1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JDM Mirrors - Prius PlugIn Complete

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Frank Perkins, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Frank Perkins

Frank Perkins Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I completed the install of my JDM mirrors last week and it's by far my favorite mod/accessory so far. I thought I would post some additional tips in addition to the great info that's already available.

HowTos. Use these guides:
    Parts:
    • I ordered from mitaccessories1 on ebay. These are the painted versions and are only 135 dollars. A pretty CHEAP project. Prius LED Mirror covers
    • Note that you are only buying the mirror covers and LEDs which get installed into your existing housing. Lucky for us the housings are already setup to install the lights.
    • If you don't know what the paint code for your car is, use this color reference chart
    One concern I had is how closely the paint color would match the OEM paint. This is not a great picture, but I could hardly notice the difference side by side while on the hood of my car. When they are installed, you'll never be able to tell the difference. I doubt if most normal prius owners would even notice you had blinking mirrors!

mirrorColorsCompare.jpg

After reading all the threads, it may be confusing on which wire goes where. I created this little cheat sheet to ensure I was connecting the right wires. Obviously you can test as you go, but this helps a little:

Screen Shot 2013-07-15 at 8.55.07 PM.png

Some other tips:
    • It may not be clear, but you actually take the mirror assembly off the car. Lay it on a flat surface as you try to get all the clips undone at once. Previous installers used coins but I just used a bunch of screwdrivers
    • The mirror kit comes with wires attached the leds and then wire extenders which have a 2 and 3 wire connecters. You have to push the soldered tips into the housing and then they'll click in place. These should be mounted just above your speaker. Use the shorter set of wires on the driver side so that you can run the passenger side over to the driver side.
    • To get the wires from the passenger to driver side, you can do it behind console. I pushed the wires through and then used an electrician's snake to fish it out. I didn't get it the first few times, but it only took another 5 minutes to do.
    • When putting the mirror back together, you have to click the mirror back onto the white housing. Slide a screw driver down, with some padding against the black part of the mirror and then push down on the mirror to have it click into place.
    • When you are trying to fish the wires from the door into the car via the rubber boot, disconnect the boot from the interior side. This will allow you to compress the boot to easily fish the wires in.
    • The blue wire in the a-frame was a pain in the butt for me. First of all, I was nervous about playing near the airbag. Really, there is nothing you can do to really screw it up, but getting to that blue wire is not a slam dunk either. You have to remove the tape around it and then fish it out because it's behind some of the wires. Once you create a little slack, you should be able to tap into it. I didn't use a T-tap and used this type which was easier for me.
    • For me, it took about 4 hours to do. The driver side took a lot longer and after you get the hang of the first mirror the passenger side is relatively easy.
    • Make sure you have the necessary parts and tools. you'll need the screws (doesn't come with the kit, see other threads for size), extra wire taps, electrical tape, zip ties, wire stripper, needle nose pliers, pliers, wire cutters, head lamp (light) etc.
    Overall, a fun project for the afternoon which greatly enhances the look of your car.

JDMMirrors.png

2. D Unit

D Unit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the post! I have Philatc and CivicSky already bookmarked but your cliffnotes seem to make it even easier.

3. 4npower

4npower Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tag for good review

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Technically it's not JDM (since the JDM one doesn't have the puddle lamps or the white LED "image" lamps) but it is cool and it would be nice to have it some day. I'll have to find the time to do it (like you said, $135 isn't bad for a mod like this).