1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JBL w/out Nav, volume doesn't work

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by cgates30, Feb 27, 2014.

1. cgates30

cgates30 Junior Member

The MFD works and I can change modes and stations, but no volume with the audio. Nothing for bluetooth handsfree, am/fm/aux/cd, etc.

When I touch the sound button, I see the following:
    photo (2).JPG (it isn't upside down in my car!).

I cannot change the treble, bass, or recenter the audio using the front/back/L/R buttons. Any suggestions?

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    ok if it doesn't have nav, its not jbl. therefore, if its a base unit, its junk and sounds like dooky anyway. get a 2 din touchscreen from crutchfield that has all the features you would like and replace the factory junk. it will sound better even with the pathetic oe speakers, which you should also replace asap.
    seriously, it appears your head unit took a dump. a good aftermarket head unit is an easy upgrade which you will love, unless you're one of those dorks that doesn't really like music anyway.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do the volume buttons work on the steering wheel as the radio front panel controls sometimes become flaky. Also pressing both volume buttons on the steering wheel mutes the sound.
    When operating the volume controls does the MFD show the volume level at the top of the screen.

John (Britprius)

4. cgates30

cgates30 Junior Member

I pressed both up/down volume buttons on the steering wheel, and nothing happened. When I press the up or down volume button, I do not see anything on the MFD. The mode and up/down tuning buttons do work on the MFD. When I place a call from the MFD, I can change the volume on the MFD and with the buttons on the steering wheel; however, there is no sound. Is there a way the test the amp?

5. jwphx

jwphx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I experienced the exact same problem. Bought a salvage radio and installed, still no volume. I pulled the fuse for the JBL amp and replaced it with the spare in the fuse box and now everything is fine. The fuse I pulled looked fine but obviously, something was wrong. I'm leaving the replacement radio in since my volume and tuning nobs gave out long ago.

6. cgates30

cgates30 Junior Member

Well, I replaced the fuse but that didn't solve the problem. Hmmm. I hate to start replacing parts if I can't tell if they're bad. I've read several reports about replacing the headunit or amp without resolving the issue, etc.

7. Jeff Tremble

Jeff Tremble Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    CGates, Have you been able to fix this problem? I am still trying to work on mine which is having the same problem.

8. Jordi

Jordi New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm facing the same problem now.

any solution ?