1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JBL vs Standard Audio

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by aznbo187, Apr 17, 2013.

1. aznbo187

aznbo187 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've heard the standard audio setup on the Prius, and it wasn't too horrible. Although I'm used to aftermarket audio systems, the factory Prius setup wasn't that bad and definitely do-able for a daily setup.

How much better, or worse is the JBL system? I really want to keep this car stock for the most part, but it needs to have a decent audio system. If I'm okay with the standard system, can I expect nothing but improvement going with the JBL factory setup?

Does the JBL setup have a dedicated subwoofer?

EdyJun likes this.
  2. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have heard not many like the JBL system, its more name than sound I think, You can add an amp and new door speakers in the mdl II Prius and have better sound for less then the cost of upgrading to the JBL system.

3. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    JBL isn't that much better. Did you try using the usb inputs? I found the sources make the system sound a lot better than FM.

4. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    forgot to add, I stream Pandora and it's very good IMHO. Also SAT, bluetooth or mp3's through usb is much better than HD FM.

5. aznbo187

aznbo187 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't plan on using radio much. I mean, is there even any good music left on the radio nowadays??

I do plan on using CD's, Aux/USB and streaming via BT like spotify and pandora.

Reading some more reviews, I think the JBL will do fine. Especially with some additional sound deadening.

6. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    your question isn't "If I'm okay with the standard system, can I expect nothing but improvement going with the JBL factory setup?"

so my response was it's not much better and to be more specific, I would be unhappy if I actually paid for JBL.

7. aznbo187

aznbo187 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the input. I'm looking for a used Prius, so it will be more of a "if it comes with it, great" but I won't pass up a good deal on a Prius if it doesn't.

Sfcyclist likes this.
  8. JDBreaux

JDBreaux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    JBL has 7x10 speakers in the front doors.

9. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    my 2010 JBL is fine. I might end up adding an amp and a sub in time. But it thumps one down the road in it's stock configuration, streaming from my iPhone or with SAT. The Nav gets me where I'm going when I need help. Never got me lost. Much easier than trying to watch my phone nav.

10. Jimi1976

Jimi1976 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just picked up a 2010 III, w/ nav and JBL.
    Dealer gave me a loaner couple days later to repair some paint chips, and it had the standard radio. It is sounds like crap compared to the JBL system.

Granted, the JBL is not the best, but for this car class, the JBL system is well worth the upgrade

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the JBL audio system well enough in my 2011. What I don't like on the freeway is the road / tire noise on anything but the smoothest asphalt. The noise really brings down the sound system. Maybe I'll add sound insualtion.

Base audio system, like most of them .... makes lots of midrange / treble sound, but there is no bass or power. Quite unsatisfying to me.

12. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I'm wondering if Persona speakers are different as I find my bass pretty good.

13. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    For 2013, you need to get the Prius IV to get the JBL audio system. Lots of $ to spend for what is supposed to be an economy car.

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

14. TowDawg

TowDawg New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just bought a 2010 III last night, and it has the JBL system with NAV. While the JBL system was not something I was "looking" for, it sounds surprisingly good. Doesn't distort, good balance, and a good bit more bass than I expected.
    To be honest, I've never listened to the base system, so I don't have a good comparison. I plan on leaving the Prius as-is bc it sounds fine (and it's mainly just a commuter car). And this is coming from a guy with custom stereos in all my other cars.

15. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    i have a 2010 V and the JBL can thump good. It shakes my mirror. And i dont listen to music i would consider heavy bass. I like if i am rocking out to some 80s metal i can hear the guitar shreds and the bass drum and the cymbal as well.
    I say the JBL is one awesome system. Sure there are after market but i like the JBL just fine

mgb4tim likes this.
  16. calvin mcgill

calvin mcgill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    JBL system really rocks my car. I'm going to keep it stock as I use the stero everyday. Keep the JBL.

17. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I love the JBL with a USB stick. Look on this forum for the settings. I used them & improved the sound some.

18. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    By the way at least on the JBL with the nav unit there is an option when setting the sound front to back and the equalizer there is a option for dsp sound and i have it on and it seems to really bump up the treble and bass.

19. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    it's finally nice to hear positive words about the JBL system

20. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I can't see what anyone could complain about. I have no doubt if you spend enough cash you can buy a superior sound system but this one works great. Unless your in your car all day why do it. Spend the money on something else