1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JBL radio cuts out then quits

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by HybridSpin, Sep 16, 2013.

1. HybridSpin

HybridSpin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have 2010 Prius IV with the JBL 6 disc changer radio. The last couple of weeks the volume starts to cut out when it gets hot out and it is currently getting worse in cool weather as well. It cuts out with the forward movement of the vehicle (think of a playing card in the spoke of a bicycle wheel). Then eventually it cuts out all together until the car sits overnight and cools off. When the sound quits the volume nob no longer functions. Its stuck on what ever volume it was last at. The steering wheel buttons also don't work for the volume. The rest of the radio seems to function fine, can change channels, modes, etc. I can reach under the passenger seat when this is happening and the amp is not hot.

I know the JBL amp does most of the work, but how do I determine if it is the radio that is broke, or the amp? I've pulled out the radio and made sure everything was plugged in, same with the amp.

Also, because of this, I plan on replacing the radio with an aftermarket unit. If I determine the amp is good I will just get the PAC TATO, but if the amp is bad and I put in an aftermarket amp I need to know how the JBL speakers are wired. I know they are 2 ohm speakers, but how are the woofers wired into the squawkers, etc?

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The amp will contain all the needed crossovers and outputs for the system. It's not "just an amp" in other words. It likely has just the usual stereo line level inputs. But anything is possible. Bottom line is that absent a schematic diagram you'll have to pull it all apart to see what you have.

Your description sounds unusual, where acceleration and heat cause it to go out. There's very little heat generated in the head unit, so that sort of points to amp.

3. HybridSpin

HybridSpin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The amp doesn't get hot either. The heat is from the outside temperature. A few weeks ago it was around 100F. The cooler the outside temp the longer the radio will last.

Also, I was kind of hoping someone already has torn the speakers apart and could let me know how their wired (parallel, series, separate channels etc.) so I didn't need to