1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JDM / Japanese VIP Styling: My Prius III Build

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by HAWAIIANBUILT, Sep 30, 2010.

1. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I guess you can say the same thing about me. I "pedal products" for Panson, except that's inaccurate as neither Rodney nor I get any money from them. We just get parts for free or at a reduced discount in exchange. Being the first to install/test is simply part of the fun. Nobody is criticizing your choice to flog your car at autocross as some find that quite pointless.

You sound a lot like our dear friend Electric Me. I'm sure he has a serious rant in store for you as you got the Prius Plus springs ;)

HAWAIIANBUILT and mnml like this.
  2. HAWAIIANBUILT

HAWAIIANBUILT Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    HEY PRIUS CHAT FOLKS !!!

:):):):)

I am happy to have met many Prius folks and their Prii along the way since I purchased my Prius in 2010.

I am thankful that I can share my experiences in modding my Prius with many folks here on PriusChat. Traditionally, here in the US the Prius has not been synonymous with modding. And so, that is why I wanted to purchase the Prius and see what can be done with it !!!

There are many great companies here in the US and around the World that offer products for the Prius. With over 5 Million Prii sold internationally how can one not want to be a little individualized?!

Like anything in life we receive criticism. Either Positive or Negative, it is up to us how we decide to view and handle it and ultimately allow it shape us. I've received many different types of criticism from Day 1 and, I continue almost 3 Years later because it is constructive criticism that allows me to see many different perspectives.

My Prius is my Daily Driven vehicle. I drive my Prius to many shows within and outside of California. I am lucky to have Sponsors that have supported me from the beginning of this project. I am proud to represent a Hybrid category very new and sometimes non-existent at most of these Shows.

I only work for 1 Company. I represent All of my Sponsors as best I can. If there is a question beyond my capability I am most happy to point others to the Companies and Manufacturers directly.

I have built great lasting relationships with folks here on Prius Chat, at the Shows and Events I go to, with the Companies, my Sponsors, and everyone that stops me in my Path asking ... "Wow, Is that a Prius?!"

I guess I've always been an individual that likes to do things out of the ordinary, see things in another light, and finds another route or detour.

I am thankful for being part of, and being supported by so many in such a Very New and Very Small Prius Modding community.

[​IMG]

I can only ask to Please Respect One Another and My Build Discussion Thread.

Keep up the Great Modding Folks !!!

Rodney

3. HAWAIIANBUILT

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello BigPete !!!

I have not found a way to work a clip for the front of the Inverter Cover at this time.

What I ended up doing is placing it Underneath the Front Shroud Cover to hold it in place.

Here is what I did ...

Overview of the Inverter Cover underneath the Front Shroud Cover

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Because of the thickness of the Inverter Shroud Cover I shaved the Front Shroud Cover (Lip Area Edge) to accommodate this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By shaving the lip edge, this also helps the Front Shroud Cover sit as flat as possible so that the push clip fastens correctly :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Installed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Complete !!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps !!!

Rodney

4. BigPete

BigPete Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like a good trick! May give that a go! Thanks again.

HAWAIIANBUILT likes this.
  5. BigPete

BigPete Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just been out and done it, sorted!!!

Managed to get a push clip in the bottom of the cover aswell, ideal!

Attached Files:

6. J Dunn

J Dunn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Rodney! I was gonna do my rear door handle LEDs today but when I pulled the B panels off I noticed that it's a plug that goes into the door jam...not like the front which is just wires ran through the door. How did you wire the rear door handle LEDs? Thanks in advance!

7. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Why do the pics have to be repeated to make a reply? Makes for a long thread...

To clean up that incomplete/missing fastener look,,,
    You could cut the shank of a fastener off, then just glue the head in place on that oval slot.
    In the 'Biz' we call that "Rubber Nut", a fastener not connected to a nut underneath. ( A big No No ).

8. BigPete

BigPete Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Was going to do that, but got it to fix properly, thanks anyway.

9. Bullet Salvador

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hi Rodney,

You are a true inspiration to many people in the Prius Community, me included.

I was wondering if you knew a good place to get help setting up side mirror lights setup and a good place to get the roof, spoiler, and back end painted (or do you recommend vinyl?).

Thank you so much and I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,
    Bullet

10. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    U've got pm

11. HAWAIIANBUILT

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Hey Justin !!!

If you're able to pull that plug out by pushing on the tab (on the top of the plug) you will notice there is an open channel where you can fish the wire through !!!

That's it !!!

Hope this helps !!!

Rodney

12. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    hey Rodney, how much does it cost to buy all the accessories needed for the door handle led mod ?

thanks

13. HAWAIIANBUILT

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello Bullet !!!

Thank you for the kind words, I enjoy helping out and sharing my experiences whenever I can !!!

As far as the Side Mirror Lighting, I have done it myself and I believe user "SFV41901" has messaged you as well !!!

