1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JBL Premium not so Primo?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Tykal, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Tykal

Tykal New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got an '04 Prius with 29K miles and the Navi/Premium JBL system on Saturday and was enthusiastically looking forward to enjoying my listening experience during my commute only to find it apparently lacking in several areas:

1) No auxiliary input. Bummer. Could use a cassette adapter since it has the deck but the loss in sound quality isn't appealing. I've seen the Dice on here, and the VAIS products, and am wondering whether they're worth the price or whether an install of an aftermarket stereo is the better way to go. If I decide on the Dice or the VAIS (SLi or VML?), will they accomodate a non-Apple mp3 player and still show titles? If I go the aftermarket stereo install route, can the cassette deck be replaced and still retain all other factory functionality, or do I need to give up the CD compartment?

2) Is there a pause button? I realize the power off effectively does the same thing and probably saves energy, but seems an odd function to leave out (or make hard to find).

3) Where is my bass? I looked in the instrument case and in my ears and around the car, and I must be overlooking (or overhearing) something because the bass on my "drum and BASS" music is sorely lacking. Is there a known lack of low-frequency response with the system?

Any help or advice on modifications to the system, without significantly modifying my bank account (and requiring wife-approval) is very much appreciated.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've got the JBL "premium" stereo on my 06.

1) Aux input jack began as an option on the 06s. Be glad that you at least have the tape deck, unlike very stripped down models 06 and after which would have neither. (AFAIK, the tape deck was ditched entirely starting with the 06.)
    2) Not that I know of, but I almost exclusively use the aux input jack on mine.
    3) The bass is actually fairly good to me for a factory stereo w/o a sub.

3. Tykal

Tykal New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the responses. Mid-level bass seemed okay to me, but overall lacked the punch I had on the Mistu Galant rental I was driving for the last month.

Anyone have more info on whether the Dice or VAIS will show titles on screen and sync with the steering wheel controls if I use a non-Apple mp3 player? And if I choose VAIS, should I go with the SLi or VML?

4. PhazonPhobe

PhazonPhobe His name is Sora

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah...

I also have the '04 Package 9 which comes with the navigation and 9-speaker JBL system. I blew out the front two speakers in a matter of a week of owning it.

The back ones won't give up. Apparently they are better than the fronts, or so I'm told.

I went ahead and upgraded the factory JBL's to the higher end ones they offer.

I also put the 2 x 10" Kickers in the back.

In case it matters, I generally play my music (techno, dubstep, rap) around 45-50.

As for the iPod (iPhone in my case) integration, I just use a Monster Cassette adapter.

5. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Dice Silverline iPod input works only with the Ipod (Duh!) and will show titles, artists, etc, control the iPod from the steering wheel and charge the iPod. The aux input for other devices is 2 channel audio only - no charging/steering wheel control or display. The Silverline was recently discontinued.