. that Crutchfield has listed for replacing the headunit in a non-JBL system, I don't think I could figure out which ones I needed if I had to pick the parts out myself.

Again - very sorry if everyone is tired of this question - I just couldn't find a post with a firm answer one way or the other.

Thanks for reading!

2. Jonathan Landicho

Jonathan Landicho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i replaced mine 2016 with ownice head unit still configuring the reverse camera but everything works

3. cydia2020

cydia2020 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I've replaced my 2018 to an Alpine Halo9 using the iDataLink Maestro (and toyota harness), everything seems to work fine after all these months including the steering wheel control and backup camera; there are some clippings when the volume is too high, I've tried to change the gain of the JBL amp but to no avail, I suspect it's my head unit.

4. IfChris_ThenPrii

IfChris_ThenPrii New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I’d be interested in hearing more on this Looking at a ‘16 4 touring on Monday and am planning on upgrading it with a 4500NEX. From what I am understanding the system is very different from the other Prii and that the harnesses may not work.