And in regards tot he Roof, Spoiler, and Back End painted I can only recommend "Imperial Body Shop" in the city of La Habra for Paint / Body Work. I can only attest to their Quality myself. I have been going there for all of my cars since 2004. They are great folks and I am very satisfied with all the work they have done on my Prius. You can contact them at www.IMPERIALBODYSHOP.com / (714) 879-9092. Contact the owner Grigor and tell him I sent ya !!!

If you decide to have the items wrapped, in the past I have wrapped my items myself. I have not had a company do any wrapping for me. However, the great folks at www.TINTFACTORY.net has installed my 3M Crystalline film to perfection and they also do Wraps. Feel free to contact Frank there at (310) 815-1013 and tell him I sent ya !!!

I hope this helps !!!

Rodney

14. J Dunn

J Dunn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perfect, thanks!

15. HAWAIIANBUILT

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Hello UCSMFU !!!

Altogether I believe I paid around $20.00 total.

At the time of this post. I did not see the 1" Strip Lighting in the 6000K White Color which I purchased from www.V-LEDS.com where I purchased them from.

Please contact them for product availability or you can Google search another company that sells a comparable product.

Hope this helps !!!

Rodney

Bullet Salvador likes this.
  16. swaggingprius

swaggingprius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Hi Rodney,

Question about your wheels. They do not look staggered from the pics, yet with the offsets you selected pretty much does not allow you to rotate tires. Could you have chosen 49 offset for all 4 and run 12mm spacers in the back? This way you obtain same flush look and clearance? (Unless lip size is different front from back)

BTW, a lot of the stuff that has happened to my car comes from yours.

Thanks

17. HAWAIIANBUILT

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    HEY SWAGGINGPRIUS !!!

Sorry for the Late Reply !!!

I specifically chose the different offsets to accommodate a Wider Lip in the Rear !!! If I did run the same front offset of 49 all around then yes the Lip would be all the same, which I didn't want.

Hope this helps !!!

Congratulations on your Build !!! I am very happy to have helped you in your Build !!!

Have a Great Weekend !!!

Rodney

18. HAWAIIANBUILT

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    HEY THERE PRIUS CHAT FOLKS !!!

Hope you're all having a Great Friday !!!

The Latest Mod to the HBII Ride was Completed Today !!!

Purchased from JP USA : JP USA Co, Ltd. / VIZAGE
    **This item is currently Not listed on the site, but please contact them for Availability and Ordering**

This is the Rear Deck Wing Lip Spoiler !!!

This Item makes a Great Subtle Accent piece to the existing OEM Wing without detracting from the Original Styling, but just enough to add an Amazing Character Line to the Rear Wing Area !!!

Here are my Pictures !!!

**PLEASE NOTE**
    The Item comes Unpainted. I wanted this to match the existing Rear Deck Wing which I had already painted to match the Prius.

And so I took the JP Rear Deck Wing Lip Spoiler to the Great Folks at Imperial Body Shop in La Habra, CA.

Delivery

As you will see, there is a subtle lip design on this item which creates a nice character line to our existing OEM Spoiler.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Underside comes with 3M Tape affixed for Installation

[​IMG]

Installation

Preparation

Use Rubbing Alcohol to prepare the surface and remove from dirt, oil, and grime ...

[​IMG]

I used Painter's Tape to help gage alignment.

[​IMG]
    The Five Axis Method of Installation

[​IMG]

Before Pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And AFTER !!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see compared with the Rest of the Body of the Prius, the Paint Match was Perfect !!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall I am very Pleased with Both the JP Rear Deck Wing Lip Spoiler and the Quality Paint Match from Imperial Body Shop !!! This product Sits perfectly Flat against the OEM Rear Deck Wing and is Quality Crafted.

A great combination to complement the Clean Lines of HBII !!!

For all your JP USA needs feel free to contact Masaya at JP USA at : JP USA Co, Ltd. / VIZAGE

**Again, this item is currently Not listed on the site, but please contact them for Availability and Ordering**

Please tell Masaya, I sent ya !!!

[​IMG]

Happy Prius Modding Folks !!!

Rodney

Tracksyde, mnml, ockevin and 3 others like this.
  19. BigPete

BigPete Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This looks great! When you say it comes unprinted is it the same as the original black spoiler finish so can go straight on?

Any idea who it is made by as I'm in the UK so would be easier for me to get?

20. HAWAIIANBUILT

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello BigPete !!!

This item comes unpainted. It is has a dull black finish to it that does not match the factory original painted spoiler. I highly suggest you have this painted prior to installation for optimum and lasting results.

This item is manufactured by JP in Japan and can be purchased at www.JPUSACO.com.

Please contact Masaya there and ask him for availability and shipping information to the UK.

Tell Masaya I sent you !!!

Hope this helps !!!

Rodney

BigPete likes this.