1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JD Power Prius Rating 2016

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by 'LectroFuel, Jun 24, 2016.

1. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The JD Power quality survey was recently released. I immediately went to the Prius rating and saw that it got mediocre scores. Consumer Reports rates the Prius as one of the most reliable and best quality sedans out there, but JD Power apparently doesn't. Since when is a Beetle, Jetta, or Buick Verano better quality than a Prius and a Civic is worse than a Dodge Dart AND every "compact car" (except the BRZ)? These ratings seem important, but sort of distrusting.

I looked through almost all of the vehicle classes on JD Power and disagreed with every set of ratings (mostly because Hondas were at the bottom of many lists). I attached the pics below of the ratings for compact cars

Do you guys trust these ratings or even care about them? I don't.

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    jd power takes bribes for their ratings. meaningless. toyota won't play the game. but for the companies who make crap cars, it's cheap money. and jd power does a lot of television advertising, convincing the public that they actually know something about cars.

which they don't.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as manufacturers were concerned, with the JD Power "2016 us initial quality study", TOYOTA hit 4th spot, behind KIA, Porsche and BMW. But I understand that is INITIAL brand new quality. The list was bottomed by VOLVO, FIAT and SMART.
    [ 2016 U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS) | J.D. Power ].

[ In JD Power's "dependability" study, TOYOTA was again in 4th spot - behind LEXUS, Porsche and Buick. ]

In this dependability study, Prius rates 3rd in the Compact class behind a Buick and Corolla.
    upload_2016-6-25_10-26-16.png

I'd probably put more rank on a dependability study - which is how it stacks up in the long term, rather than how it appears to be designed and built initially.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if porsche is ahead of toyota, you can knock me over with a feather.

'LectroFuel and alanclarkeau like this.
  5. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I thought the JD Power study was based on a short ownership time? I did one of these on a 2002 Prius. So, long term which CR is more concerned about, and JD Power is more into the short time ? Also Motor Trend is more concerned how you will advertise your award about them than anything else. I don't put any weight on JD power anymore. All above in my humble opinion.

bisco and 'LectroFuel like this.