1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JBL Center speaker mod - reduced volume

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by SebMike, Feb 14, 2007.

1. SebMike

SebMike New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I pulled the center/dash speaker out of my Prius several months ago based on some threads in this forum. I liked the sound better than "stock", but also felt too much of the midrange disappeared by doing so.

I recently put a couple of 10W 10ohm resistors in parallel to make a 20W 5ohm resistor, and placed this in series with the signal wire feeding the speaker. The volume is cut drastically, but the speaker still makes noise.

I like the effect of less center speaker muddy midrange, but still getting some of the midrange to complement vocals.

Works for me, thought I'd share...

BTW, I have not done anything to gauge if the power handling/disspation of the resistors are appropriate. I don't crank the volume on the stereo, so I'm not too worried personally.

Mike

2. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SebMike @ Feb 14 2007, 06:07 PM) [snapback]390517[/snapback]</div>
    You could entertain using something like this: http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/vrautrhidevo.html
    made for home audio. It should work if you get one that matches the impedance of the center speaker....that way you could have independent volume control over that center speaker. You could hide the knob somewhere where it's not visible but still accessible....like off to one side in the glove box??
    Cheers

3. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    how do u take out the center spk??

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SebMike @ Feb 14 2007, 07:07 PM) [snapback]390517[/snapback]</div>

4. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

5. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here is good description. I saw photos somewhere, may be in the Nav lock bypass photos.. I would suggest using masking tape where you are going to use tool.

"The center speaker can be removed easily without disassembling anything else. The speaker is mounted to the grill assembly. The edge towards the back of the car swings up. I found I could work my fingernails and then fingers under the corner nearest the passenger seat, and just pull up to pop it out. Don't try to pull it from the edge towards the front of the car because that's the "hinge" side. Some others have suggested a butter knife wrapped in fabric, but if you can get it with your fingers only that's preferable. Be careful because that area will show marks easily."

6. oily_turtle

oily_turtle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Resurrecting an old thread here - took out the center speaker in about 3 minutes with a butter knife, my fingers and a phillips head. Sounds a ton better. Didn't even get the knife dirty, I'll use it tomorrow to butter my toast!

Just want to say thanks to the Prius owners knowledge base on this board. I joined tonight because I just got my new-to-me '07.

Thanks again,
    Nate

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats and welcome to PriusChat! Be sure to browse the Knowledge Base section!